The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Heroic Luminary Variant Unlock Discussion

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester
Heroic Luminary Variant Unlock Discussion

The first of the ObliVAeon hero variants is here, and it's... not Dark Watch Harpy, surprisingly! Instead, it's Heroic Luminary!

Time to get to work, everyone! We're in the home stretch; only 6 variants left. 

My first thought is, it probably involves some combination of having a bunch of Devices out. Maybe having all of them, maybe just one of each. I don't know, but it's a place to start, maybe.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm pretty happy that my #1 pick came out first!

I did not watch the stream and I only heard this randomly, but I heard a rumor that apparently the first step of the unlock is Nightmist dealing the finishing blow to Baron Blade in the Realm of Discord.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I think someone in Discord (ha!) already disproved part of that, and got that step without Nightmist.

Anyway, I beat BB in RoD, then went after MBBB in Mordengrad with Luminary, no dice. I was remembering that after BB escaped from RoD, he went to Mordengrad and faced a Blade-Bot that had assumed leadership in his absence, and when you fight MBBB with Luminary in the lead, MBBB thinks that Luminary is a Blade-Bot.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

FearLord

Phantom5613 wrote:

I'm pretty happy that my #1 pick came out first!

I did not watch the stream and I only heard this randomly, but I heard a rumor that apparently the first step of the unlock is Nightmist dealing the finishing blow to Baron Blade in the Realm of Discord.

If it’s to follow the Burying the Blade storyline (that is effectively the Origin of regular Luminary) I’d have thought Nightmist would have to defeat Baron Blade at the Onclave of the Endlings first, then something at Realm of Discord, then I’d say Luminary defeat Baron Blade at Mordengrad?

NyxFSSD

Just going to copy and paste what I put in the Discord server.

"First part seems to be beating Blade in Realm of Discord (potentially with some other aspect? I think VGBM said he did that without getting the pre-req). Second looks like winning in Freedom Tower with the Freedom Five (not sure if specific variants are needed, I used base for them all and fought Ambuscade). Third...not sure if environment or team comp is important (F5 Legacy, Luminary, and TL Tachyon vs. Gloomweaver in Megalopolis), ended up getting all 18 devices out at one point, then used all three doomsday devices. Unlock popped after everything resolved from using the third.
I would like to note that on a whim, I used the Impulsion Beam without 15 cards in the trash (right after using the translocator properly), it didn't do anything, so I rewound and waited a round to have enough cards in the trash
So it seems like they have to be used properly, not just used whenever"

Logs!
Part 1: https://pastebin.com/HWSWjUAC
Part 2: https://pastebin.com/GtXkykgC
Part 3: https://pastebin.com/CFfcVgYn

And the unlock: https://puu.sh/DcEyW/af3ee489af.png

FearLord

NyxFSSD wrote:

Just going to copy and paste what I put in the Discord server.

"First part seems to be beating Blade in Realm of Discord (potentially with some other aspect? I think VGBM said he did that without getting the pre-req). Second looks like winning in Freedom Tower with the Freedom Five (not sure if specific variants are needed, I used base for them all and fought Ambuscade). Third...not sure if environment or team comp is important (F5 Legacy, Luminary, and TL Tachyon vs. Gloomweaver in Megalopolis), ended up getting all 18 devices out at one point, then used all three doomsday devices. Unlock popped after everything resolved from using the third.
I would like to note that on a whim, I used the Impulsion Beam without 15 cards in the trash (right after using the translocator properly), it didn't do anything, so I rewound and waited a round to have enough cards in the trash
So it seems like they have to be used properly, not just used whenever"

Logs!
Part 1: https://pastebin.com/HWSWjUAC
Part 2: https://pastebin.com/GtXkykgC
Part 3: https://pastebin.com/CFfcVgYn

And the unlock: https://puu.sh/DcEyW/af3ee489af.png

Good work!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Just did Freedom Five, base variants, versus Chokepoint in Freedom Tower and got unlock condition 2.

