The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Galactic Spiff Force

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
Galactic Spiff Force

We played our first GSF game last night. It was mostly a solid success. We fought the Nyotans with a group of whatever heroes seemed coolest to each of us (Claw, Grey Hammer, Vigilance, and the blue elf ship), and because I'd heard how hard the game was, we decided to only start with (H) opposition ships in play rather than 2x(H). That turned out to be a good choice because, even though it was easier than the rules intend, we had more head space to focus on learning the game rather than getting roflstomped by the bad guys without having any idea how to stop it. We also ended up playing without Mission cards that first game, not by choice, but just because there was so much going on that we were already a ways into the game before we realized we'd missed including them. That turned out to be one less thing we had to keep track of too, so I think it was a good thing. 

As for all the bookkeeping and TRIBA checking, it is prodigious, and I was really glad I had my 3D tokens, because all we had to do was scan the table for icons poking up off the cards that matched the current phase. If I'd had to crane my neck to examine the text of each card on the table each time we needed to check, I don't think I'd have been amused.

We had periods of confusion but mostly managed them. I thought I'd heard that player's decks were to be face-up, but I couldn't find that in the rules so each player ended up doing it however they wanted (which was a little lame of us). And the rules say that when setting up the game, you put 5 Station Cards in each Sector spot then set the rest aside, but when you need to refill a stack of Station Cards, you do that from the Station scrap. Is that pile of cards you were told to set aside the Station scrap? The rules never say, but a diagram seemed to indicate that it is, and you wouldn't ever be able to refill anything if it wasn't, so we figured it out. 

We also couldn't decide whether a Station card which flips and is a ship is an Opposition ship, since it didn't come from the Opposition deck, but we eventually decided it was, and from answers to other people's posts who had the same question, it looks like we ended up playing it correctly.

So, a little more confusing than I'd have liked, but purposely keeping our first game's difficulty low ended up being the right move, and we had a good time. The minis are being primed as we speak, so we'll see how painting goes. It'll be sweet to have little painted guys to move around the galaxy next time.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Glad you had a good time. I believe you will not be alone in groups that house rule things to ease into the real difficulty. As a matter of fact, I wish we had when my group played last weekend. I fear one of our members may have decided prematurely that it isn't for her because of the difficulty.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

One other thing which seemed odd from our first game - at the end, you may discard as many cards as you want then refill your hand to four, but you don't actually have to discard down to four if you've got more, right? If you have more than four cards and you want to take them all to the next round's Requisition phase, you can do that, yes? We had players who were walking into the R phase with 150 credits or more because they were sandbagging cards. 

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Spiff wrote:

I thought I'd heard that player's decks were to be face-up, but I couldn't find that in the rules so each player ended up doing it however they wanted (which was a little lame of us).

Page 6 in the rulebook, first bullet point:

Each player picks a Strike Force Ship and puts its Ship Panel (active side up) and Ship Marker in front of them and the Strike Force Deck to the side (face up).

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I don't know if we'll end up playing that way. A few of us tried it and it was pretty weird. Maybe too weird.