The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Fission Blaster(range)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bisbeaar
Fission Blaster(range)

So I'm sure this is a simple question. Me and my group have been debating after ecentley playing this game for the first time.

The question is if range affects Fission Blaster. The wording on the cards seems to coutner the ruling of range in the book. Because if they furthest you could attack with as blade is 6 range the (x-Dice) seems almsot stupid and the only real way to use it would be to atatck from 6 range with aim.

Clarification on the use of Fission Blaster with Range would be much appriciated.

Tried to find this info elsewhere but couldnt find anythign on it.

Thanks First time poster here.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

You can attack from any range.  The number of dice increase as range increases.  You can go for a 6 die attack at range 6 (aimed), but if you roll no 6's, everything misses.  If you swapped into it, you can add a +1 attack die from the swap for 7 dice instead.  It is a semi-risky, but very rewarding maneuver. 

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome! laugh

It does take range into account, so:

• Range 1 - 1 die, any value is a success
  • Range 2 - 2 die, any value above 1 is a success (1s don't make range)
  • Range 3 - 3 die, any value above 2 is a success (2s don't make range)
  • Range 4 - 4 die, any value above 3 is a success (3s don't make range)
  • Range 5 - 5 die, any value above 4 is a success (4s don't make range)
  • Range 6 - 6 die, any value above 5 is a success (5s don't make range)

While it shines with Aim, it's still a decent power at 3 and 4, you just have to decide if it's worth it. Also - obviously - having attack +1s helps... wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Just imagine if some other character could give Blade reach. 

Let's say Blade had reach +4, somehow, and is ten hexes away from the target, on the same elevation, with LoS. How many dice does Blade get to roll for Fission Blaster? Six? Ten?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I actually almost included a comment that this card alone will likely be why no character will ever give another character Reach... cool

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

However, Legacy + Baron Blade is a pretty awesome combo, since Legacy hands out Attack +1 tokens like candy, and as long as you get at least one 6 on an aimed roll, that's an awesome amount of damage. No Automisses is fantastic.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Bisbeaar

Thanks for the help. Me and my friends usually end up takign the cards to literally.

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Fission Blaster does in fact have an automiss, though.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, 1, I guess, but that's still pretty strong, considering that 1 is practically useless unless you aim, anyway.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector