The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Guesses and ideas for the 2nd Expansion

231 posts / 0 new
Last post
logan_mann
Guesses and ideas for the 2nd Expansion

For those of us who don't have inside knowledge, this is a place to ponder on the possibilities of the new expansion Infernal Relics.  If anyone who does know wants to drop a hint we'll gladly listen.  :D

Thematically we have "ancient deities, extra-planar gods, and dark spirits" according the the BGG description. 

From that I'd say that Ra and Fanatic may be seeing their Nemesis at last.  Ra himself being an ancient deity and very possibly having made someone mad long long ago and Fanatic is sworn to fight all evil and who would be more perfect than dark spirits or fallen angels to oppose her.

The addition of Richard Launius to the design team has several people on the threads thinking of his fan creations posted on BGG.  I wonder if the female hero of the cover with book in hand and mystic ring around her arm may not be built off of his Nightmist character idea.  Drawing power from and ancient tome.

No idea on fly boy in the back or the specifics of any villains.

What are your thoughts?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I loved the idea of Richard's magic hero (you draw cards that have numbers on them to see how powerful a magic spell will be), but I'm not a fan of his art (too R. Crumb-ey for me).  I fervently hope that the art for everything in "Infernal Relics" remains consistent with the rest of the game.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

It will.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiff
Spiff's picture

So, the box art for the expansion only shows two villains, which is strange.  Unless there are two more villains hiding behind that pyramid, then Greenskullheadman and Earthyroothair seem to be it.  That can't be true though.  The other two villains must be hiding.

ReptilianSamurai

Spiff wrote:
So, the box art for the expansion only shows two villains, which is strange.  Unless there are two more villains hiding behind that pyramid, then Greenskullheadman and Earthyroothair seem to be it.  That can't be true though.  The other two villains must be hiding.

How do you know that the Pyramid itself isn't one of the villains?  ;)

(Although it being an environment makes more sense).

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

My GUESS is that's one of the environments, but who knows :)

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

ReptilianSamurai

broccoli wrote:
My GUESS is that's one of the environments, but who knows :)

It does seem to have tentacles!

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Perhaps they're villains so horrific they'd drive people insane if the wrong set of eyes glanced upon the box art?

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

ReptilianSamurai

WriterRyan wrote:
Perhaps they're villains so horrific they'd drive people insane if the wrong set of eyes glanced upon the box art?

Medusa?

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Well it for sure says on the page that there are four villains, so we don't need to worry about that. It's still the same as the others. But yeah, I'm thinking Skullface probably has a good shot at being Fanatic's nemesis, and Sandman might be either Ra's or Haka's nemesis. Wow, this expansion showed up pretty fast; my friends and I haven't even beaten the Matriarch or Chairman! I'm actually falling behind!

I'm really happy to see the entire core game is getting remastered, and I'd love to get it, but I don't think I have $70 for that pledge right now. I'd love have it though, especially if it can carry all the core cards as well as all the expansion cards. Hauling around three boxes would be tiresome.

But I'm on the side of the pyramid being (at least part of) a new environment. I'm guessing it'd be a part of a "Ruined Desert City" environment, and the other one may be something like "Ancient Catacombs". Since the Rook City environments are definitely catered towards certain villains, it'll probably be the same way with this, assuming that like RC, the heroes, villains, and environments are all sticking to one theme, this time being "desert/ruins". Kinda like how it's essentially implied that you fight Plague Rat in Pike Ind. Comp., and that you fight Chairman in Rook City. So my guess for this one is Sandman and another villain are meant to be fought in the "Ruined Desert City" or at least somewhere above ground, and Skullface and another villain are meant to be fought in "Ancient Catacombs" or somewhere below ground.

Obviously you can play them on any environment, but as others have pointed out, some combinations of villains and environments are just weird. I'm pretty sure the first one brought up was fighting Spite on WMB. Or maybe fighting Chairman in the Ruins of Atlantas.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Quote:
environments are all sticking to one theme, this time being "desert/ruins"

I'm not sure that's a given.  The BBG page for the expansion mentions, "Ancient deities, extra-planar elder gods, and dark spirits".  We could be looking at any combination of spooky environments, not necessarily just desert/ruins ones, even if that's all that's on the box.

