The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Field Medic

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greonhal
Playtester
Field Medic

Alright, I'm stumped. I've looked through all the hero decks from the core set, and I'm not sure how anyone can heal 5 HP to a single teammate in one turn. The closest I can come up with is Tempest having both Cleansing Downpours out and Embolden on him, allowing him to use CD twice, healing everyone 4. Can someone who has gotten it please explain how?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Only with the help of environment cards is that story challenge currently possible.

You're looking for the Phosphorescent Chamber from the Ruins of Atlantis in play while being able to use 2 healing powers.

Some of the challenges appear to be something you stumble across rather than something you can aim for with skillful play (although Visionary would help with this one)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Tempest and Absolute Zero. Have Tempest with his equipment on that can change his damage type to cold and use lighting slash on Absolute Zero, thus five points of health restored. That's the way I did it.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I stand corrected!

Thinking on it with Absolute Zero and Visionary in your team anyone who can do 4 points of damage to a target can heal Zero for 5 with Twist the Ether on them

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I guess if you really want to go the Visionary route, but don't people abuse her powers too much. I'm sure she is getting pretty worn out and needs a little break once and awhile.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Thinking on it does hitting Absolute Zero with cold count as healing a teammate? You are not using a power that heals him, you are inflicting damage, he heals himself, not you.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

It states "When Absolute Zero would take cold damage, regain that many HP instead" so all Absolute Zero is changing it from damage to healing, but the other character is still performing the power.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Right.
And the 'attacking' character's power says "Do X Damage", not "Heal x damage", the healing comes from Absolute Zero, not from the character using the power/card.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I would consider Absolute Zero changing the type of "cold damage" to "healing" much like Twist of Ether would do with characters changing the types of damages. It isn't changing the hero's powers to where Visionary is doing the damage, it is just converting the damage to something else. Now if Absolute Zero was healing himself because of it it would probably be worded more like "When Absolute Zero would take cold damage, Absolute Zero heals himself that much HP instead" or something along those lines. The source of the power still comes from the original source not from Absolute Zero. Would be nice if a creator would chime in any minute now...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Meh, no need for a creator here I think, just fun to argue an opposing point of view; twisting viewpoints is as close I will ever get to Twisting the Ether!

To counter your excellent point I would point to the wording on the Null-Point Callibration Unit itself
"When Absolute Zero would take cold damage, regain that many HP instead"
You must be taking damage in order for this effect to kick in.

If Absolute Zero is changing the wording on the card from "inflict x Cold damage" to "regain x HP" would smoke bombs ever trigger on this type of attack if he was lowest HP? Or does the change occur after the 'decision' of whom to hit? Or would it have to account for order of play?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh I see, big time debater, alrighty i'm cool with that then.

Hmm... That is actually got me a bit stumped. Due to the fact that Smoke Bombs redirects the attack if the Hero with the lowest would take damage, since there isn't actually any damage that would be done to Absolute Zero it would not be triggered and things would carry on as normal.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:
If Absolute Zero is changing the wording on the card from "inflict x Cold damage" to "regain x HP" would smoke bombs ever trigger on this type of attack if he was lowest HP? Or does the change occur after the 'decision' of whom to hit? Or would it have to account for order of play?

I don't believe this has been conclusively determined, but my intuition is that type of damage is determined before redirection:

1) Determine Initial target
2) Determine initial type of damage
3) Determine any global changes to type or amount of damage
4) Determine any initial target-specific changes to type or amount of damage
5) Determine any redirection and, if so, the final/next target
6) Remove any initial target-specific changes to type or amount of damage
7) Determine any final/next target-specific changes to type or amount of damage.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

For what it is worth, there is a character in Infernal Relics who can *certainly* pull this one off.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

IKerensky

I'd agree the Healing challenges are not possible in Basic Set. Or very circonstancial (Tempest x2 in Atlantis).

And Tempest hitting on AZ so AZ can trigger his power and his equipment is not Tempest healing AZ, it's AZ healing himself with the help of a teammate damage. IF AZ use the Fire Damage dealt to him by Ra to produce Cold and use it to damage an opponent, it will still be AZ that would be credited by the damage, not Ra. Here it is the same deal, AZ equipment are doing the healing, not Tempest.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

They are entirely possible. We have done them all.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Paul wrote:

For what it is worth, there is a character in Infernal Relics who can *certainly* pull this one off.

