The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

How to give yourself a headache, or fun with dice.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester
How to give yourself a headache, or fun with dice.

Playing as Beacon, got two lovely +1 Attack Tokens (Thanks Dad!)

So I Aim and Focus Blast Operative who is at Range 4.  All dice are taken, roll 2 more for the +1 tokens, 1 auto-miss.  I got a 5 so all the dice turn into 5's, and then turn into 4's and double.  10 fours against operative's 3 defense.  She doesn't make it.

Then I'm all "Now it's your turn Omnitron, because I've got my nifty pal Next Evolution in play.

Then comes the headache.

Omnitron doesn't get the aim bonus, the +attack dice, and has 4 as an auto-miss because of plating.  Reverse engineering that attack was not fun.

The proper resolution would be:

Roll the initial 4 dice, then figure the entire rest of it for Beacon maintaining the original dice roll somewhere for future reference.  Resolve Operative attack and then start over with that initial roll for Omnitron, right?

I assume from the timing of auto-misses and focused Blast that Omnitron at range 4 with 4 on his plating would still get hit with any dice that got changed to a 4 after automisses were removed.

SeraAlexandria

Automisses are only checked once, when you declare you're making your attack, and on whom. Omnitron checks to see that he's one of them, then adds his plating to your automiss section. Even if you attack operative first, since your attack was also against Omnitron, you would remove 4s from your attack roll as an automiss before you could damage either.

As for her Focused Blast's ability, that's a very strange interaction. I found one interaction that works similar to it. When you remove dice for range in an area attack, it's only removed for the targets out of that range, not for all target presumably. It's the only effect I've seen that "removes" attack dice during an attack. So yeah, you'd have to keep track of what the initial roll was or try to keep track of it in your head in this situation. I tend to do that already for aim tokens when attacking multiple targets since it only applies to one. Just say, "All of these are X for you, not what they show," and count that they have enough to block it. It's less to remember that way in those situations.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Omnitron's Adaptive Subroutine only works vs. attacks against him, it won't affect an area attack against other targets, just against him, similar to area attacks and range.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I would suggest not actually changing the dice, just keeping track of what's happening, for exactly this reason.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It's a little hard with Focused Blast and Aim, because your end dice don't in any way resemble your starting dice.