The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

In Medias Res

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Roger the Alien
In Medias Res

I really like this card as it absolutely fits the theme of Stuntman. 

It makes no sense to play this card during his turn, for example use Cliffhanger during the environment phase. 

Stuntman is capable of interrupting each phase, nevertheless In Medias Res encourages peacocky Ansel to be first in line as if he gets his additional turn all other heroes will also benefit. 

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I don't recall him being able to interrupt a Draw Phase or a Villain turn, but yeah...he certainly breaks in pretty often!

Roger the Alien

Phase was meant to be turn, sry. 

I mixed it up. 

I just wanted to say that it doesn't really matter if he is the first or fifth hero because he just acts as he wishes but In Media Res lets him say: I have to be the first hero :P Peacocky Ansel. 

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

I placed in other positions, Still makes him the star. I usually do random order too.

But is Legacy still first of Mr. French men.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Dramatic Cliffhanger destroyed by THAT CARD to play In Medias Res works great!
NO MORE DESTRUCTION FOR YOU, DAWN! AHAHAHAHAH!
Ahem.
Back on topic, any villain play that destroys X/All hero ongoings could be interrupted by IMR if you already have DC out. Tried it in the VG, did exactly what I expected with Baron Blade's Devious Disruption. Destroyed DC first, allowed me to play a card, played IMR, Ta-Dah! Its Stuntman's turn again, no additional destruction or damage :)
~Komori

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

He can certainly interrupt a villain turn, with something like Dynamic Syphon.

I just thought of an interaction I'd like to test, though.  Forced Deployment puts the first minion in play.  That triggers L'Embuscade, allowing Stuntman to use a power. He uses Pistolet-Mitralleur.  This allows him to play a card: In Medias Res.  Forced Deployment never gets to finish.  Voss cries.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

That... is not working as intended. Everything that starts before he plays In Media Res should finish resolving in Stuntman's turn. The minions wont get to act but Forced Deployment should put them all into play.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

Is that how it worked out at the end, I stop keeping up with Stuntman after a while. Did we ever finish an FAQ for all these cases?

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

In Medias Res interrupts and stops everything. It should work like MindWanderer describes. There may be bugs still around, since it goes against most of the rules =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

That's... really not how it was in playtesting. Huh.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

speedyolrac wrote:

Is that how it worked out at the end, I stop keeping up with Stuntman after a while. Did we ever finish an FAQ for all these cases?

It was the consensus among playtesters (after Don't Dismiss Anything playing Know When to Hold Fast was sited as precident) but we never had an offical ruling from Christopher.

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

I'm pretty sure this the Sentinels of the Multiverse card that I had the biggest hand in creating. I'm glad people are enjoying it!

(Unless you count Puzzle-Solvin' Legacy, of course)

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Matchstickman wrote:

That's... really not how it was in playtesting. Huh.

Yep I was lost on that initially too.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Had it been this way in playtesting I would have argued against it even being a thing, that is far too powerful.

Powerhound_2000

At worst it’s not repeatable at least which is the only consolation here. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Trajector
Trajector's picture

PeterCHayward wrote:

I'm pretty sure this the Sentinels of the Multiverse card that I had the biggest hand in creating. I'm glad people are enjoying it!(Unless you count Puzzle-Solvin' Legacy, of course)

Oh, we do.
bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

We do, but Christopher doesn't. Which is a shame, because I would've killed for Cleverest Legacy in foil. :(

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

Had it been this way in playtesting I would have argued against it even being a thing, that is far too powerful.

If it’s any consolation, I would have argued to keep it exactly as it is.  I always had it act as an interrupt in testing, and Christopher got a kick out of it.  That  interrupt potential is the specific reason there is only one and it removes itself. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

FWIW, I agree that it shouldn't interrupt literally everything. That would result in, for instance, one-shots remaining in play (since they only go to the trash when they finish resolving). Same for cards that are in the middle of being destroyed. Nothing in the rules suggests that a card should stop resolving just because the turn or phase changes.

It also just occurred to me that Stuntman has the ability to reconcile Citizens Truth and Dare.

Submit your games here!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

MindWanderer wrote:

Nothing in the rules suggests that a card should stop resolving just because the turn or phase changes.

That sure sounds right to me.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Roger the Alien

MigrantP wrote:

In Medias Res interrupts and stops everything. It should work like MindWanderer describes. There may be bugs still around, since it goes against most of the rules =)

Hi John, I have a question after reading this thread and your statement. 

I played a game vs. Deadline and he destroyed some environment cards. After that I chose that his first target should be Stuntman. Legacy had „Lead from the front“ in play, Benchmark had „Intervening path calculator“ in play. I could redirect the damage and the new target was Benchmark. After Benchmark received damage I chose „Moving Target“ from Stuntman to be triggered first instead of „Subcutaneous Cybernetics“ from Benchmark which would let him heal if I discard a card. I triggered „Moving Target“ and I used „Pistolet–Mitrailleur“ which dealt damage and it let me play a card. I chose „In Medias Res“. 

