The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

How many times can a card be destroyed?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
How many times can a card be destroyed?

Haka has a card (don't recall the name) which allows cards that would be destroyed to be put underneath it and later those cards can be destroyed to empower Haka to do damage.

Bunker has a card (again, don't recall the name) that allows him to draw a card when a non-Hero card is destroyed.

So, if Haka destroys a card and puts that card under his card instead of in the trash and later destroys that card to do damage, how many times does Bunker draw?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

awp832
Playtester

You're asking if Haka using the effect of Savage Mana allows bunker to draw that many cards with Ammo Drop?    I hadn't thought of it,  but seems like it works to me.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

awp832 wrote:
You're asking if Haka using the effect of Savage Mana allows bunker to draw that many cards with Ammo Drop?    I hadn't thought of it,  but seems like it works to me.

Yes! Those are the card names.

But, really?! Bunker gets to draw a card both for the original destroy and for the later destroy? Doesn't seem right.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Shoral

I'd imagine Bunker would only draw from the first destroy. At the point I think the card just becomes a marker when placed under Haka's card. The second destroy is really just using all the built charges.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Shoral wrote:
I'd imagine Bunker would only draw from the first destroy. At the point I think the card just becomes a marker when placed under Haka's card. The second destroy is really just using all the built charges.

I can't say officially, but I'm inclined to think that Shoral's interpretation of the cards merely acting as markers is correct. If that's not the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see this become another line of errata for the rulings.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Official Ruling Time

Villain Cards are always Villain Cards, so in this unusual case, a given card can actually be destroyed twice, and make Bunker draw twice with Ammo Drop.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Paul wrote:
Official Ruling Time

Villain Cards are always Villain Cards, so in this unusual case, a given card can actually be destroyed twice, and make Bunker draw twice with Ammo Drop.

Whoa. Mind Blown.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Indeed. You and me both!

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

That is potentially a ton of cards! I guess that doesn't really change his power level as Omni-Cannon still limits the cards you can put underneath.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

It is a rare situation, and is good but not unbalanced.  It also keeps the rules much simpler and avoids us having to create some sort of virtual category for "cards that are not really cards but are instead counters or something".

Note that the principle of this ruling also applies to Self Destruct Sequence - if a (as yet theoretical) card said "get a pony whenever an environment card is destroyed", the player with that card in play would get 6 ponies when Self Destruct Sequence is resolved.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

That's not at all theoretical.  Haka's "Dominion" would do just that.  Success!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Well, not ponies.  But cards.  Haka's player would draw X cards, where X = 1 for "Self-Destruct Sequence" plus Y, where Y = the number of cards in the "Countdown Pile".  Also, I love equations.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jeez, Paul, it's like you didn't memorize every card in the game like Christopher did. Slacker. :P

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

We should stop promising our players ponies with no intention on delivering.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Who's to say we won't? I might know a guy...  8)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Paul wrote:
It is a rare situation, and is good but not unbalanced.  It also keeps the rules much simpler and avoids us having to create some sort of virtual category for "cards that are not really cards but are instead counters or something".

Without taking a position on whether or not the double-destruction, double-card-draw is balanced or unbalance, I humbly offer an alternative to needing a complex rule -- rewrite. Have the card say something like, "Whenever Haka would have destroyed ... instead of the card being destroyed, place it ..."

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I think I have guessed what the Mega Expansions on going to consist of. A lot of pony figurines so that way you guys could deliver on your promises of ponies and since you never said a real pony it would work perfectly.

Citizen Jodie
Citizen Jodie's picture
Admin

While I'm generally not into the pony craze that seems to be going on around the internet, right now, I would love it if you guys could get to work on getting me a pony for playing the game.  ;-)

Jodie :-)
Warehouse Manager
jodie@greaterthangames.com

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

arenson9 wrote:
Without taking a position on whether or not the double-destruction, double-card-draw is balanced or unbalance, I humbly offer an alternative to needing a complex rule -- rewrite. Have the card say something like, "Whenever Haka would have destroyed ... instead of the card being destroyed, place it ..."

While that would certainly change the functionality of the card, we don't want to errata cards unless there is a serious balance issue at work.  I actually even seem to recall coming across this once during play testing with Christopher and concluding that this sort of functionality works just fine.