The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Great Visit with GtG

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
waedens
Playtester
Great Visit with GtG

Had a great visit to the home of GtG yesterday. When I first arrived I wasn't sure that I had found the right place. The sign on the door is very sun bleached and hard to see. Then I turned around and saw these signs in the parking spots and all doubt was erased.

Attachment(s): 
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Attachment not found. :(

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

waedens
Playtester

I surprised them a little bit as I had only interacted with Paul on thr forum a little bit, but they were very gracious and took some time to chat. In the end Adam signed some cards for my kids, Christopher gave me some secret knowledge about Unity to sharr with. my daughter (aftet I showed him a picture of her cosplaying Unity) and Paul gave me the nickel tour. If you get the chance to stop by make sure you visit the warehouse. They will modestly say that it is just a bunch of boxes, but it is more than that. Jodie has decorated the walls with all the banners the team has used at conferences in the past. Doing so she has made it into a sort of historical museum of the multiverse. Definitely worth the price of admission. All I can say is, great team and meeting them makes me happy that I have been able to take part in a little of their journey througj the multiverse.

Attachment(s): 
waedens
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Attachment not found. :(

Weird it open when I click on it. Try this.

Attachment(s): 
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Glad you got to go, waedens! They are a great group! laugh

And it doesn't look like any of the attachments are working. Try a name without a space, maybe? Could be an issue with how the site stores attachments... frown

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The attachments work for me.  Our new post editing issue?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I can't see them either.

waedens
Playtester

Just removed and reposted them. Hopfully that helps. They work for me so I am not sure what else to do.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Maybe only mods can't see them. That wouldn't be a problem at all.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I'm not a mod, and I can't see them.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000

Apparently I'm the lucky one who can see them.   I assume the one unfamiliar face in the group photo is the new warehouse/inventory person they hired.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Apparently I'm the lucky one who can see them.   I assume the one unfamiliar face in the group photo is the new warehouse/inventory person they hired.  

I assume that no one can see them and you're just gaslighting the rest of us.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I can see them.  They're custom "Reserved Parking" signs.  waedens at least will be able to confirm.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

grysqrl wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I assume that no one can see them and you're just gaslighting the rest of us.

I'm not that cheeky.  

waedens
Playtester

The one is a custom parking sign that says heroes only and the other is actually a picture of me with Adam, Christopher and Paul.

And now that I am checking from home I can't see them either. Very Weird.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Are you the one holding the camera in that second picture? (I don't think I know what Paul looks like...)

Because if so, you look oddly familiar. o.O

Powerhound_2000

TakeWalker wrote:

Are you the one holding the camera in that second picture? (I don't think I know what Paul looks like...)Because if so, you look oddly familiar. o.O

You can make Paul and other GtG folks dance anytime you want on this page https://greaterthangames.com/about-us

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The site uses at least two web servers. It's possible, I suppose, that one is allowing access to the uploaded files and others aren't. I'll ping Joel.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

waedens
Playtester

Yes, I am holding the camera. I could be familiar...I do a bit of travel for work, conferences and the like, mostly science related.

Fun fact, Paul knows quite a bit about DNA sequencing. He spent some time doing some programing for the group that worked on the human genome project. You never know what you are going to learn when you visit GtG.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

waedens wrote:

Yes, I am holding the camera. I could be familiar...I do a bit of travel for work, conferences and the like, mostly science related.Fun fact, Paul knows quite a bit about DNA sequencing. He spent some time doing some programing for the group that worked on the human genome project. You never know what you are going to learn when you visit GtG.

s/the group/one of the groups/

He and I worked at two of the three major sites that led the US portion of the sequencing. I believe the Welcome Trust in the UK was the biggest contributor, though I no longer recall for certain.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

waedens
Playtester

Small world. Did you know Doug Johnson? I work more on the protein side of things, but have done a fare amount of DNA sequening as well.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

waedens wrote:

Small world. Did you know Doug Johnson? I work more on the protein side of things, but have done a fare amount of DNA sequening as well.

Don't recognize the name. I was at the Baylor College of Medicine from 1994 to 1999 working as a programmer/analyst. Didn't meet many people at other sites and might not remember them 20 years later. Though Paul and I incidentally worked in similar fields, I didn't meet him until I started playing Sentinels. OK, technically I met him a few hours before.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I ended up with time for a brief stop by their office myself this morning, and am grateful to Christopher for taking the time out to talk to me. Craig, and late Rae, were the only people who were around (Mark & Mara driving back from Columbus; Jennifer out of the office; nobody else in). Maybe a half hour all told, including a tiny bit of a peek at some of the RPG materials in progress, but mostly a time for me to say hello.

waedens
Playtester

And now that I am back at work I can see the images again. I have no idea what is going on.

PS - I have decided that the forum needs a like button so the we can like people's posts.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

*looking for a way to like the previous post*

Guise
Guise's picture

Hey! When you visited the warehouse did you check out the Mr. Chomps? Some of them have become my VERY special friends!

We're going to fight EEEEEEEVIL! Because, you know, EEEEEEEVIL!

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I saw the big ol' tub; didn't need to take one home because my 7-year-old has stolen the one that used to be my classroom talking piece.