The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Guesses and ideas for the 2nd Expansion

231 posts / 0 new
Last post
ketigid

The Ennead! Quite awesome, each holds a relic.

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

So how does this work, then? One card with the lot of them, or a card for each? Perhaps Atum is the main villain, and the other members of the Ennead act as Operative-types? I assume each relic will be its own card that will be drawn through the course of the game, or will start out.

Grinnell College 2016

Tegulus

I'm thinking they're all in play to start. Team vs. team battle!

Beardsman
Beardsman's picture

Based on my limited knowledge of Egyptian mythology (with an assist from Wikipedia) I'm going to guess from the picture just released on Kickstarter that the green guy with the ankh on his chest is Atum, snake head is Geb, air spirit is Nut (or maybe Shu), aardvark/jackal head is Set, goatee guy is Osiris, woman in blue is Isis, lion woman is Tefnut, the mummy is Nephthys, and the winged-woman is Shu (or Nut).

Can't wait to see how the mechanic is going to work for fighting all nine of them.

Tegulus

On second thought, beating them one by one to get to Atum would also be awesome.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

You're very VERY close.  Let me give you a hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

What color is his skin?

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beardsman
Beardsman's picture

So close! Green skin must be Osiris and goatee guy is Atum.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nicely done! I had to use my insider knowledge to figure out who was who! (haven't seen many of the art assets yet)

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Wow, they all look so awesome. Really am excited to see how they will work with one and another.

logan_mann

So with a pyramid on the cover and the details of the story of the Ennead...I'm guessing the "Temple of the Ennead"/"Heliopolis"/"Temple of Heliopolis" somehow being one of the environments.  But will it be all within the lost temple, or will it include the dangers of the desert above the temple and the temple below?

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

logan_mann wrote:
So with a pyramid on the cover and the details of the story of the Ennead...I'm guessing the "Temple of the Ennead"/"Heliopolis"/"Temple of Heliopolis" somehow being one of the environments.  But will it be all within the lost temple, or will it include the dangers of the desert above the temple and the temple below?

I'm a bit torn. Inside and outside seem like appropriate battlegrounds, and assuming outside and inside won't be both of the environments (I'm changing my previous guess), it might be possible that it's a bit of both. Though if I for sure had to pick one, I'd wager that it'd be inside the pyramid.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

logan_mann

Do you think the other environment might tie back to what Richard Launius brought to the table.  Its said he brought a hero a villain and an environment.  Could it be NightMist, GloomWeaver, and some sort of Arkham (as in Lovecraft not Batman) City...a haunted surreal connection between a regular city and a monster filled other realm?

Or perhaps fighting in an entirely other realm.  Fighting in some sort of astral plan where these demon/monster whatevers live?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Given the pattern so far, it'll be NightMist, GloomWeaver, and SomeNewEnvironmentWithTheWordsInTheNameAllMushedTogether.

(seriously, the camel case is irritating)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:
(seriously, the camel case is irritating)

I think you mean PascalCasing, not camelCasing.

In either case, I feel right at home.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

logan_mann wrote:
Do you think the other environment might tie back to what Richard Launius brought to the table.  Its said he brought a hero a villain and an environment.  Could it be NightMist, GloomWeaver, and some sort of Arkham (as in Lovecraft not Batman) City...a haunted surreal connection between a regular city and a monster filled other realm?

Or perhaps fighting in an entirely other realm.  Fighting in some sort of astral plan where these demon/monster whatevers live?

I hadn't thought of that. It's possible. I just keep thinking of what kind of environment would make sense with Akash Bhuta's whole mechanic of controlling nature. It'll have to be a pretty general place, I'm assuming.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I mean CamelCase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CamelCase).  I use it in programming all the time.  But for superhero names, if it's not good enough for BatMan, NightWing, SuperMan, or WonderWoman, then it's not good enough for me. ;)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I as well use it in programming all the time.  Though, after reading your article, camel casing can either start off capital or not.  I'd always seen camel case means first letter is not capital, whereas pascal case has first letter capital.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hahaha, even though I use it all the time in my job, too, this discussion of Camel/Pascal Casing reminded me of this: NERDS!  :P

Should anyone actually be bothered by this, I should probably point out that moments ago I was just discussing the history of Rush with a co-worker and explaining the vast difference between the band with John Rutsey versus with Neil Peart.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

Jason wrote:
So is this going to be a villain where there are multiple villain cards in play at the start of the game with individual life totals ( sort of an anti- hero team), or is it going to be more like Dawn with the villan leader in play and the others villains just being cards in the deck?

Paul wrote:
@Jason
The former!

Sounds awesome!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Wait, that was asked somewhere and they answered? Hopefully it isn't all nine at once... I don't even dare want to think how hard it will be keeping track of everything.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

Ronway wrote:
Wait, that was asked somewhere and they answered? Hopefully it isn't all nine at once... I don't even dare want to think how hard it will be keeping track of everything.