I once healed ~16 points in one turn with my new favorite character: Nightmist. 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Sure, but I think Field Medic requires you to heal others.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

UXM266
UXM266's picture

broccoli wrote:

You might be absolutely right.

Though, one of her cards still does can heal any hero (target?)  (put trash into library. 1 lfe per 2 cards). Works on any hero. I did it to myself though.....

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

UXM266 wrote:
broccoli wrote:

You might be absolutely right.Though, one of her cards still does can heal any hero (target?)  (put trash into library. 1 lfe per 2 cards). Works on any hero. I did it to myself though.....  

Think the card your thinking of only heals NightMist, but can select any hero's deck.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Koga wrote:

UXM266 wrote:
broccoli wrote:

You might be absolutely right.Though, one of her cards still does can heal any hero (target?)  (put trash into library. 1 lfe per 2 cards). Works on any hero. I did it to myself though.....  

Think the card your thinking of only heals NightMist, but can select any hero's deck.

I only used it on Nightmist for Nightmist. I got to check it out. Thanks for the clarification! Y'all rock!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ahh yeah, Mist-Fuelled recovery. You can indeed shuffle any hero's deck into their trash, but only Nightmist recovers the hp. So of course, you'd want to choose the hero who's got the biggest trash pile, as long as they don't mind (eg probably best not to do it to Tachyon when she's been saving up for a Lightspeed Barrage ;)).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:

Sooooooooo... which of the 2 heroes is it? I have had very limited exposure to IR (First game with it last night!) and didn't see anyone with huge teammate healing potential, even looking through the decks I didn't see any high healing cards.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, the Argent Adept can heal, but the song that lets you do so I think heals up to five heroes for only 1hp. He has a one-shot which also heals all heroes for 1hp.

Nightmist, however, is my favourite character for a reason :D. She has two methods of healing herself (but only herself, not other people). Firstly, it's important to note that all of her cards have a value between one and four, given in a small box in the bottom right corner of each card. This is important for using pretty much all of her cards/abilities. Her first method of healing involves one of her Relics (equipment), the Starshield Necklace. With this equipped, at the end of her turn ("End phase") you can discard one card in order to regain that card's value in hp. Her second method of healing is the very amazing Ongoing card (limited, so you can only have one out at once...she only has two in her deck anyway) "Master of Magic". With this, every time you play a "Spell" card, you regain that card's value in hp. Nightmist has four Relics, three Ongoings, and I think only one normal One-Shot. All the rest are "One-Shot, Spell". So you have a lot of healing cards right there ;).

It's sort of important, as a lot of her abilities involve dealing herself damage - her innate power is "Nightmist deals herself two damage. Draw two cards", and there's also a Relic (the Elder Ring) which increases her damage by one. So she'd be hitting herself for three just with her innate power. A lot of her cards say stuff like "Reveal the top card of your deck. Nightmist deals herself and one other target that much damage". But you have the Amulet of the Elder Gods (another relic) which is pretty epic. The first time you'd take damage every turn you can discard two cards to redirect it to a target of your choice. One of Nightmist's spell cards is called Oblivion. With this one, you reveal the top two cards of your deck. First, every target takes damage equal to one of those cards' values (your choice), so of course it's better to choose the lower value one so you don't hurt your friends too much. Elder Ring will of course increase this damage by one. And if you've got your Amulet out you can discard two cards to redirect the damage that would hit you and instead hit one of the enemies twice (because the enemy would already be taking a hit anyway). Then you look at the other card you revealed and do that much damage to all non-hero targets. So if you redirected your damage the first time, some poor mob is gonna get hit three times, for anywhere between one and five (depending on whether or not you have the Elder Ring out) a hit. And that's just one card :D.

Anyway, I've never lost a game when I've played Nightmist. And I usually have at least 15hp (out of 27) left at the end. I can remember on one occasion getting as low as about 5hp but healing it all back (to full) by the end of the fight (and winning) :D. Nightmist also has really good deck control - Astral Premonition (Ongoing) which lets you discard a card to look at the top two cards of a deck (any deck, not just the villain) and put one on the top and one on the bottom, and then there's Mistbound, which is a One-Shot Spell. All you do when you play it (after healing if you've got Master of Magic out ;)) is discard two cards. Then choose any deck you like and that deck can't play cards till your next turn. Take that, Matriarch/Chairman/anyone else who draws horrible cards >:).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)