The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Fireside chat update: Season 2 Preview Pack

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
MigrantP
MigrantP's picture
Fireside chat update: Season 2 Preview Pack

Christopher has approved the latest round of Fireside chats. Enjoy!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

There really needs to be a picture of Christopher holding a book in a huge chair sitting in front of an open fireplace to attach to that thread.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

So the Prime Warden Cosmic infinite loop instant win is still considered fair and legal after talking it over? I'm really having a difficult time understanding the rational behind allowing this to continue even after aproval from Christopher. For reference, every single other instance of an infinite loop that has ever been found since the games initial creation has been overruled or changed to make it impossible to do. What exactly is the rational behind allowing this one and not any of the others ever found? I'm sure it must have been talked about after the other recent thread mentioned this right?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

As I said in that thread and elsewhere, we are going to discuss it again with Christopher.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Sorry, I had wrongly assumed that conversation had already taken place since this was posted. My fault.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The Fireside chats are a compilation of issues that came up during testing, and aren't always discussed at the same time. It is just posted as one post with everything after that part of the game has been released.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:
For reference, every single other instance of an infinite loop that has ever been found since the games initial creation has been overruled or changed to make it impossible to do. What exactly is the rational behind allowing this one and not any of the others ever found?
Not every other instance.  For instance, Absolute Zero with Twist the Ether or Imbued Fire can still do infinite damage when Fixed Point is in play, as near as I can tell.  But every other instance that can be initiated without a specific, nonpermanent villain or environment card in play has been clarified to not work.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

MindWanderer wrote:
Foote wrote:
For reference, every single other instance of an infinite loop that has ever been found since the games initial creation has been overruled or changed to make it impossible to do. What exactly is the rational behind allowing this one and not any of the others ever found?

Not every other instance.  For instance, Absolute Zero with Twist the Ether or Imbued Fire can still do infinite damage when Fixed Point is in play, as near as I can tell.  But every other instance that can be initiated without a specific, nonpermanent villain or environment card in play has been clarified to not work.

Fix Point's entire purpose for existing is to create crazy situations that would otherwise not be possible by the normal rules of the game. I think it would be fair to consider any Fix Point shenanigans exceptions to any conventional norm. Thats my take on it.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

See also, Guise.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'm sad we cannot "Guise of Knowledge" anymore. :C

Thank you, MigrantP, for keeping all this stuff compiled and updated for us!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Foote wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:
Foote wrote:

Fix Point's entire purpose for existing is to create crazy situations that would otherwise not be possible by the normal rules of the game. I think it would be fair to consider any Fix Point shenanigans exceptions to any conventional norm. Thats my take on it.

Also, eliminating the Isothermic Transducer/Fixed Point loop would require major errata on at least one of the cards involved.  There is no amount of rules bending that can fix that loop.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:
I'm sad we cannot "Guise of Knowledge" anymore. :CThank you, MigrantP, for keeping all this stuff compiled and updated for us!
I generally don't go for house rules, but at my table, if Guise's player wants to use Haka of Knowledge to discard Guise the Barbarian, I am absolutely going to let them anyway.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Seriously, it is hilarious, and thus should be legal.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Also, he's only got 2 of them, so it's something you should really consider before doing, anyway.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I also want to thank MigrantP for posting these here on the forums.

I was especially happy to see an official answer for Jack Handle shenanigans. Those might have been elsewhere on the various threads, but I'd never seen an official response before to my knowledge.

And yeah, if any one wanted to, I'd totally let them Guise of Knowledge the Barbarian.