The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

FYI: PMs don't always send an email

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
FYI: PMs don't always send an email

Just want to give a heads up to everyone. When you PM someone, it doesn't always send an email. So you might want to check if you have a message every now and then.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

It's been 100% every time I've gotten a PM.  Are there specific conditions under which it doesn't happen?  Or maybe it's just your email--your provider might treat them as spam.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I get emails, however, several people I have PMed didn't.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Without anything changing that I know of there was a week where I didn't get emails when someone sent me a PM and after that week it worked again.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sometimes I get emails; sometimes I don't. They don't go to spam. No pattern that I've been able to discover.

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

I'm in the same situation as Grysqrl!

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

(Sometimes) vowelless?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

They haven't been working since at least March of last year, (that's when I conversed with CaunJoel about it) and I'm absolutely certain it was not functioning much longer than that.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:
They haven't been working since at least March of last year, (that's when I conversed with CaunJoel about it) and I'm absolutely certain it was not functioning much longer than that.
I have definitely gotten many e-mails about PMs more recently than that, throughout all of last fall. I'm not aware of missing any messages in that time.

Is it perhaps an e-mail spam-blocking thing? For instance, did the >G servers end up on some blacklist? That would cause messages to silently disappear without showing up in a spam folder.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

That's possible. I stopped getting them at my main email address, so I changed it to send them to a gmail-based address. But then that stopped working too.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Hopefully the new website will handle notifications better. I'm sure that's one of the many reasons to switch over to a new system.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!