The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

GenCon 2017

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester
GenCon 2017

I wanted to get this topic rolling early this year for one very important reason.

The Gencon housing lottery begins Monday, February 12th. I heard through the grapevine that if you want to get in, you must do so today. I just wanted to throw it out there to get in front of as many people as possible. I'm helpful like that. However, I've never had to do this before, so please don't ask me details (in fact I'd be delighted if someone would walk me through the process and answer any questions I have.)

The not-so-emergency part of this post is: Who's going? Who's doing awesome stuff? Who's not doing awesome stuff but would like to meet up and get some awesome stuff done?

Let's talk about GenCon!

deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester

The strictly-about-me part: I'm about to buy badges for the first time in what 15 years? 20? I'm not sure, but I'm super excited!

I haven't been to GenCon since its last year in Milwaukee, so I'm not registering for any events. Just keeping myself wide open. I'll also have my 11 year old son along, who may be small but has been the huuugest Sentinels fan for... I don't know, ever... so we'll be doing as much Sentinels stuff as possible.

Tips and advice welcome.

And I'd definitely enjoy putting faces to (forum) names if anyone wants to get together and play a game or seven.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Some year I might actually be able to attend but it will not be this year. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'll be there (I mean, I _live_ here), but it will be somewhat abbreviated, as I'll be traveling right up through Wed night.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@deddragon

It is awesome that you are going to Gen Con! The last time you were at Gen Con, I was part of the group that won the costume contest :)

Greater Than Games will have a huge presence at the show this year. In addition to our booth, we've had a dedicated demo room in the concourse outside of the main expo hall for the past two years. This year, our room will be in a better / easier to find location right in the middle of the concourse across from the escalators (for those of you super familiar with the ICC). We'll also have a big banner this year hanging from the ceiling of the concourse outside of our room!

In addition to short demos in our booth, and long demos in our room, we'll be doing a bunch of Sentinel Comics RPG demos in other spaces at the show, and be running a number of panels on board gaming.

I hope to see you there!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I'll be there! In past years, I've volunteered for Greater than Games, which has been great: running demos of their games is basically my favorite thing, and gives me a place to hang out when the crowds get to be too much.

I live in Bloomington (1 hour away in good traffic), but I'll still be entering the housing lottery. (This means I'm buying a convention pass, with the expectation of getting it refunded later, since GtG has in past years given out convention passes.)

deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

I'll be there (I mean, I _live_ here), but it will be somewhat abbreviated, as I'll be traveling right up through Wed night.

I went to many GenCons back in the day, as it was super convenient that my father lived in Milwaukee. Not so convenient now that it's in Indy, but I feel like I owe it to my son to give him the experience and to myself to get back at least one more time. Even if I have to stretch my summer budget. (Hotel pricing! Yikes!)

dpt wrote:

I'll be there! In past years, I've volunteered for Greater than Games, which has been great: running demos of their games is basically my favorite thing, and gives me a place to hang out when the crowds get to be too much.I live in Bloomington (1 hour away in good traffic), but I'll still be entering the housing lottery. (This means I'm buying a convention pass, with the expectation of getting it refunded later, since GtG has in past years given out convention passes.)

I would absolutely LOVE to volunteer, but I wouldn't want to subject my 11 year old shadow to remaining in the same place for hours at a time. Even if it is demoing his favorite game, that's just not in his wheelhouse. Based on Paul's description, I'm positive we'll be stopping in many times though. I definitely want in on some SotM RPG! And if I can introduce him to any GtG staffers I'm sure my boy will be on cloud nine!

deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:

@deddragonIt is awesome that you are going to Gen Con! The last time you were at Gen Con, I was part of the group that won the costume contest :)

Well then we both won something! I took first place in the Dragon Dice Sealed Box Novice Tournament! Actually, that may have been the year before... My memory is a bit dimmer than it used to be :-)

Paul wrote:

Greater Than Games will have a huge presence at the show this year. In addition to our booth, we've had a dedicated demo room in the concourse outside of the main expo hall for the past two years. This year, our room will be in a better / easier to find location right in the middle of the concourse across from the escalators (for those of you super familiar with the ICC). We'll also have a big banner this year hanging from the ceiling of the concourse outside of our room!In addition to short demos in our booth, and long demos in our room, we'll be doing a bunch of Sentinel Comics RPG demos in other spaces at the show, and be running a number of panels on board gaming.I hope to see you there!

This is excellent news! I look forward to seeing AAALLLL of this!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'll be there, presumably spending some amount of time running a million Spirit Island demos.

Incidentally, the housing registration starts on Sunday, not Monday; though, it obviously depends on what day/time you get in the lottery.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

If you want to enter the housing, you should buy your badge today. Slots for the lottery will be distributed tomorrow (Saturday), although the slots start at noon on Sunday.

deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester

grysqrl wrote:

Incidentally, the housing registration starts on Sunday, not Monday; though, it obviously depends on what day/time you get in the lottery.

Whoa! Good catch! The 12th is Sunday, not Monday.

hXcMike

Any word on volunteer signups?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@hXcMike

Craig should be posting about that soon!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi