The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

"First time each turn" timing for Equipment/Ongoings that just came into play

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
"First time each turn" timing for Equipment/Ongoings that just came into play

I've tried searching the forums but can't quite find an exact answer.  This would impact items like Amulet of the Elder Gods, Combat Stance, or Driving Mantis.  What I'm trying to figure out is what happens if you take damage in a turn, play one of those cards, and then take damage again does this allow to use that reaction from those cards.   The easiest scenario to setup would be Omnitron with Interpolation Beam and Wraith with Impromptu Invention and Combat Stance in hand.   So Wraith plays Impromptu Invention, takes damage from card drawing due to Interpolation Beam, and then for the extra card play puts Combat Stance in play.  The Wraith draws a card at end of turn and take damage due to Interpolation Beam.  Should Wraith be able to deal damage to Omnitron due to Combat Stance?   It is mostly a question of whether the card cares only about what happens after it enters play for "first time" or if it looks back at the whole turn it came into play for "first time".

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

I am pretty confident it only activates after it is in play, from my experiences with the video game.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Powerhound_2000

Combat Stance does not follow that in the app but the others do which is what started this question.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

They actually do look back on the current turn. I don't think that the redirection is currently working correctly in the game (unless it was added in a recent update), so they able to make a redirection even if they have taken damage that round.

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

Huh. Weird. I never remember something going retroactive to its existence coming up. I'll have to try to produce that to see.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Powerhound_2000

Personally I think it should only care about when it came into play. 

Edit: I think they should work like Rooftop Combat and Omnitron's components which only care about what has happened since they came into play and not before it.  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

This thread is pretty clear on tracking backwards, the linked post being the best summation.

Also this from the fireside chats:

Driving Mantis only activates once per turn. What this means is that you only get one chance to say yes/no to redirecting damage to Mr. Fixer. For example, if Mr. Fixer will take 2 instances of damage in a turn, you cannot say NO to the first damage and YES to the second damage, as you have already missed your chance. Answering yes/no to the question uses it up. However, if you have a choice between Driving Mantis and Wrest The Mind, and you choose Wrest The Mind and redirect the damage, then Driving Mantis was never "asked" to be used, so it can still be used that turn.

​They don't track backward, unless they are counting something, Combat Stance is not counting.

When Wraith takes the second damage you "check" Combat Stance to see if it has triggered that turn, if it hasn't, then it triggers.

Powerhound_2000

A part of why I brought this is up is from a thread started in Mega Computer (Alpha testing for the video game) and the response Handelabra got was that it looks back on the whole turn to determine "first time each turn".   I tried email Christopher to see if it should track from when it entered play as I thought it should but haven't gotten a response. 

Thanks for finding that link Phantaskippy I thought something was out there on this.