The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Four questions about the DrurSkjyld Converter

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trscroggs
Four questions about the DrurSkjyld Converter

Happy Thoughts wrote:

1. Bjarlspire has a card called DrurSkjyld Converter which is a tech card that, each battle phase, says, "Make the Ship Panel's [weaponry] equal to half of its Ship Panel's [defense], rounded down." The question here is, is that a virtual calculation that overrides the actual tokens, or do the physical tokens get adjusted to match the calculation from the card's text (presumably even if the actual installed weaponry is a higher value)? Sub-question: Is this a permanent modification to the ship's weaponry value, or one that just lasts for the current battle phase?

In addition to the question above, does the DrurSkjyld Converter just generate this effect once, or is it something that updates itself as play continues?

If the answer to my question above is "yes it continues to adjust" then I have a few questions to this question as well.  I think couple of scenarios will explain what I want to know better.

1.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  Later thanks to some boosts the shields get to 8.  Does the attack then go to 4?  And if so, during what phase is that adjustment made?

2.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  During a unfortunate fight it loses 2 shields.  Does the attack go down to 2?  And if so is this evaluated before or after finishing the attack?

3.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  Later a boost gives Bjarlspire an additional attack token on the main card, giving a total of 4.  Does the  DrurSkjyld Converter then reduce this total back down to 3 because that is half the shields?

4.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  During a fight it gets a secondary boost increasing its defense to 8 for that fight only.  Does the attack value get adjusted as well, and does it revert back at the end of the fight?

5.  Bjarlspire's on panel [Weaponry] is a 4 while thier defense is still a 6.  If DrurSkjyld Converter is played what happens to their defense?

----------
Life needs save points, and a clearer skill system.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Trscroggs wrote:

Happy Thoughts wrote:
1. Bjarlspire has a card called DrurSkjyld Converter which is a tech card that, each battle phase, says, "Make the Ship Panel's [weaponry] equal to half of its Ship Panel's [defense], rounded down." The question here is, is that a virtual calculation that overrides the actual tokens, or do the physical tokens get adjusted to match the calculation from the card's text (presumably even if the actual installed weaponry is a higher value)? Sub-question: Is this a permanent modification to the ship's weaponry value, or one that just lasts for the current battle phase?

Actually I have a few questions to this question as well.  I think couple of scenarios will explain what I want to know better.

1.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  Later thanks to some boosts the shields get to 8.  Does the attack then go to 4?  And if so, during what phase is that adjustment made?

2.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  During a unfortunate fight it loses 2 shields.  Does the attack go down to 2?  And if so is this evaluated before or after finishing the attack?

3.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  Later a boost gives Bjarlspire an additional attack token on the main card, giving a total of 4.  Does the  DrurSkjyld Converter then reduce this total back down to 3 because that is half the shields?

4.  DrurSkjyld Converter is played and [defense] is 6, giving them an [weaponry] value of 3.  During a fight it gets a secondary boost increasing its defense to 8 for that fight only.  Does the attack value get adjusted as well, and does it revert back at the end of the fight?

1. Converter only converts shields from you Ship Panel, not your total defense value. Just clearing that up now. Generally though you are correct, if you had 8 shields on your ship panel, your weaponry on your panel would change to 4. But this conversion only happens during the Icon activation of the Battle Phase and works just like every other effect with a phase symbol in the game

2. Converter only converts during the Icon activation of the Battle Phase. Damage Calculation has nothing to do with DrurSkjyld

3. If you had 4 weaponry on your ship panel while activating Battle Icons and a defense of 6, yes your weaponry on your panel would be lowered to 3.

4. Again, this ability only activates during the Icon activation phase, just like every other Icon ability in the game. Converter is no exception.

Does that help any? Again, the card only deals with energy on your ship panel and *not* from any techs. And its an Icon activation, meaning it triggers once at the start of every battle phase with the other icons. After that, any change is permanent until the next time the ability triggers.

Trscroggs

Could you opt not to trigger it?  Or once it is installed it will automatically go off at the start of every battle phase?

----------
Life needs save points, and a clearer skill system.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It doesn't say "may" so I assume you have no choice. This is part of why Bjarl is a complex character to play.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

The conversion is not optional.

There are some very interesting ways to play and build Spire because of how Converter works. He is the most layered and nuanced SF ship in my opinion.

FrostMist
FrostMist's picture
Playtester

Quick question that came up when we played - does attack tech still count? As in, if you have the DrurSkjyld Converter in play and some tech that gives +1 attack, and your base defence is 6 - do you get 3 or 4 attack total?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It says it only changes the ships panel. So shield tech doesn't increase it, but weapon tech would as long as it doesn't add to the ship panel's weaponry total.

So Apt Countermeasures would increase the panel's shields and hence, eventually, the panel's wepaonry via DrurSkjyld Converter, as it increases the ship panel's shields, but DuraCycling Plating wouldn't. Likewise, Master Crafters could add to the ship panel's weaponry, but it would be overwritten by the Converter. If you'd installed the Colossal Pulse Cannon, however, this would be unaffected as it's not on the ship's panel.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%