The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

GSF Statistic Form Feedback

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
GSF Statistic Form Feedback

I am trying to work up a form to gather the data to for the GSF games, and instead of trying to come up with it myself, I am going to ask for help.

Here is what I have so far.

The idea here was to create two sections. The first being the absoutely minimum required data, while the other sections asks for more details. This should allow some people to quickly submit games, and submit games if they don't remember everything about it.

Do you agree with the breakdown? Should somethings be added? Should some things change sections? What about the wording?

This, of course, is not close to final, but I wanted to put something together so we can start talking.

Here is my first form I put together. While I like the grid, I was forced to put in a column for "Not in Game." You do not have to select that for every ships, but since once something is selected it can't be unselected, I needed the column. The only problem is that it is slightly less intuitive.

EDIT: I decided to go with the first form, since more people used it anyway. If you have any thoughts about the data or the forms, please state them below.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Overall, nice!  I think version 2 is more easily understood, and seems to have all the necessary information.  In the bottom portion for more detailed reporting, how about having a section that indicates which sectors were overrun?  I'm not sure how far to take that - whether it should just be a checkbox for "overrun at game end" or if there should be some way to track that a sector was overrun and then cleared back to a contested state.

The only other information tracking I can think of that might be useful is variant playing conditions, and those aren't standardized so tracking them is troublesome at best and futile at worst.  Things like "Started in really easy mode - only one Opp ship per Strike Force ship" or "Elite Mode effects without Elite Mode additional energy" would be interesting information to know, but may not be worth the effort of building into the form.

There's a minor typo on the form: "This section will ask you about detailed infomration of your game. "

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Would you be willing to put in a place for people to enter a username for tracking/analysis purposes later?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

OK, I decided to go with the second form, which more people used anyways. There were two games was the first form, and I will transfer those over.

I made one small modification: under scrapped ships, I put an option for "None." I realized that I couldn't tell if no ships were scrapped, or the question wasn't answered.

Now, I am going to try and organize and use the data. I made the form look nice, now I just have to see how easily the data can be accessed. If there is a problem, I will change some stuff around.

I actaully thought about Sectors a lot, and after running a couple of Living Sentinel Campaigns, here are some thoughts:

I was thinking about whether there should be an option for if a Sector was ever Overrun. However, I am not a big fan of remembering information that happened in the middle of the game. It would be easier, if all of the info was based on the final game state. The game ends, and you still see all the important info on the board.

Now, what about the end state. The only issue here is something similar to reporting end hp in SotM. If a player wants to, he can keep going for a round or two more in order to get a "better" stat. Is this something we want? Is not ahving any Sector Overrun more of a victory than scrapping the Flagship with ships still in there? I am not sure.

There is also a second issue. Most of the time you will clear the board of scrap the Falgship during the Battle phase, but Sectors don't flip back until the Aftermath. Technically, when the game ends, the Sector will be Overrun, so it is hard to assess how important this info will be.

Of course, if people disagree, I will add it in.

Regarding variants: I wanted to keep things "official," but we could add some thing in.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

I made one small modification: under scrapped ships, I put an option for "None." I realized that I couldn't tell if no ships were scrapped, or the question wasn't answered.

Nice!  

Pydro wrote:

I actaully thought about Sectors a lot, and after running a couple of Living Sentinel Campaigns, here are some thoughts:I was thinking about whether there should be an option for if a Sector was ever Overrun. However, I am not a big fan of remembering information that happened in the middle of the game. It would be easier, if all of the info was based on the final game state. The game ends, and you still see all the important info on the board.Now, what about the end state. The only issue here is something similar to reporting end hp in SotM. If a player wants to, he can keep going for a round or two more in order to get a "better" stat. Is this something we want? Is not ahving any Sector Overrun more of a victory than scrapping the Flagship with ships still in there? I am not sure.There is also a second issue. Most of the time you will clear the board of scrap the Falgship during the Battle phase, but Sectors don't flip back until the Aftermath. Technically, when the game ends, the Sector will be Overrun, so it is hard to assess how important this info will be.Of course, if people disagree, I will add it in.

Hmm, good point on only recording state at the end of the game.  Obviously I haven't played it as much as many people, but so far the few games I've played (without using a halved starting count of Opp ships) have been difficult enough that I can't imagine controlling the game to the point of choosing to extend it just to get better stats.  I'm sure people with more experience could see that happening, but how likely do you think that is?  The reason I'd be curious about overrun sectors is to see trends over time of what sectors people tend to allow to get/stay overrun.  It's not crucial information to track, of course.

Pydro wrote:

Regarding variants: I wanted to keep things "official," but we could add some thing in.

Ehh, no worries.  I was just trying to give some feedback of things that might be interesting to compare.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

EdgeDS wrote:

The reason I'd be curious about overrun sectors is to see trends over time of what sectors people tend to allow to get/stay overrun. 

This isn't a bad stat, and if people want it, I will add it in. I was just concerned that the data wouldn't accurately reflect what is going on.

I don't mind putting in "common variants," I just don't want to add in a lot of little variances that are only used in a single game group. At least with official rules with have something that most people will know/follow.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

EdgeDS wrote:
The reason I'd be curious about overrun sectors is to see trends over time of what sectors people tend to allow to get/stay overrun. 

This isn't a bad stat, and if people want it, I will add it in. I was just concerned that the data wouldn't accurately reflect what is going on.I don't mind putting in "common variants," I just don't want to add in a lot of little variances that are only used in a single game group. At least with official rules with have something that most people will know/follow. 

I would like it in there. Maybe just specify in the instructions that you want to know which sectors were overrun at the moment that the flagship (or last minion ship) was scrapped.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

OK, as far as I am concerned, the form is live. I really need some more data before I try and organize it. Right now, everything comes up with errors.

Here is a copy to the results. I am waiting a bit to start making more interesting charts, but if anybody has some suggestions of what info to show, just post it below.

Also, as of right now I am showing the actual numbers, not just the percentage, because there are so few games.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

looks good Pydro! If you need any help with this let me know - I'm not nearly as much into GSF as I was sentinels (and life has taken a turn where its harder for me to keep up with Sentinels even :( ) but if you need any advice, I'd be glad to lend an ear.

If you want to do the Username, its just a field for them to enter their username as a last question - very awesome for personal game tracking as the database grows. Good luck with this one!

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The name is a good idea, I will add that in. If I have some specific questions, I wil ask. Any other hints you can think of would be great too.

If anybody wants to add in their name to a game already posted, PM me your name and the game, and I will add it in.

EDIT: Ok, I made this other sheet, where you can type in your name, and all of your games will come up. Anyone can edit the sheet, so if you see someone using it, just wait your turn. Once we get some more info, I will make other sheets that display just your data.