The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Hazards and non character targets

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
padlock
Hazards and non character targets

As I understand it, a hazard activates when a target:

1. Enters a hex in the hazard's radius

2. Ends it's turn in the hazard's radius

My question is about non character targets (Companions, Monorails, Dinosaurs, Baron Blade's turrets, etc.) that don't officialy have 'turns'. When, if ever, does 2 ever activate for them?

Thanks in advance for any responses. 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Baron blade's turrets are part of his deck, their turn is his turn.

Cards that are not a part of a deck I don't know.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Targets that don't have turns don't activate Hazard Spaces by ending their turn in that space. Note that Dinosaurs and Companions actually do have turns.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Not all Companions have turns, though?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Things like Companions get attacked by hazards at the end of the turn they're associated with. So, Unity's bots are attacked by hazard spaces at the end of Unity's turn.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

What's the definition of "things like Companions"?  Is it anything with hp?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

In this case, anything that is controlled by a player with a turn.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Paul says:

Targets that don't have turns don't activate Hazard Spaces by ending their turn in that space. Note that Dinosaurs and Companions actually do have turns.

Making it sound like dinos will activate Hazard Spaces.  Then Christopher says:

In this case, anything that is controlled by a player with a turn.

Making it sound like dinos won't activate Hazard Spaces because they aren't controlled by a player with a turn.  I'm confused.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Dinosaurs essentially have their own turn, though.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

When you are playing with dinosaurs, they act at a specific time during the round, which is their turn. Thus, they trigger hazard spaces at that time. With bots, citizens, and other targets generated by a character, they trigger hazard spaces at the end of the turn of their controlling player. The only sorts of targets that would never trigger the "end of turn" hazard space attack are:

1) Citizens that are in play, but are never activated. I believe that this can come up in the "move the shards" scenario, among others.

2) Turrets or similar hazards not associated with a player and lacking a dinosaur-like turn. This would have come up in the Sentinel Tactics tournament at PAX South had anyone moved one of the turrets into the hazard space of another. It would have taken damage upon entering the space, but would never have triggered the "end of turn" activation.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Spiff
Spiff's picture

That's pretty clear.  Thanks.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions - I am prepping for Official Tournament judging, so it helps me brush up :)

padlock

Paul wrote:

When you are playing with dinosaurs, they act at a specific time during the round, which is their turn. Thus, they trigger hazard spaces at that time. With bots, citizens, and other targets generated by a character, they trigger hazard spaces at the end of the turn of their controlling player. The only sorts of targets that would never trigger the "end of turn" hazard space attack are:1) Citizens that are in play, but are never activated. I believe that this can come up in the "move the shards" scenario, among others.2) Turrets or similar hazards not associated with a player and lacking a dinosaur-like turn. This would have come up in the Sentinel Tactics tournament at PAX South had anyone moved one of the turrets into the hazard space of another. It would have taken damage upon entering the space, but would never have triggered the "end of turn" activation.

Thank you for the explanation! I think I get it now. :)

AvalonXQ

Another example of something that would never get a turn would be the pylons in Baron Blade's third scenario.