The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Go Red Birds!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
beevolant
Go Red Birds!

Anyone watch game 6 last night?

I don't care if you don't know first base from a hole in the ground - it was a thrilling, intense game. We're were at the neighborhood bar with our medieval re-enactment friends last night and could not go home until almost midnight to see the game end. The whole place lit up (I'm in StL), it was amazing. Tonight, we're hopefully going to the pub to watch Game 7.

I think the thing I love about baseball (besides being a Cardinals' fan) is that it's one of the only games where you can fail two thirds of the time and still be a hero (heck, only failing 2/3 of the time is way sweet and makes you a badass). With smart phones, you can double check your math against the pros too (for batting averages et al) - any game where I get to run stats while playing/watching is for me - especially when it's a bunch of hot guys/gals running and jumping and sliding into each other *cough* I mean, amazing athletes.

"Crime doesn't keep the Sabbath"

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Baseball is probably the most traumatic sport for uncoordinated kids though. In no other sport do both teams get to stand around and watch you fail while you're basically in the spotlight.  :-\

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

The Conscience
Playtester

As I am in no way a fan of Baseball (or any other organized sport for that matter) but I have to say that being around people that are in a crowded bar all cheering for their team it makes one feel all warm and squishy inside. I also know a few people from St Louis as I lived in the area for a year or so and I support them as they cheer their team on. I hope that the Cards do as well as everyone hopes and if not then at least they had a good run.

The Myth, The Legend, The Dream. You can't escape The Conscience!

beevolant

WriterRyan wrote:
Baseball is probably the most traumatic sport for uncoordinated kids though. In no other sport do both teams get to stand around and watch you fail while you're basically in the spotlight.  :-\

I am/was one of the uncoordinated ones, but I guess it was character building for me. Maybe kids were just nicer at my school, that and I knew the stats. Soccer was the traumatic sport for me - when you fail in soccer you end up with a sprained ankle in addition to your sprained pride. My ankles have been sprained many times. :)

awp832
Playtester

Ah, baseball... brings back memories...  As a kid I was a small guy,  I'm not an especially large guy *now*  but as a kid I was usually the smallest in my class, or darn close to it.    It turns out in baseball, this is a very, very good thing.  So it was kind of like my sport.  No,  I wasn't particularly good at it,  I couldn't throw very far,  I couldn't catch very well,  I couldn't even hit very well.  But for a few marvellous summers,  something wonderful occured.

Pitching was introduced.    Before then it was T-ball where everyone's on equal ground, or pitching machine which I could hit off of.  Real pitching though,  was glorious.    For those of you who don't know,  a players strike zone is the area roughly between his knees and his shoulders,  and about as long  as the bat reaches.  Smaller guy = smaller strike zone.  Essentially nobody could throw a strike on me,  I would get on base all the time.  I *was* pretty fast, and I liked stealing bases when I could.  I would almost always score for our team,  and even though I wasn't particularly good in the field, I felt like a valuble player.  Probably the reason I still like baseball, as opposed to say, football or basketball, which I could really care less about.    Eventually pitchers leanred what they were doing and could strike me out,  I stopped playing around that time,  and though that may have had something to do with it,  I left with fond memories.    I can't really say the same for my escapades with Soccer, or basketball.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

beevolant

Eleven in '11! In the words of the immortal Jack Buck - Go crazy folks!

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I'm just glad to finally get back to watching The Simpsons et. al.

Now I shall go hide behind that brick wall over there such that I can avoid all the attacks coming my way.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

The Conscience
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:
I'm just glad to finally get back to watching The Simpsons et. al.

Now I shall go hide behind that brick wall over there such that I can avoid all the attacks coming my way.

Mind if I join you behind that wall as I feel the need to avoid the very same attacks? :P

I figure we can play some SotM while the baseball fans throw their balls at us.

The Myth, The Legend, The Dream. You can't escape The Conscience!