In fact, if Spooky McGreenskullface turns out to be a Fanatic villain, I'd be surprised if we were expected to only fight him at/near/underneath a pyramid.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Well, that's a good point. Spooky McGreenskullface could still be fought above ground. I'm guessing he's that "dark spirit" that's mentioned; he doesn't seem grand enough to be a deity. Yeah, he's big and scary, but I imagine a deity would just be bigger and even more scary. Who knows, maybe Fanatic's nemesis will actually be that ancient deity; it'd be part of her holy quest to stop these evil false gods (which turn out to not be so false). But the box literally has a picture of a desert area on it, so there's gotta be at least one desert environment, so I'm sticking with my guess of some ruined ancient Egyptian-esque city. The other one though: who knows. Though I still say it can't be radically far away; it wouldn't make sense if the box art showed the desert environment, only to have the second one turn out to be some place far away from any deserts. Then again, maybe >G really IS just trying to throw us for a loop.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

Cave of Wonders is an environment.
Jafar is a villain. You think it's a coincidence that the costume of the hero flying in the background of the cover looks like Aladdin's Prince Ali costume?  8)

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I knew it! This is the Disney expansion, isn't it?

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

evandan55 wrote:

Multiverse of Hearts?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:

evandan55 wrote:

Multiverse of Hearts?

If you're going where I think you're going, slow down. We don't want SotM to become a overly drawn-out series with a really confusing story that everyone just pretends to understand and gets worse with every expansion. Let's keep SotM in the realm of good. Like it should be.

(We are talking about Kingdom Hearts, right?)

foxtrot2620
Playtester

evandan55 wrote:

TheJayMann wrote:

evandan55 wrote:

Multiverse of Hearts?

If you're going where I think you're going, slow down. We don't want SotM to become a overly drawn-out series with a really confusing story that everyone just pretends to understand and gets worse with every expansion. Let's keep SotM in the realm of good. Like it should be.

(We are talking about Kingdom Hearts, right?)

ROXAS!!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Seeing as I have no more information than anyone else right now, i'll go ahead and make a port here before it is too late.

I do agree with all of you that Fanatic's nemesis will be in this one, but i'm not so sure about the flaming monster skull guy being him. I'm still holding out hope that the dark winged character will be her first nemesis.

I think the heroes will be the nemesis' with the villians on the cover, thus leaving Ra and Fanatic's nemesis completely hidden until they decide to reveal it. Though seen by Rook City, they may release a villian that has no known hero counterpart, but I doubt more than one will be that situation. I also speculate that in expansions the new heroes will always have a nemesis that has already been released. Omnitron and Plague Rat don't really seem like the type to be a nemesis with the new heroes so still have to wait to see what their heroes will be like.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Thank you for getting us back on track. And I'm with you: Neither one of those heroes could be Omnitron's nemesis. Maybe Fanatic's real one is one of the hidden ones. The flying guy in white seems just as likely to be a holy warrior fighting that evil skull man.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Yeah, I can totally seeing the man in white's nemesis being the flaming monster skull. But trying to get the link between the chicky and the sand monster is a bit odd. But who knows, maybe the sand monster is the environment and the pyramid is actually the true nemesis and the main villian in the expansion.

After all it could the cursed tomb of the evil McEvil pants that spirit has possessed the the pyramid and had it grow tentacles and has heavy Japanese influence so it likes them school girls. The chicky being a former school girl has came back to deal a little revenge to said Pyramid.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

That all seems completely reasonable.

ketigid

I find the flying guy in white with cape and orange hair hero just a bit too similar to Legacy in costume design... anyone?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

It is kind of similar to Legacy, but like someone has said before it looks more like Prince Aladin, minus sleeves. Though it is traditional clothing over there in the middle east so it can be forgiven. Maybe with a different colored hair it will take the Legacy look away.

ketigid

No character reveals every 2k like Rook City?  :'(

Ronway> Yup, a different colored hair will make the difference.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

The kickstarter hasn't been up that long, and the page does promise more updates soon, so I'm sure we'll be seeing more probably tomorrow. We're already 3/4 of the way there, so I'm sure they'll give us a good amount of reveals or at least names. I'm betting we fund it all the way tomorrow before the 24 hour mark. We'll be able to say we did it in less than a day!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I'm feeling nice.  Here's a name for you all to ponder:  GloomWeaver

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

A spoiler?! Donate faster!

