The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

First Glimmer of Game Coolness

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amnachaidh
Playtester
First Glimmer of Game Coolness

Do you remember the first time in SotM when you saw the cards unlock a secret combo for you? Something along the lines of the Visionary/Absolute Zero twisting of ethers comes to mind.  In my third game of GSF, I had that happen.

We were playing Uxshenti’s Wrath (UW), Conclave, Claw, and Vigilance Vs. the Singularity and getting our whatevers handed to us. Ships unengaged seemed to uniformly summon more ships. The player of Uxshenti’s Wrath was keeping the deck small, luckily, and was able to use “Goaded Pursuit” to concentrate most of the Op. Ships into a single sector – completely overrun, but it was better than losing more sectors.

During the Aftermath phase, after the starting mission card “All Become One” had moved, all other “A” actions had happened, the and “Opposition Flip Cards” event had occurred, UW played their other “Goaded Pursuit” to move all the other ships to another sector to be overrun. This denied the Omega Mothership the extra energy from the overcharged Alpha Primes.

This made all the difference plus a bunch. We ended the game with two overrun sectors, about 3 times more opposing ships than GSF ships, and a dead mothership.

Is Singularity made up of Omnitron? I think so. The symbol for the Singularity looks a lot like Omnitron’s with some extra circuit stuff imposed. This keeps with the fluff of “two automated deep space drones…(that) assimilated each other to become something far worse”.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

The story arc where Omnitron assimilates Omnitron-X to becomes Omnitron 4 (presumably) is called "Singularity"

A Wrath player with a small deck and an OCS Waypoint plotter can endlessly loop through her deck while moving and re-positioning every other ship on the table. She is devestatingly powerfull when built this way as you can take the threat of an overrun loss totally off the table. I always thought Sensor Array should have been limited to the first time you move each phase, but thats not how the card ended up. Wrath is the Legacy of the base set SF ships.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Where did you get that information Foote about Omnitron?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

What information? If you mean the Singularity, thats just what I put together from the card art, flavor text, and general speculation/story knowledge