The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Hero Analogs

75 posts / 0 new
Last post
Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I laughed at most of that, but I thought the last one was the funniest. Giving outrageous explanations for most then ending with simply Batman

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

PePe QuiCoSE wrote:

Heh, just imagined good ol' arcade X-Men: Children of the Atom with SotM characters. 

If I have time, I might do a Nightmist fighting game style sprite and post it in fan art. Thanks for the idea. :) No promises, but I will see if I can edge it in.

Chaosmancer wrote:

I had to laugh at... well just about all of it. For me, not knowing much about comic lore, I keeping getting a Wolverine vibe from KNYFE

Again, the energy blade just looks too much like Psylocke for me to ignore, you know?

Psylocke vs. K.N.Y.F.E.

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Humble-Knight wrote:
I laughed at most of that, but I thought the last one was the funniest. Giving outrageous explanations for most then ending with simply Batman.
I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

And I get y'all's points with Wolverine (ripped melee warrior who doesn't play be the rules) and Psylocke (who, let us not forget, can create an energy blade which is "the focused totality of her telepathic powers"), but I don't think either really holds up.

I would argue that the most iconic aspects of Wolverine as a character are his stern demenor, his amnesia, and his healing - none of that applies to KNYFE, who is (almost) always smiling, driven by the knowledge she's gained in her past, and has strictly offensive powers.

Likewise, Psylocke hits some similar notes, but for all that I don't know her very well, I think of her as a psychic first (and then I think of her strange and meandering backstory, the less said of which the better).  There's not a lot of KNYFE in that.

I was tempted to just call her "any given member of Youngblood, but happy," since I don't think those dudes really had origins, and most of their powers boiled down to "make weapons appear."  But I called her "Punch Lantern," in another thread, and I kinda like saying it.  The Green Lantern of punching things!  So, I am sticking with that, for now.

(Yes, one could argue that Guy Gardner is already the Green Lantern of punching things, but then, Guy Gardner also spent time with poorly-defined powers which amounted to making weapons appear, so maybe you could raise this objection to either of my KNYFE analogues.)

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

I get more of a Cy-Blade feel. Mostly because I prefer Betsy before the Revanche bodyswap happened.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

My biggest connection between Wolverine and KNYFE was the military past thing. I didn't read a lot of comics, so my touchstones for wolverine come from the movies and games where they play up his past expeirence in the military. Plus I always think claws before healing.

I did think of Psylocke as well, but I don't know anything about her beyond "psychic knife" so it's harder to make the analogy

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Ironic wrote:

Expatriette: GUUUUNNZZZZ!

Chick Fury, if you will.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Reckless wrote:

Ironic wrote:
Expatriette: GUUUUNNZZZZ!

Chick Fury, if you will.

Outstanding.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Sefirit

Rabit wrote:

Foote wrote:
Writhe = Rorschach/Inque? (from Batman Beyond)/ possibly Venom/Carnage (art based speculation)  

I'm not a big proponent of making analogies like this, but if you were to do one for Writhe, I think Cloak (of Marvel's Cloak & Dagger) would be a closer fit, although even that comparison isn't very strong.

I would agree with cloak being the better fit.  Writhe might LOOK like Rorschach but from a power base stand point they are nothing alike.  So I guess maybe the question is, are you trying to convey type of power or a look/feel.   Usually I'm trying for a power theme. 

It also gets tricky because you get a lot of mix.  For example I like to think Parse is like the Midnighter mixed with Green arrow.  Midnighter's ability to predict the outcome of things but replace his strength and healing with Green Arrow's skill with a bow.

Sefirit

imprimis5 wrote:

Foote wrote:
 byc wrote:
For direct comparison, Unity is most specifically Will Magnus and the Metal Men. 

This is interesting. What makes you say that Will Magnus is a more direct fit than say Forge?

Thanks for saying that. Forge is always the first one that pops to mind, for me.

I always think of Madison Jefferies and then no one knows what I'm talking about.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Sefirit wrote:

I always think of Madison Jefferies and then no one knows what I'm talking about.

Thats a really good one!

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Always liked Alpha Flight.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, I never felt like Alpha Flight got the respect they deserved...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

TeslaRoyale
Playtester

The Sentinels are really more like old school golden age heroes like The Defenders of the Earth or King's Watch. They have a very light hearted jovial fantasy tone occasionally framed by abstract darkness.

