The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Gen Con 2015

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Gen Con 2015

So... I'm a little surprised no one beat me to this.

Folks, go look at the Gen Con list of Greater Than Games events for 2015.

Yes, even if you aren't attending.

It's worth it.

I'll wait until you come back.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Sheesh, Rabit. Everyone knows we're running a Sentinel Tactics tournament...

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

RPG1577302
Sentinels of the Multiverse Demo

Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG, 1st Edition

Um ... what the what now?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

SEM1575973
State of Greater Than Games
Friday
11:00 AM
1 hr
$0

Interesting ...

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Craig wrote:

Sheesh, Rabit. Everyone knows we're running a Sentinel Tactics tournament...

Wait, what?

Why am I always the last one to learn these things?!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Julia
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

RPG1577302Sentinels of the Multiverse DemoSentinels of the Multiverse RPG, 1st Edition Um ... what the what now?

That post just summoned me here from the far regions of the interwebs. 

Semper ludens.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Yeah yeah. I've already done my SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!-ing on BGG, I don't have the energy to do it here too!

here

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

The link doesn't work unless you sign up for an account, and since I probably won't ever get to GenCon I'm not doing that.

Any chance of a nice serving of copy-pasta?

Also, what Matchstickman said. My RPG club will be excited about that as well.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

How about image-roni? (The formatting just wasn't going to work...)

Right now, this is all we have. I imagine we'll get more info as we get closer.

EDIT: Just was Craig's official BGG answer of "More news to come probably by early next week!"

Attachment(s): 

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Rabit wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

How about image-roni? (The formatting just wasn't going to work...)Right now, this is all we have. I imagine we'll get more info as we get closer. EDIT: Just was Craig's official BGG answer of "More news to come probably by early next week!"

Great stuff, thanks! :)

Right. So who's paying for me to go to GenCon? ;) :P

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm certainly intrigued.   I just hope it's more fleshed out than Story Wars.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I know an RPG designer who sent a pitch for some unnamed project to GtG in January or so. He's (for now?) publicly disavowing anything to do with this entry, though.

On the off-chance it's simply a matter of him not being able to talk about things until whatever announcement Craig was hinting at next week, the game would be in good hands. I can think of several designers about whom I would say that, but he's the only one I know appeared to be pursuing the idea.

Yes, I'm being really conditional and vague in my phrasing just in case.

aeinhorn

Well, carp. I now feel silly for running two M&M game slots using the Sentinels.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

aeinhorn wrote:

Well, carp. I now feel silly for running two M&M game slots using the Sentinels. 

Hey, no problem. That's a different system, so there's room.

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

Question : If you are helping out do you need to reserve any tickets, I don't know when you will need us, but would like to see some of the things like the state of the game etc...

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

dshields wrote:

Question : If you are helping out do you need to reserve any tickets, I don't know when you will need us, but would like to see some of the things like the state of the game etc...

If you're wanting to get in on one as a volunteer, be sure to get a ticket now. We'll take care of the volunteer schedule later, and you can let me know of other obligations then.

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

Craig wrote:

Thanks will do

dshields wrote:

If you're wanting to get in on one as a volunteer, be sure to get a ticket now. We'll take care of the volunteer schedule later, and you can let me know of other obligations then.

AvalonXQ

I assume each of the two qualifier events will be 16 teams.  So if my two friends and I want to field a team in the qualifier we need to get 3 of the 48 tickets.  Is that correct?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

AvalonXQ wrote:

I assume each of the two qualifier events will be 16 teams.  So if my two friends and I want to field a team in the qualifier we need to get 3 of the 48 tickets.  Is that correct?

Yup! A ticket for each player.

morph147

RPG so wait is this something like dungeons and dragons?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

We know nothing about it. It could be like D&D or it could be more like Apocalypse World, we have no idea other than this is something they are running at GenCon and there might be more information about it next week, that is literally all we know.

morph147

Matchstickman wrote:

We know nothing about it. It could be like D&D or it could be more like Apocalypse World, we have no idea other than this is something they are running at GenCon and there might be more information about it next week, that is literally all we know.

dont know enough about RPGs to know the difference. What I do know is it sounds like the same. Someone is the game master and writes a story and the rest act it out.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

D&D is to RPGs what American Idol is to Television, it's the biggest example that people can bring to mind but there's a hell of a lot more to television/RPGs than just that one thing.

But yeah, an RPG where someone comes up with a villaionous story and the others play the heroes and have to foil the plot sounds likely.

morph147

K.

hopefully them showing villains at ten con is a good sign on when villains will be in stock

AaronR
AaronR's picture

Here is a link to a list of all >G events at Gen Con that you do not need an account to view. I definitely plan on getting some tickets to the demos!

http://gencon.eventdb.us/groupCompany.php?Group=Greater+Than+Games%2C+LLC

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

The SotM RPG tickets are gone, snapped up in the initial frenzy. Just FYI. 

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep. I narrowly missed getting one.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, we had a group of 5 trying to get a session together. That didn't work out so well. sad But it's okay. I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunities to play it in the years to come - assuming the mechanics are the kind we enjoy. wink

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Craig wrote:

It's real, folks.

