The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

GenCon 2015

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
GenCon 2015

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Woohoo! Looking forward to seeing folks. :-D And spreading the love of GTG's stuff. ;-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

If I show up, it'll be as a Saturday day trip. (I'm about 2 hours straight west of Indy.) Would be for a dealer hall/board game library-only badge, with the Grasshopper (age 9) in tow. 

Taba
Taba's picture

Looks like all of my revenues will be in place to actually make it to GenCon to volunteer!  Yiiisssssssss........

"Hat guy that isn't Craig" - Another Minion
Booth Minion

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I can volunteer at Gen Con, just need a place to sleep.  I'm not willing to pay for a hotel room for just me, so if anyone has a hotel room with space for a crasher I can pay my share of the room.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm under the impression that a lot of people had a hard time getting hotel rooms this year (harder than the normal smash-your-head-against-the-wall frustration). How have things gone for folks trying to get hotel rooms less than 7 miles away?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Fwiw, I've said on Twitter that I don't know where the youth hostel in Indy is, but I've stayed in them for professional conferences and not been the oldest person there.

morph147

how do badges work at gen con and if i want can i just pay at the door?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Taba wrote:

Looks like all of my revenues will be in place to actually make it to GenCon to volunteer!  Yiiisssssssss........

Not good on the "all of my revenues", but great that you'll make it! laugh

jffdougan wrote:

Fwiw, I've said on Twitter that I don't know where the youth hostel in Indy is, but I've stayed in them for professional conferences and not been the oldest person there.

The Indy Hostel is a bit over 6 miles from the convention center, with a nearby bus route available, also.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

morph147 wrote:

You can, but it will be a long, tedious line, eating in to your convention time.

Also, note that the badge gets you into the convention center, into the exhibit hall, and into a variety of things, BUT DOES NOT GET YOU INTO SCHEDULED EVENTS. You need to buy tickets for each event (though some things, like panels, are sometimes $0 tickets).

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

morph147

arenson9 wrote:

morph147 wrote:

You can, but it will be a long, tedious line, eating in to your convention time.Also, note that the badge gets you into the convention center, into the exhibit hall, and into a variety of things, BUT DOES NOT GET YOU INTO SCHEDULED EVENTS. You need to buy tickets for each event (though some things, like panels, are sometimes $0 tickets).

ok i guess i will have to see if i can go or not. would like to because it looks like fun. just the 50 dollar enterance fee is making me hesitant.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

We're also looking for volunteers at the booth! Half your time gets you a badge, a shirt, and time with some pretty neat people. :-)

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Also, Taba, I totally just noticed your sig. I can deal with being "hat guy that is Craig."

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Craig wrote:

Also, Taba, I totally just noticed your sig. I can deal with being "hat guy that is Craig."

You heard about how I remembered Taba's (real) name when I first met him, right? smiley

morph147

Craig wrote:

We're also looking for volunteers at the booth! Half your time gets you a badge, a shirt, and time with some pretty neat people. :-)

would I have to be there whole weekend or just one day. Not sure if I can stay whole time.

Taba
Taba's picture

Rabit wrote:

Craig wrote:

You heard about how I remembered Taba's (real) name when I first met him, right? smiley

It worked amazingly well.  Jeremy's reaction when I actually took off my hat was pretty phenomenal as well.  We were talking to someone about Sentinels at the booth and he said something mind-blowing I hadn't thought of, and I just took off my hat and stared at him like... "Oh my God!".  Jeremy pretty much reciprocated the look, just directed at me.  "So that's what the top of your head looks like!"

As for the hostel, it might be a bit far.  I am trying to get close enough to walk each day.  Taking a cab or a bus is.... less than endearing.

"Hat guy that isn't Craig" - Another Minion
Booth Minion

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

morph147 wrote:
Craig wrote:

would I have to be there whole weekend or just one day. Not sure if I can stay whole time. 

We'd prefer the whole time, or at least close to it.

morph147

Craig wrote:

morph147 wrote:
Craig wrote:

We'd prefer the whole time, or at least close to it.

I really want to but I need to check on logistics before I could even say yes to this. Issue is place to stay since the cheapest place for me to stay would be small drive each day by a couple hours. 

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'd really like to volunteer as a Sidekick again, so hopefully I can get that as my plan, assuming my summer Nashville Film internship doesn't overlap. Here's hoping I can do both!

You're free to do whatever you want to.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Not sure if I'll be able to volunteer for half time, but I'll be around for sure.

Sejixs
Sejixs's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Craig wrote:

When are you guys officially requesting for volunteers (like with a sign-up email)?

Defeateddust and I would both enjoy being volunteers again at this GenCon.

Full-time Scientist, Part-time Artist.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I volunteer to come on Sunday, hangout at the GtG booth, and distract all the other volunteers, so I can finally talk to people.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Sejixs wrote:
Craig wrote:

When are you guys officially requesting for volunteers (like with a sign-up email)?Defeateddust and I would both enjoy being volunteers again at this GenCon.

Why wait? Send me an email.

Sejixs
Sejixs's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Craig wrote:

Sejixs wrote:
Craig wrote:

When are you guys officially requesting for volunteers (like with a sign-up email)?Defeateddust and I would both enjoy being volunteers again at this GenCon.

Why wait? Send me an email. craig@greaterthangames.com

Done. Thanks! laugh

Full-time Scientist, Part-time Artist.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

I volunteer to come on Sunday, hangout at the GtG booth, and distract all the other volunteers, so I can finally talk to people.

Sounds like a wonderful plan! I'll make sure to not have any Sunday shifts.

So I can help you with your task.

laugh

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

Pydro wrote:

Sounds like a wonderful plan! I'll make sure to not have any Sunday shifts. So I can help you with your task.laugh

Alright, if you guys are taking Sunday, I'll plan to distract people on one of the other days.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel