The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Impossible matchup(s)

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Abbp
Impossible matchup(s)

So I was looking online for a particularly difficult matchup and I came accross the infamous 1 shot of dw variants of expat fixer and NM vs chairman in Rook City. The only problem is that I conquered it on my second attempt, no rewinds or anything. 

Now while I'm sure I just got very lucky, I still felt like I needed a challenge and sure enough I've found one that has made me feel like a Plague Rat vs a Fixer. 

Cosmic Omnitron in Omnitron IV vs base Absolute Zero, GI Bunker, and base Benchmark. I wanted to post this challenge here to see if anyone is crazy or patient enough to pull this win off. Closest I got was knocking Omni to 82. Yep it's that bad. 

But while I'm interested to see if this can be done I am much more interested in seeing if you all have challenges that you could post here. Preferably I'd want these matches not to utilize advanced or challenge mode, though if you have one that's particularly interesting than go for it. What 3 (or more) vs 1's do you consider unwinnable?  I'd love to see the challenges that yet await me in this game.

Also as a side question, which 3 hero team do you guys think is the worst and most challenging to win with against mr. Joe everyvillain.

Looking forward to the responses (if I get any). Also hi, I'm Abbp

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

This game becomes unwinnable once Shu comes out since these heroes don’t have any damage types beyond melee and projectile.   Then you have an environment which doesn’t provide any other types of damage either:

Legacy, Wraith, Parse at Megaopolis vs the Ennead 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Here's two:

#1 - Any team without much environment killing VS The Dreamer in Madame Mittermeier's is a good shot at death - there are six different cards in that deck that cause targets to attack themselves, four of the six either trigger at the end of the Environment Turn or when the villain goes next, and The Dreamer does not have the HP to survive two rounds of that. 

#2 - We once brought Legacy, Ra, and Haka into a 3-player game against Plague Rat in Pike Industrial. It looks good on paper, but Plague Rat played his Ongoing that made him immune to Toxic Damage, and the vat that makes all damage Toxic came out, and then we were just getting hit in the face while we desperately waited for a vat explosion. Wasn't literally impossible, but we very died. 

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

FrivYeti wrote:

#2 - We once brought Legacy, Ra, and Haka into a 3-player game against Plague Rat in Pike Industrial. It looks good on paper, but Plague Rat played his Ongoing that made him immune to Toxic Damage, and the vat that makes all damage Toxic came out, and then we were just getting hit in the face while we desperately waited for a vat explosion. Wasn't literally impossible, but we very died. 

Wouldn't Ra have been able to use Imbued Fire to override the Toxic vat?  Of course that only helps if you have the card available.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

You know, that would probably have worked. But yeah, we didn't have it handy, and none of those three can give Ra a lot of card draw.

Abbp

Did the match with an "easy" win. Like you said, Shu is the necessary component and he didn't end up getting put into play.

Abbp

FrivYeti wrote:

Here's two:

#1 - Any team without much environment killing VS The Dreamer in Madame Mittermeier's is a good shot at death - there are six different cards in that deck that cause targets to attack themselves, four of the six either trigger at the end of the Environment Turn or when the villain goes next, and The Dreamer does not have the HP to survive two rounds of that. 

Gave game #2 a go. Surprisingly I ended up in the same predicament as you with all toxic and an immune plague rat by round 2. (Un?)Fortunately Ra was taken out way before the others and his incap destroyed ongoings. Most importantly tho legacy got next evolution pretty quickly making all damage besides his SOT damage useless against him, basically guaranteeing the win.

As for game #1 the Madame's expansion is the only one I don't have, but Dreamer has died there in the physical game once. It's a good one.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Try fighting Cosmotron in the Celestial Tribunal sometime. :')

Abbp

TakeWalker wrote:

Try fighting Cosmotron in the Celestial Tribunal sometime. :')

All right now this one was my favorite so far. I didn't realise what the challenge was as mostly harmless environment cards were piling up...until he destroyed them all and played about a third of his deck. I used the same team of AZ, Bunker, and Benchmark. It took me a while to win, but there's another notch in my belt. Him going through so many cards at once actually allowed him to blow through both of his destroy all equip cards and let me free to set up for the rest of the game and fully set up benchmark>>>cosmitron. Won at 0/3/7

However, squeaking by this one just made me more sure cosmitron in omni4 is maybe actually impossible with those 3

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Only a third? You got lucky. The game that taught me not to do this, he literally played his entire deck off one Terraforming. XD

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Have you tried fighting Iron Legacy w/out ongoing destruction?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Abbp

Hmm so no ongoing destruction would be Legacy, Bunker, Haka, Ra, Fixer, Scholar, Cosmic, Medico, Sentinels?

I think these are my options. Bring 3 to rook city and see what happens

Abbp

Actually I just realised incaps count so no to the sentinels and several variants

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Have you tried fighting Iron Legacy w/out ongoing destruction?

Tough but doable.  I've had several games where my heroes have ongoing destruction, but don't ever draw it....

Fanatic can make short work of him with Wrathful Retribition if he doesn't get Superhuman Redirection out, and "team plink" (e.g. Chrono-Ranger, F5 Tachyon, Writhe with Legacy and Parse) can buff all their 1 damages to 3 or 4 and wear him down without too much difficulty.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Abbp

I tried and failed a good 8 times against iron Legacy with that selection of heroes. The biggest non-obvious problems I faced was that it was that I never realized how much on/equip destuction he did and that the usual strategy of killing him before the flip doesn't really work. Only haka and bunker have big power attacks but by the time you could build them he'll be able to redirect them anyway.

Eventually I took him down with medico scholar and legacy. Had to get the right cards (both hero and villain) but once I did I just reigned heal/damage on scholar for the win.

Also after probably 50ish games I did manage to beat cosmitron with AZ bunker and Benchmark. It's 100% luck if you can avoid equipment destruction long enough to beat him. If you ever do want to do it for some reason, do yourself a favor and reset until cosmitron plays both of his equip wipes turn 1. Or at least 1 and hope the others on the bottom. (Not that I took that advice. I like pulling teeth). 

These challenges have been cool. I'd love to see more. In particular I've been trying and failing to put  together a 3 hero team capable of losing to chokepoint when played well. Any ideas?