Also, bah to the idea that Sentinels of the Multiverse characters are analogs of other characters. The other characters are Sentinels analogs.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

TeslaRoyale wrote:
Also, bah to the idea that Sentinels of the Multiverse characters are analogs of other characters. The other characters are Sentinels analogs.
Oh, sure.

Stan Lee always claims solo credit for creating Spider-Man, of course, but Steve Ditko will tell you straight up that he fell forward in time, played a card game involving a probability-altering trickster, and then when he got back, said to himself, "that young man had potential, but of course 'luck' as a notion doesn't sit well with my Objectivist philosophy - I'll replace it with something simple and observable, like spiders."

And so a legend was born.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

holycrapihavemail

Ironic wrote:

ARISE, FELL THREAD!I was inspired by a coment in another thread:

holycrapihavemail wrote:
I'd just list the six complexity-1 heroes, give them some quick analogs (Superman, Surfer Hulk, Pyro-Thor, Alien Namor, Batman, and Agent of Shield Cyclops) and go from there.

Oh hai!

I just saw this thread.  I'm weirdly flattered by the reference.  Also, I like your list.

So, since it seems to be in fashion, here's how I would describe the different analogs:

Absolute Zero: Mr. Freeze

Argent Adept: Green Lantern, but with music rather than color themes

Bunker: Ironman or War Machine

Chrono-Ranger: I really like you're "Cowboy Cable" description.  Stealing that.

Fanatic: Hawkgirl, but fills Thor's niche better than Ra does.

Expatriette: Punisher

Haka: Surfer Hulk

KNYFE: Agent of Shield Cyclops; OMAC would be a good comparison if it wasn't so obscure

Legacy: Superman

Mr. Fixer: Daredevil / Iron Fist / Mr. Miyagi

Naturalist: Wonder Twin ("form of a gazelle!")

Nightmist: Doctor Strange

Omnitron-X: Brainiac X

Parse: Green Arrow + Felicity Smoak

Ra: Pyro-Thor

Scholar: the Dude, with a magic bowling ball

Sentinels: Fantastic Four

Setback: Peter Parker, Longshot

Tachyon: Flash

Tempest: Alien AquaStorm

Unity: Toy-Box (from Top-10) or Girl Genius (she keeps making clanks!)

Visionary: Jean Grey

Wraith: Batman

Edwin

You do know K.N.Y.F.E. is totally Psylocke, right?  Just without the Psi part.  They should have just called her L.O.C.K.E. - probably would have sounded less ridiculous when spelled out.  (Lots Of Crackling Knives Emerge?)

"I'm starting to feel comic books lack realism."
"Master of Understatement: Level Up!"
--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Doesn't look a thing like her.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

holycrapihavemail wrote:
KNYFE: Agent of Shield Cyclops; OMAC would be a good comparison if it wasn't so obscure

Unity: Toy-Box (from Top-10)

So many mad props for these references.

Edwin wrote:
You do know K.N.Y.F.E. is totally Psylocke, right?  Just without the Psi part.  They should have just called her L.O.C.K.E. - probably would have sounded less ridiculous when spelled out.  (Lots Of Crackling Knives Emerge?)

Still not thinking this connection is as strong as others do, but I adore the L.O.C.K.E. idea.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It's like more ninja, less drama Psylocke IMO.

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

It's like more ninja, less drama Psylocke IMO.

I will admit though, ninja + drama = vast majority of Psylocke. Not all, but certainly a good chunk of the character.

Also, I guess Parse would be a cross with Hawkeye/Green Arrow(Any archer really) and Sage? A computer-like brain is not a common power, but I always thought it was one of the cooler ones out there. Especially when well written.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I picture Parse a combo of Hawkeye with Oracle.

wbarn34

I'm getting a very Kick-Ass vibe from Setback...but maybe that's just me.

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

I picture Parse a combo of Hawkeye with Oracle.

But isn't Parse's analytical superpower all biological at this point? Like her brain is fully superhuman, now, right? Wouldn't that put her closer to Sage?

bjorn.arnesen.us

Void Guard Idealist is clearly Raven, specifically White Raven. Yeah, she has the sentai thing going on, but her void guard abilities are mostly Raven. She even has a card that brings out the black personality.

Pages