The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Forum Bug: Inconsistent Counts of New Items?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture
Forum Bug: Inconsistent Counts of New Items?

I'm seeing at least two places where I have unread messages and can't find anything new.

1) The "Sentinels of the Multiverse" game forum has said it's had 1 new message more than the actual count of new messages for the last week; can confirm that the "new/active posts" section does not show any new messages, but the front page claims there's at least 1.

2) When I load up my private messages, the page title says "Messages (1 new)", even though my inbox is empty.

Thought I'd check and see if this is affecting anyone else.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Only issue I've noticed a lot is that editing a post doesn't always reflect to everyone.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I had the issue of seeing "Messages (1 new)", but it's gone away.  It must have figured out I didn't actually have any new messages somehow.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I am pretty certain that if someone moves a topic from one sub-forum to another that the original still gets tagged with new activity when the thread is posted in.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

That would make sense, especially if it's somehow keeping track per board of the number of new threads and not reducing that number when a post moves boards. Then, there's no post to mark as read, so the count can't go down.

For a span of like 5 minutes today, I was seeing the same thing on this board after reading Powerhound's response, but it's cleared itself up. Weird.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sometimes when I wee a new message, i will go through the pages of the forums and something back there says it has a new message. I click on it, and it is gone. Strange.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, I get that pretty frequently, also.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

The only thing I don't get is when a thread shows up on the newly updated list as being updated, but has no new posts. :B

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

TakeWalker, in your case, does it usually jump to a post in the middle of a thread?

I know when someone edits a post, it marks it as new and makes it the first thing you click on "X new posts". (Which can be weird if someone posts a new message after that, or if multiple people edit their posts in a thread). And with the forum bug where edits aren't always showing up for everyone, that probably makes that case even more confusing.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

The only link I'll have in those cases is the thread title, which goes to the first post in the thread, so no. :B

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

I am pretty certain that if someone moves a topic from one sub-forum to another that the original still gets tagged with new activity when the thread is posted in.

Yep definitely this.

The Sentinels Statistics Project has triggered it the past couple of days.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What I find hilarious is that this thread keeps popping up for me with new posts, but when I go to check it there isn't anything...

Seems appropriate.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Damn. Now thanks to your post Rabit, my name wont always be appearing and making me wonder what insightful thing I have written without knowing about it.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Yeah, been half-tempted to suggest we archive the Sentinels Statistic Project post and post a new one, given its recent surge in activity. :)

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bobbertoriley wrote:

Yeah, been half-tempted to suggest we archive the Sentinels Statistic Project post and post a new one, given its recent surge in activity. :)

I wouldn't be against that, since I think I still can't edit?

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Technically, you can edit, it's just questionable as to if someone else can see what you've edited... frown