The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Gen Con escape room?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Gen Con escape room?

I'm looking through the Gen Con events and it looks like there are a bunch of escape rooms and other team puzzle-solving events. Anyone interested in getting a group together to do one of these?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I am!

I was investigating recently, and there are something like 7 different escape room organizations in Indianapolis, currently. I don't know how/if they relate to these events.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Some of the event tickets are for offsite events, presumably at local businesses. I was looking at some of the rooms at https://escaperoomindy.com/, since it's pretty close. There also appear to be a few on-site. I'm not sure how immersive they will be vs. escape-room-in-a-box. I might try to do a couple.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

That sounds pretty cool. I'd be down to check some out with some folks here. 

Samwise137
Samwise137's picture
Playtester

I would absolutely consider it. Obviously, it would depend on price and how my feet are feeling at the end of a long day. Hook me up with more information as you find it though!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So, here are a few non-mutually-exclusive options:

1. I have a group doing The Sword of Zaldor on Saturday at 2pm. I have an extra ticket for it (one friend had to back out), which I'll be happy to sell to whoever wants it ($28).
  2. There are a bunch of escape rooms in the Gen Con event search - mostly listed under the Isle of Misfit category. We can try to find an event we like on there, but many of them have sold out (or only have 1-2 tickets available). I would probably shy away from the $88 events, due to cost and time - I think they'd be bussing us to multiple rooms. But the $30ish events are all fair game.
  3. I've been looking at The Escape Room Indianapolis and they seem to have a good selection (I like places that list difficulty levels for the rooms). They're a couple blocks from the convention center. We could just book a room through their website (they appear to have times that aren't available through the Gen Con event system).

So, feel free to weigh in with thoughts. It might be useful to get an idea of what kind of experience people are looking for - we should choose a room with an appropriate difficulty level.

For my part, I've done a handful of escape rooms and various other puzzle-solving activities (e.g. DASH9 and Puzzled Pint). I would probably go for an intermediate or advanced puzzle, depending on the group and scheduling.