The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Has anybody played Exoplanets?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
Has anybody played Exoplanets?

How is it? What games are similar? What makes it unique? Is there a print-and-play out there? I love space science and I'm confident that >G can execute, but I just like to try the game out before I buy it. I've broken with that principle several times recently, though, so I'm looking for people to sway me one way or the other.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I backed it, but haven't played it yet. I found Rahdo's videos final thoughts illuminating: the game appears to have a lot more aggressive behaviour than I might have expected from the description.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In case anyone doesn't know, this is why it's being asked...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I haven't been able to figure out why the planet tiles aren't round.  The closest I can figure is that since the space tiles are round, they're trying to make the planets visually distinct, but it's not working for me.  Planets are round.  It is known.  Maybe the space tiles should be a different shape instead.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Rabit wrote:

In case anyone doesn't know, this is why it's being asked...

Yeah, sorry, I should've put in the Kickstarter or >G news link for a reference.
bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Man, these guys are crazy to add yet another thing in flight...if I have my count right, including projects from GTG, DHM, Handleabra, and partnerships we've got OblivAeon, Spirit Island, Tactics: Wave 2, Bottom of the 9th Clubhouse, Meta Games: Round 2, Season 2 of the video game, Exoplanets, and probably soon Fate of the Elder Gods* and the Sentinels RPG*. And that's just what we know about!

* - https://greaterthangames.com/content/gen-con-2016-mega-post

EDIT: Realizing the tone sounds critical, that's not my intent; I'm just amazed that they're managing to find time to sleep.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

bobbertoriley wrote:

I'm just amazed that they're managing to find time to sleep.

I would be amazed to know we were finding time to sleep, too!

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

I haven't been able to figure out why the planet tiles aren't round.  The closest I can figure is that since the space tiles are round, they're trying to make the planets visually distinct, but it's not working for me.  Planets are round.  It is known.  Maybe the space tiles should be a different shape instead.

You can put space tiles under the planet tiles, adding an extra effect into that missing space.

The way the planets are laid out, it looks like the non-round part is supposed to be representing the core of the planet.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

If anybody gets to see an Exoplanets demo at Origin, I'd love to hear your impressions.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That's my plan on Saturday.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

So apparently running the booth off of Foam Brain Games they couldn't keep Exoplanets up as a demo.   The reason being is they had a limit on games they could demo each day that weren't actually being sold.   So if I had been able to get out Thursday or Friday I may have gotten to it.  I got to play Fate of the Elder Gods with Chris Kirkman who got to show off that Dice really do hate him.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Trajector
Trajector's picture

So, the update on Kickstarter says that they had a great demo session - I suppose that means until they had to stop. Anybody play it?

I was just taking a look at the rules on the Tabletopia link, and this:

To begin, the player who can name the most of Jupiter’s moon takes the first turn.

...caused me to immediately laugh out loud and start rattling off Galilean moons. Sadly, then my brain went off on a Saturnian moon tangent!