The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

going to con need help fast

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture
going to con need help fast

Was invited to a boardgame conention with some friends today.

I will have my full everything box of SotM and will try to run some games at the open gameing tables, (unless i get distracted by planned events Or or one of you is all ready there running events)

Any advise for running and teaching SotM to people who i have not gamed with for many years?

For my group of gamer friends I ran Ambasace in Freedom Tower

Gave them a basic run down of all the characters pick who you want, not Argent Adept

If people want to play against Kargra Warfang and the BloodSworn Colleseum I will not play and just manage and track titles and favor

If 5 people want to play I will not play and just manage the decks, possible peaking at villian and environment cards early to come up with a story narative descriptian of the scene.

Any other advise people can give would be apriciated 

Invitation was spure of the moment not even sure what city other than middle of Iowa

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

You really need to judge the experience level of the players you are playing with. If they are all new players, do not do Kargra Warfang, it is just too much. Baron Blade in Insula Primalis remains a good introductory villain, if you are not sick of him.

I'd also encourage you to look around at the con! There's bound to be lots of interesting stuff going on.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, as DPT says, Blade in Insula Primalis is a good first game for new players - that's the setup I use. Usually I'm only teaching one person so I play as both Lgacy and Dark Visionary in order to buff the other player and stop Blade from playing anything too horrible. Teaching more than one person I'll just take Legacy, for support to make the other players feel more powrful from the damage buff, and also to introduce/explain the Nemesis mechanic. When offering heroes to the new player(s) I tend to offer a choice between simple ones like Ra, Tempest, and Wraith, the former because he's super straightforward (burn all the things, unless they were already burning in which case burn them some more) and the latter two because they're good all-rounders who can do a lot of stuff but are fairly straightforward in doing so.

For a second game I tend to bring out Citizen Dawn - "Okay, you've beaten Baron Blade and that was really wasy, wasn't it? Okay, how about a more challenging villain - this one has a card in her deck commonly referred to as "That Card" - I'm sure you'll know it when you see it, if it comes up..." and I'm trying to remember if I use a specific environment with her but can't think of it off the top of my head. Somewhere a bit worse than Insula Primalis but not super villain-friendly like Rook City.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Good luck at your con.

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

late update

no one was interested in sentinels but i had fun hanging out with the friends who invited me out there so no loss

Thanks for the advise

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.