The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

"Grappling Hook," Expatriette's innate Power

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
andycolton
"Grappling Hook," Expatriette's innate Power

Hey all,

My friends and I encountered an issue or two while playing and we would like some feedback. Someone was playing Expatriette couldn't play any cards from her hand because they were all limited ongoings/equipments already in play. We know there's no way to actually play them, but we wanted to know if she could activate her power, even if it meant nothing happened. So:

A.) Can this Expatriette still activate her innate power if there are cards in his hand, but they cannot be played? (E.g. If for some reason you wanted to activate the effect of one of Spite's "PL626 Compound XI" drug card.
B.) Can her "Play a card" power still be activated if there are 0 cards in the player's hand?

Similarly, The Wraith's card "Grappling Hook" reads as follows:
"Destroy 1 ongoing or environment card.

You may draw a card."

So:

C.) Could The Wraith play "Grappling Hook" from the hand if there were no ongoing or environment cards to destroy?

Thanks,
The Hootenanny Crew.

PS: Spite's drug card reads as follows: "Whenever a hero used a power, Spice deals them 2 Toxic damage and that hero's player discards the top 5 cards of their deck."

Andy Colton

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

A. Yes, but you won't be able to put anything into play from your hand.

B.  Same as A since you don't have a hand.

C. Yes.  The only effect will be drawing a card if there are no valid targets to destroy. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Let's see...I think the text for "Load" just says "Play a card", doesn't it? So you would have to play something, and if you ever try to play a Limited card that's already in play, the new one goes to the trash and never manages to enter play. So I suppose using that power when you have no applicable cards would basically amount to "discard a card".

I would also expect that you can activate the power when there are no cards in hand - it just wouldn't do anything.

And Grappling Hook can be played, I'm sure, if there are no ongoing or environment cards to destroy. Note that there is no "may" about this card - you must destroy something if there is something to destroy, even if that means taking out a fellow hero's ongoing card. If there are absolutely no environment or ongoing cards in play then you would just skip to "You may draw a card", at which point you can choose whether or not to do that (as it says "may").

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000

The only way a Limited card can attempt to come into play is from cards that put cards into play from top or bottom of your deck.   In those cases the card goes into the trash.  If you only have Limited cards in your hand and they are already in play then you have no valid cards to play.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

As an additional example to Grapplong Hook, the card Sucker Punch from Tachyon's deck can be played if there no valid targets.   Primarily you would do this for getting more burst cards in your trash.  

andycolton

Excellent, thank you!

Andy Colton