And I'm just going to mentally assign that name to the skull-head. Seems possible. Though I've got a 1 in 4 shot, based on common sense that "GloomWeaver" is a villain's name.

Donate faster than that! Depending on time zones, we've got half a day if we're gonna go for 24 hours. We don't have to, but hey, that'd be cool, right?

Greonhal
Playtester

ReptilianSamurai wrote:

evandan55 wrote:

Christopher wrote:

And I'm just going to mentally assign that name to the skull-head.

I'm assigning it to the Pyramid! I love the idea that the Pyramid is a villain.

Tamar

Greonhal wrote:

ReptilianSamurai wrote:

evandan55 wrote:

Christopher wrote:

And I'm just going to mentally assign that name to the skull-head.

I'm assigning it to the Pyramid! I love the idea that the Pyramid is a villain.

It COULD be pretty dark and gloomy inside a pyramid... ^_^

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

Cool sounding name....but I'll stick with "Spooky McGreenskullface" for now.  It just has a ring to it :P

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Alright. I give up. You all win: the pyramid is a villain. And now that we know its name, we need to come up with origins! I say it was constructed out of bricks made of solid evil (very difficult to find, but that makes him more evil)! How do we kill something that isn't technically alive?!

Greonhal
Playtester

evandan55 wrote:
Alright. I give up. You all win: the pyramid is a villain. And now that we know its name, we need to come up with origins! I say it was constructed out of bricks made of solid evil (very difficult to find, but that makes him more evil)! How do we kill something that isn't technically alive?!

We're heroes! We don't need to kill GloomWeaver, just subdue it.

broccoli wrote:

Christopher wrote:

Cool sounding name....but I'll stick with "Spooky McGreenskullface" for now.  It just has a ring to it :P

Maybe they'll make Spooky McGreenskullface into an alt villain card.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

evandan55 wrote:

*cough*Omnitron*cough*

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

evandan55 wrote:

*cough*Omnitron*cough*

...I literally have no response. Nothing I say can counter that. That's... accurate. Okay, we can kill the pyramid. We'll have to tear him apart, brick by brick! I've got this down, though. I've played Minecraft: I can take down bricks with ease.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Infernal Relics gameplay does not involve battling against a pyramid.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

Well, there's the end of that. Now I'm sad. Maybe we should hold off on making guesses until we have more names and bios...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Christopher wrote:

You just said pyramid, nothing about a cursed pyramid with tentacles growing out of it that also happens to like school girls.

But to all seriousness there may be a environment that takes place in the desert that has a card that features a pyramid that has some sort of crazy effect. Or maybe an environment that takes place inside.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I'm sticking with my theory about at least one environment being a ruined desert city, or some dark catacombs. Maybe not both, but at least one.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I just like dropping little hints that SOUND conclusive in their phrasing, but actually create more questions than they do answers.

Because I care.

;D

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

You mean like LOST?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

You should totally be nice Christopher, the kickstarter hasn't even been up for twenty-four hours and it is only 1.5 thousand away from the goal. So at least give us something else besides GloomWeaver. Even if it is something as simple as if all four villians have a nemesis that is within the core game, Rook City, and Infernal Relics.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Deal.  I'll give you something.  Something awesome!

Infernal Relics features 2 heroes and 4 villains.  And 2 environments, of course.

Two of the villains are the nemeses of the two Infernal Relics heroes.  The other two are nemeses of core Sentinels of the Multiverse heroes. 

Specifically Ra and Fanatic.

Enjoy!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Awesome! Thank you a lot. So the speculation wass correct. Now to figure out which heroes go with which villian.

