The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

GSF 2nd attempt at 1st game

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Krayden006
Krayden006's picture
GSF 2nd attempt at 1st game

Our first attempt at game one was scrapped after a single round due to confusion over the rules.  A week has now gone by and I've poured over the rulebook and the forums here.  Now that we're ready to give it another shot, how can I set up the game to make it as uncomplicated as possible?  I remember reading somewhere that even though the rules say use Bareg Syndicate for your first game, that that was a bad idea.  What opposition should I use?  What sectors and what ships would be good to use for a 3 player game?

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Technovores are a good start IMO.   The trade location (reduced prices) and any location that gives a boost to low energy ships should be very beginner friendly.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I actually found using the sector with less station decks very helpful for my first game. You can let it get overrun and not have to worry about it too much because the opposition will only be flipping one station card per round no matter how many unengaged ships there are. Having the easy choice to leave that sector alone for a while made the early game a little less overwhelming.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Why only one flip per round? Isn't it that each unengaged ship flips a card, with a maximum of each pile flipping once? So, with two or more unengaged ships, both piles will flip each round, no?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Once it's overrun it goes down to one pile.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Where does it say that?  The most I've ever seen written about what happens when a Sector is overrun is this:

While Overrun, if no Station cards are flipped during the Opposition Flip Cards Event, then the Sector is cleared, and the Sector Panel flips back to the contested side.

Nothing about changing how many piles flip each turn.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Spiff wrote:

Where does it say that?  The most I've ever seen written about what happens when a Sector is overrun is this:

While Overrun, if no Station cards are flipped during the Opposition Flip Cards Event, then the Sector is cleared, and the Sector Panel flips back to the contested side.

Nothing about changing how many piles flip each turn.

Spiff, look at the Kolvarian Wastes Sector Panel. The Contested side only has 2 station card piles. It doesn't get a third. On the Overrun side, it tells you to remove the first pile totally. While Overrun, the Wastes will only have 1 station card pile. Regardless of how many Opp ships there are, since there is only 1 pile it can't flip more than 1 card in the Aftermath.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

There is one sector in particular that has this condition: 2 stations on its Contested side and only 1 station on its Overrun side... though I forget what the name of it is at this time. 

I used this sector on my first game and just let it get overrun while we concentrated elsewhere as we built up our ships. I think having only one station card flip instead of three really did give us a bit of breathing room to get the hang of the game. 

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Kolvarian Wastes! Exactly. I couldn't remember the name of the sector. If we're putting together a recommended starting game (or multiple), I would definitely recommend including it for the reasons that jagarcio mentioned.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

It can be a double edged sword though. Yes only flipping 1 card is a great help, but you are also very limited to what you can buy and whats avaliable as you are taking away a lot of options which will ultimately slow down building. Trying to Contest that sector once overrun is not as easy because of it.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Ah, got it.  I thought grysqrl was referring to some game-wide rule that Sectors only flip one pile when they're overrun, not just that that particular Sector is special.