I know that „In Medias Res“ interrupts all card effects which already started, Deadline didn‘t continue to deal damage for example. 

Here is my question: After I jumped to Stuntmans turn I was asked if I still want to discard a card from Benchmark to heal him. Is it a bug or does it work as intended because I chose „In Medias Res“ to be resolved before „Subcutaneous Cybernetics“ and Benchmarks card was still in the queue, it didn‘t start its effect therefore it couldn‘t be canceled?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Braithwhite wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

If it’s any consolation, I would have argued to keep it exactly as it is.  I always had it act as an interrupt in testing, and Christopher got a kick out of it.  That  interrupt potential is the specific reason there is only one and it removes itself.     

Being able to stop OblivAeon's 9999 damage card outright? Not something a mere Stuntman should be able to do.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

@Roger - That would be a bug, nothing else should be still happening after In Medias Res is played.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Braithwhite wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

Being able to stop OblivAeon's 9999 damage card outright? Not something a mere Stuntman should be able to do.

Nor something just any old flak jacket should be able to do either, but it does.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Is the sound for IMR available to sue as a ringtone?

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

dclietz
Playtester

Braithwhite wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

Me too. I'm usually all about balance, but In Medias Res is so awesome and fun that I argued for one copy. Plus, it isn't always awesome - it has very high upside, but sometimes it can be hard to use. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Rules question that I can't figure out easily from watching the app (and is difficult to set up): How do "reveal" cards work when interrupted by In Medias Res?

Armed and Dangerous, for instance: "Reveal cards from the top of the Villain deck until a Device card is revealed. Put it into play. Shuffle the other revealed cards into the Villain deck. Play the top card of the Villain deck."  That has the potential to set off a trap mid-play, which means that the cards were in fact removed from the deck (allowing the trap to be on top).  They're in a sort of limbo space, not in a deck, not in play, not in the trash.  If the trap, or the Device entering play, triggers En Medias Res somehow, where do the other revealed cards go?  Back where they came from, on the deck in the same order they were in, would be my guess, but that's based on nothing.  It would be just as valid to say they go to the trash (where cards usually go when they fail to go anywhere else) or get shuffled back in the deck (where they would have gone had the card resolved).  And what if the card was Primeval Eruption, which makes some cards go to the trash and other into play?

Submit your games here!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

So the video game currently causes In Medias Res to cancel any current cards that are doing their effects? I personally think it would work like what happens when The Scholar plays Know When to Hold Fast thanks to Don't Dismiss Anything. Which I am fairly certain does not cease the effects of Don't Dismess Anything.

payprplayn

Is it still supposed to work that way (interrupting everything)?  If so, I just came across a bug:

Matriarch played Horrid Cacaphony

>Positive Energy Field triggered

>Horrid Cacaphony destroyed Planquez-Vous

>>Action Hero Stuntman used All My Own Stunts

>>>Action Hero Stuntman played In Medias Res

>>>>Positive Energy Field Triggered

>Horrid Cacaphony continued to resolve...

All of this was nested within other resolutions (another Horrid Cacaphony triggering Mask of the Matriarch, as well as several Fowl and Positive Energy Field Triggers).

Powerhound_2000

Have you sent feedback to Handelabra from in game or at http://handelabra.com/contact/ ?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Never got an answer to my last question, but here's another weirdness that showed up in the video game.

Voss played Forced Deployment, and I was able to use L'Ambuscade to interrupt it with In Medias Res when the first minion (a Banshee) came into play.  So far so good.

Then Voss played a second Forced Deployment, but it only brought out two minions--the Banshee and a Soldier that had been killed in the meantime.  Confused, I looked at the decks.  Sure enough, the other minions were just gone.  Looking at the logs, I see that they were moved to a special "OffToTheSide" area, and of course they stayed there when the Deployment was interrupted.

Now, that's not an official location as far as I know--it's just a shorthand to prevent infinite loops (which in fact I had going--Dark Watch Expat and Santa Guise were shooting each minion as they hit the table).  So cards being stuck there permanently doesn't seem to make sense.  It's also weird that the second Forced Deployment added two cards to OffToTheSide and then only those two cards were played--correct behavior but it's not what I expected given that there were 4 other cards in OffToTheSide already.

That said, the location of cards that aren't anywhere in particular when In Medias Res goes off is not well-defined.  I imagine they should go to the trash and not this limbo area that doesn't officially exist.  But I'm curious what other people's thoughts are.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

Whichever ones didn’t get into play should remain in the trash.   At the very least not a side area like you are seeing.  I’ll try to setup that scenario to send feedback.