Still thinking that the new heroes' nemesis' are the other two featured on the cover. I am also going on a limb and say the tentacles are a creature in a environment deck.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Wait, aren't those tentacles coming from the monster rising out of the ground? That's what it looks like. Just wrapping around the pyramid though.

Ra and Fanatic? Awesome! I just saw the update on Kickstarter. I'm with Ronway; their nemeses are probably the two hidden villains. And I'm super happy $30 will get me the two promo cards. I want those so bad. They're going to be great, I'm sure of it. I wonder if they'll be older versions of the heroes like Wraith's was. Or... wait! Since Ra's bio says that there have been many different people who have taken up Ra's title throughout time, what if the promo Ra is actually another person?!

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

evandan55 wrote:
Or... wait! Since Ra's bio says that there have been many different people who have taken up Ra's title throughout time, what if the promo Ra is actually another person?!

Oh man, I don't have any insider information on this, so I can't confirm or deny it, but that sounds like an awesome idea and a good guess, too...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

evandan55 wrote:
Wait, aren't those tentacles coming from the monster rising out of the ground? That's what it looks like. Just wrapping around the pyramid though.

Ra and Fanatic? Awesome! I just saw the update on Kickstarter. I'm with Ronway; their nemeses are probably the two hidden villains. And I'm super happy $30 will get me the two promo cards. I want those so bad. They're going to be great, I'm sure of it. I wonder if they'll be older versions of the heroes like Wraith's was. Or... wait! Since Ra's bio says that there have been many different people who have taken up Ra's title throughout time, what if the promo Ra is actually another person?!

I was thinking that the tentacles were part of the monster too, but everyone else was refering to it as something else and the tentacles are different then what is on his head. So I just ended up going with everyone else with it.

Didn't even think about the past Ra's. Now that is even better, hope it does turn out like that.

Fanatic's nemesis just has to be the dark winged guy though, I just know it. Though it will be equally as cool if he is Fanatic's promo card.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

His bio on the main site says Dr. Washington discovered the title of Ra had been passed from warrior to warrior when each one died (or as the bio says, "defeated"), so maybe in the Sentinels main story at this point, Washington dies, and another Ra takes over. Possible, right? Kinda? Or he retires? I mean, he could die. A while ago, Chris said that there's another timeline where Young Legacy dies, so is it crazy to think other heroes could die too?

And I'm positive the tentacles are from the sand monster. Just look at it.

I don't know about the black-winged guy though. We used to be pretty positive about Tachyon's nemesis, but look how that turned out. We'll just see.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Considering characters dying in comics is a hugely popular trope, I wouldn't discount that possibility. Uncle Ben is basically the only character ever who has stayed dead after dying.

ReptilianSamurai

Ronway wrote:

Christopher wrote:

You just said pyramid, nothing about a cursed pyramid with tentacles growing out of it that also happens to like school girls.

But to all seriousness there may be a environment that takes place in the desert that has a card that features a pyramid that has some sort of crazy effect. Or maybe an environment that takes place inside.

Exactly! You're actually battling the tentacles, not the pyramid. (And even if that isn't the case in this set, a Japanese inspired expansion would be incredible. You could fight a super-sized lizard-beast, tentacle monsters, etc - and heroes could include a magical girl, the pilot of a giant mecha, etc.)

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

Hrmm...since Ra apparently has a number of villains in his Nemesis deck, I'm-a thinking there's a slim possibility that the OTHER Ra's of the past may have been defeated by their own power, and we have to quell the uprising of crazed, Ra-obsessed, loonies that think of nothing but destroying those that inherited what power they used to embody.

I'd dig that.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

flamethrower49
Playtester

I don't have my set here with me, but isn't there a picture of a potentially adversarial-looking dog-headed chap on one of Ra's cards?  If so, we may be able to interpret that as Set or Anubis or some Egyptian diety that opposed Ra in some story or another. 

I'm not an expert on Egyptian mythology by any means, but Wikipedia has the story of the Eye of Ra.  Ra's symbol could be this Eye of Ra, which was supposed to be a part of Ra that could act independently of him, and dissented from him in some way. 

One or both of these factors may be reflected in some aspect of either Ra's new nemesis or the new Ra card. 

Pages