It was asked in the Ennead update on the Kickstarter page

ketigid

Ronway wrote:

Paul is nice, he answers questions (most of the time).
Adam is also nice, he answers other questions (a lot of the time).
Chris is !@#$%^ (he answers questions that lead to even more questions!)  >:(

Just a joke.  ;D

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh, I tend to not read many comments on the kickstarter, guess I probably should.

I do prefer Chris' answers though, because speculating can be fun.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

So true! Speculation is the fruit of humanity...and board games.

As for the Ennead being out and about from the start, I ponder if they each have their own conditions for everything, or if there is just one overwhelming Villain Card that has everyone's fate written upon it. I also assume that the hint I heard a while back about a villain having just 24 HP (less than Visionary) is with one of these pups.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

chwineka
chwineka's picture
Playtester

The thought of all 9 getting their own reference card with attacks and flip conditions scares me. O_o

Pydro: "Bunker doesn't shoot, he budda buddas."

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I'm expecting something like the main villain with a flip condition and shuffling the other 8 each turn so that it's the main villain and 1 constantly changing 'operative lite' with a group HP... but I would be amazed if >G haven't thought up something far more sophisticated (and fun!)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

From the quote that was taken from the kickstarter comments, it says multiple villian cards in play with individual HPs. Not to mention what Chris said in the podcast that Ra has a possibility of nine nemesis (or something along those lines) meaning you can either have all of them out at once or pick and choose which ones you want to do battle with.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

ketigid wrote:
Paul is nice, he answers questions (most of the time).
Adam is also nice, he answers other questions (a lot of the time).
Chris is !@#$%^ (he answers questions that lead to even more questions!)  >:(

Just a joke.  ;D

BUT ... is Paul always Paul?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Promo Ra revealed! And boy does he look bloody awesome. I sure can't wait to see what his innate power will be, but whatever it is it will surely be something more... then what we can guess.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Okay, so, this Ra promo card -- is it still Dr. Washington? Reading the info on it made it seem like he had been beaten and went back into the desert to give up the title of Ra. His bio on the site says the title is passed when they are "defeated", not necessarily dead. A while ago I had guessed that the promo Ra would be the next in line... Is that the case? Or is this just older Dr. Washington? It doesn't really say, just that "Ra is different."

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I'm thinking older Dr. Washinton. To me I think he went and discovered more secrets about Ra's power or something and spent years doing so, causing the severe hair growth. Not to mention he does seem like he had taken a pretty big beating and is ready for a little bit of revenge and they say revenge is a dish best served Ra!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

First of all, that pun, I must say, was brilliant, and I would high-five you if I could.

Oh well, I've been wrong before; no big deal. It still looks awesome, and I can't wait to play as him. Maybe he'll be even stronger now. And we're gonna need strength for the Ennead.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I've been wrong as well, so who knows? I kind of had my fingers crossed that when they revealed the promo cards that they would also show the powers, guess we aren't that lucky. It has to be something other than a single target damage, since it will make is core card obsolete, so it'll have to do something pretty wacky to make him use his deck in a entirely new way and I currently have no guesses as to what they could do to him.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

I think it's Dr. Washington after going through rigorous trials and training in the desert. The long beard is a result of him not being able to shave for a while.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I know from personal experience that it is notoriously difficult to shave while living in primitive dwellings in the desert.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

but he does have access to fire. If he really wanted to shave all he would have to do is burn it all off.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Maybe he likes his beard!  Some people are very happy with their beards, I'll have you know.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

That's kind of what I was refering to when I said "if he really wanted" so I take it that he may have grown attached to it. Personally if I could grow a full beard I would to. From the looks of things I won't be able to until late twenties.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:
I know from personal experience that it is notoriously difficult to shave while living in primitive dwellings in the desert.

I want to see an inspirational movie about this.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:
... so I take it that he may have grown attached to it.

No, it grew attached to ... oh, never mind.

Quote:
... I won't be able to until late twenties.

[Insert comment about being old here]

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:
[Insert comment about being old here]

Oh, come now! I've seen you! You couldn't be a day older than 35!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Alrighty, I'm feeling super generous, so here you go.  I'll probably put this up on the Kickstarter in the next week or two, but I figured I'd put it here first for your viewing pleasure.

Now, don't say I've never given you anything.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

It was only up for two seconds or something, wasn't it? That or the picture just doesn't want to show on my computer.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Hooray! A reward! I can see that power being useful. It'd help him get his attack cards faster and disregard duplicates.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

So my computer is being a jerk then... What exactly is the power?

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

He can draw three cards, then discards two. Called "Sunrise".

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh very nice. He'll be moving through his deck faster than Tachyon at that rate. Makes me even more excited to get a hold of the card. (I could always just play Ra using that power instead but it won't be the same)

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Wow, a Ra that doesn't deal damage out of the gate.... craziness.  I was actually hoping for that power on alt Fanatic, but it's awesome regardless.  I'd say odds of getting the Flesh/Imbue/Solar Flare combo just went way up :)

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Is the image not showing up for some people?

Who can see this nifty new Ra?  Does Shift+F5 help?

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

I see it fine *continues drooling*

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Pages