The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

I have a job!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester
I have a job!

I resigned my position as a HS teacher around the time my (now five-year-old) daughter was born, for a number of reasons. I'm not going to elaborate here right now, as it's a longer story than I want to type out.

I've spent a half-decade looking for full-time employment, splicing together teaching at a community college with some other part-time work in the meantime.

This morning, I interviewed for a position at a small school in rural-ish east central Illinois, and was offered the job before I walked out the door. 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Cool.   Hope you like the new job.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Congratulations! What level of school are we talking, and what subject?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Congratulations!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That is wonderful - congratulations!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

Congratulations! What level of school are we talking, and what subject?

Back in a high school again (which I much prefer to middle school, having done both at various times). I'll be the physical sciences half of the science department - at least one physics class of seniors, one introductory physical science class of freshmen, and multiple chemistry classes which will dominantly be juniors. I can't recall offhand whether I have the second-year chem class (functionally, AP Chem) this year or not.

My previous K-12 experience has all been a more urban setting. I'd only call the one year in a charter school "big-city" (since Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC is an area of about 600k people all told). This town is definitely more rural, with some of the challenges that might bring.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Great news!  Congrats!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Congrats on the job!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Congratulations! Hope you do well in the new position!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Congratulations!

Now I just need to find a job.  You guys wouldn't happen to know anyone hiring new materials engineering grads, would you?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Congratulations! Now I just need to find a job.  You guys wouldn't happen to know anyone hiring new materials engineering grads, would you?

Depends in part on how mobile you are (i.e., do you have a reason to stay in a particular geographic area?).  There's a company in town for me that's in the semiconductor biz who prefers technical-area degrees for their technicians. They're called EpiWorks.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Props to you for teaching physical sciences. We always need to put effort in making sure the public understands the methods and importance of the scientific process. I hope you get to do lots of experiments with your students!

(Just don't do them ON your students.)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

jffdougan wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Congratulations! Now I just need to find a job.  You guys wouldn't happen to know anyone hiring new materials engineering grads, would you?

Depends in part on how mobile you are (i.e., do you have a reason to stay in a particular geographic area?).  There's a company in town for me that's in the semiconductor biz who prefers technical-area degrees for their technicians. They're called EpiWorks.

I'm willing to live anywhere.  I'll check them out, thanks!

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Sejixs
Sejixs's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Congrats on the job! laugh

And I wish you luck Arcanist on finding an awesome one!

Full-time Scientist, Part-time Artist.