Oh, the irony. 404 Not found.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

Craig wrote:
It's real, folks.

Oh, the irony. 404 Not found.

And now found.

morph147

I think I am confused on something. So if I pay money to go to gen con, then what do I get to do once I get in? The more I am poking around the more I am getting worried that I have to then get tickets to events and such, even if all I want to do is stop by a booth and try out a game that looks interesting or just play a random game with people.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Personally, I've found that wandering around the exhibitor hall can only hold my attention for so long (lots of people and noise contributes to sensory overload). There are so many things to do that decision fatigue can be a problem as well. Doing a little research and signing up for some interesting-looking games in advance helps me a lot by adding some structure to the weekend; sometimes it's nice to have somewhere to go without having to think about it too much.

defeateddust
defeateddust's picture

morph147 wrote:

I think I am confused on something. So if I pay money to go to gen con, then what do I get to do once I get in? The more I am poking around the more I am getting worried that I have to then get tickets to events and such, even if all I want to do is stop by a booth and try out a game that looks interesting or just play a random game with people.

The dice tower usually does a "What will be at GenCon" Video that breifly goes over many of the publisher who will be there. So you will know which booths you would want to check out first, but wandering the halls is very fun by itself. Also you can hang out with us volunteering at the GTG Booth.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

morph147 wrote:

Buying a badge gets you into the convention hall and, when it's open, into the exhibit hall (which is inside the convention hall). There are many things that require you to not only have a badge, but to also have an event ticket (which usually, but not always costs money -- GTG's state of the company event, for instance, is a $0 ticket). 

Things that require tickets: A vast array of organized games -- board games, RPGs, CCGs, tabletop minis, LARPs, etc, plus a few scattered other things like panels, and various music/theater performances.

Things that don't require tickets: Costume contest, paint and take, demoing games at booths in the exhibit hall, doing the quizzes set up around the convention, finding people to play an informal game on the floor or in a hotel lobby, etc, a room showing movies, and a variety of other small activities.

Getting some generic tickets is a good way to prepare yourself for wandering around looking for something interesting and then being able to sit down and join if the game isn't full.

Researching what's available and getting specific tickets is a good way to make sure you get to do specific things you want to do.

Wandering around with a game you like and inviting strangers to play with you is a good way to make new friends.

morph147

arenson9 wrote:

morph147 wrote:

Buying a badge gets you into the convention hall and, when it's open, into the exhibit hall (which is inside the convention hall). There are many things that require you to not only have a badge, but to also have an event ticket (which usually, but not always costs money -- GTG's state of the company event, for instance, is a $0 ticket). Things that require tickets: A vast array of organized games -- board games, RPGs, CCGs, tabletop minis, LARPs, etc, plus a few scattered other things like panels, and various music/theater performances.Things that don't require tickets: Costume contest, paint and take, demoing games at booths in the exhibit hall, doing the quizzes set up around the convention, finding people to play an informal game on the floor or in a hotel lobby, etc, a room showing movies, and a variety of other small activities.Getting some generic tickets is a good way to prepare yourself for wandering around looking for something interesting and then being able to sit down and join if the game isn't full.Researching what's available and getting specific tickets is a good way to make sure you get to do specific things you want to do.Wandering around with a game you like and inviting strangers to play with you is a good way to make new friends. 

sigh looking right now what things have tickets I am interested in not sure what I want to do. Most stuff I would be curious in is sold out

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I have gone to Gen Con nearly every year since 2002, and even before going for work I have only occasionally signed up for events. There are so many free things to do in the expo hall or other parts of the convention center and nearby hotels that I rarely felt the need.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

morph147

Paul wrote:

I have gone to Gen Con nearly every year since 2002, and even before going for work I have only occasionally signed up for events. There are so many free things to do in the expo hall or other parts of the convention center and nearby hotels that I rarely felt the need.

well that makes me feel a bit better

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

For what it is worth, my pre-GTG Gen Con schedule tended to look like:

Thurs: Wander the expo hall during the day. Stay up super late playing games with friends.

Fri: Visit specific expo hall places I noted on Thurs. Stay up super late playing games with friends.

Sat: Do some events that spontaneously look interesting, possibly watch the costume contest. Stay up super late playing games with friends.

Sun: Do the Paint and Take. Buy things.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Two things of note:

One is the board game library. Having not been at Gen Con proper, I can't swear to whether they have an admit fee for it, but it's impressive. You could easily kill a couple days just working your way through things that you want to try and haven't played yet.

Two is Games on Demand. They've got a table set up someplace, and they'll run RPGs for people as soon as they've got enough folks who want to play a specific system. 

morph147

jffdougan wrote:

Two things of note:One is the board game library. Having not been at Gen Con proper, I can't swear to whether they have an admit fee for it, but it's impressive. You could easily kill a couple days just working your way through things that you want to try and haven't played yet.Two is Games on Demand. They've got a table set up someplace, and they'll run RPGs for people as soon as they've got enough folks who want to play a specific system. 

if I go I can only afford to be there for a day plus work issues, which is why I would more want to wander around and check out the games I am interested in as I go. Oh well I guess if all else fails and I can see a few 5 minute this is how the game works type things, it wIll still be a good day.

Have to see.