Log: https://pastebin.com/6E5SaSML

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The community has discovered the official unlock condition for Heroic Luminary.

First, defeat Baron Blade in the Realm of Discord without Luminary on the team. Then, win a game in Freedom Tower with the Freedom Five (any variants). Then, in a game in Megalopolis with Luminary on the team, use the power on each Doomsday Device while at least 15 cards are in Luminary's trash.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Wow, that one was found quick!

Guess I'm unlocking it once I get home!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Ohh, it has to be in Megalopolis. XD Okay! Good work, community!

Protip: Scholar of the Infinite's card discard incapacitated power is very useful for Luminary doing this quickly!

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

The fans are spectacularly quick most of the time! It only gets difficult when s lot of people have unlocked it « by accident ».

Void Guard Writhe and Void Guard Idealist come to mind. But overall we’re pretty sweet

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

FearLord

Does anyone know if unlocks work for IPad if you aren’t on WiFi? I’m on holiday until Friday without good WiFi, but if I don’t need the internet I might as well go through this. If I do need the internet, I’ll have to wait until the end of the week.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

If you aren’t connected to the Internet the unlocks do not work. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

FearLord

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

If you aren’t connected to the Internet the unlocks do not work. 

Thanks - I’ll wait until the weekend.

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Here's hoping the rest of the cast are as quick to unlock.

I'll put things in here later.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

Protip: Scholar of the Infinite's card discard incapacitated power is very useful for Luminary doing this quickly!

It's even easier with Termi-Nation Bunker's incaps. Then you just need to fish out the devices and incap Bunker.

origamiswami

If you play against Omnitron and have All According to Plan in play, you get an insane amount of discards on Luminary.  Add Omnitron X, Dark Argent Adept, and AG Legacy, and you can almost refill the discard every round.

Qapla!

Missingno
Missingno's picture

origamiswami wrote:

If you play against Omnitron and have All According to Plan in play, you get an insane amount of discards on Luminary.  Add Omnitron X, Dark Argent Adept, and AG Legacy, and you can almost refill the discard every round.

Just remember to blow up all your devices because they will trigger Omni's you can't win condition.

I'll put things in here later.

“Mad Dog”

Super-Scientific Tachyon is also a good teammate for Luminary, as she usually can move a lot of cards into Luminary's discard pile with her innate power.  If by some chance her power lets Luminary play a pair of devices, well they are excellent fuel for "Sabre Battle Drone" cards and they get to the discard pile that way.

Though to be honest, Luminary can get a lot of cards into his discard pile on his own, especially if he can get "All According To Plan" into play and then plays "Timely Disruption" or "Dangerous Vision".  In my game, after getting set up Luminary (with help from Super-Scientific Tachyon and Omnitron-X and America's Greatest Legacy letting them use their power again) was getting 15+ cards into his discard pile every turn.

This was a fun variant unlock.  Looking forward to seeing the rest.

JimB
JimB's picture

Is the unlock broken on mobile? I've done it three times now and haven't unlocked, though I did incidentally unlock Rook City Wraith in the process.

Kupo.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I also failed to unlock it, even though I did it correctly and am connected to the internet

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Missingno wrote:

Just remember to blow up all your devices because they will trigger Omni's you can't win condition.

Luckily, Blade has very easy ways to get rid of his devices.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Actually I DIDN'T do it right. I messed up the second game. I did Megalopolis instead of Freedom Tower. Way to go, me.

-- Trajector

Escher

Possibly the fastest way to charge up a doomdsay device: Spite's Compound Xi (the tentacle one) makes Luminary discard 5 cards per power use.  With a well chosen team, you can have your weapons fully armed every turn or two, to the point that the difficulty is more often getting the doomsday weapons in play before your trash reshuffles.  (I recommend adding in Argent Adept, who can give Luminary extra power uses to speed-charge him, and give him card draws or plays to search for the various cards that will let him fish his doomsday devices out of the trash. Or you can do that with Verdant Sonata, in a pinch, but that's riskier.)