The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

How does Greazer work?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture
How does Greazer work?

I don't understand what "in the same play area" means.  So many of his cards have that phrase and I don't know what it refers to.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Greazer doesn't work, he's too cool for that.

Or more accurately "play area" refers to the individual part of your table where one player puts their cards when "in play" (not your discard pile, hand or deck). So if you are playing a 3 hero game then there would be 5 areas, a Villain play area, an Environment area, a ... Tachyon play area, a Setback play area and a Mr Fixer play area.

In a Vengeance game each individual villain would have their own play area.

Heroes and Villains can put cards into other play areas than their own, such as The Visionary playing Twist the Ether on Baron Blade would be put it in the Villain play area, or Captain Cosmic giving AZ a Dynamic Syphon would put it into AZ's play area.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture

Thanks for the quick response!  Two follow-up questions:

Under what circumstance would there ever be more than one Hero Character Card in the Play Area with the Contract Card?

Do Greazer's Hunter Techs (or other targets) remain in play when he's incapacitated?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The Sentinels have more than one character card in their play area.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Unless specifically mention otherwise when a character is incapped all of their cards are removed from play.

Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture

But all four of them have lower HP than any other hero, so the Contract would never target them to begin with.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Officially that is true.

Unofficially with fan expansions I'm not certain it is.

Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture

Gotcha.

One final question: is Greazer actually much of a challenge in other people's opinions?  I've played one game with him and we simply waited until the highest HP character was going to die anyway, and then we let him die and uncapped Greazer without ever firing a shot at him.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I like Greazer, but no he isn't much of a challenge.

Often times we completely ignore him because if he is ever the last villain in the game you can't lose.  That drops him to the lowest priority in our games.

tyleradiaz

I mean, you COULD...if his target is the last hero standing. I think.

Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture

I feel like he would be more threatening if he had to down two heroes before GTFOing.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I think he plays fine and has a good theme.   He is a menace and in the Vengeance type games don't really want to lose a hero so if you can't hold him off you do want to take him out.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

He's a fantastic way to make the match easier.  He hits hard (remember Greazer always deals +1 to the target of his contract) but doesn't hurt your chance to win much.

The best way to make him a more serious threat is to not have plague rat in the game, and to try and keep his target alive.

The thinkg I like best about him is his incap is easily one of the harsher ones in the game, and so letting him take out his target early doesn't give you a whole lot of relief.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

He's a fantastic way to make the match easier.  

I throw him into matches without regard for difficulty - what I like is how he throws a wrench into things by being different from all the other villains. He's so single-minded! It's a terrific implementation of his theme.

Perhaps one thing I would change about him is to make his initial target selection more random. (Flip a coin to select one of the 2 hero targets with the highest HP?) The way he is now, the players can determine his target just through the game setup selections.