The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Extrasode #7 : Casting the voices of the Sentinel Comics

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Extrasode #7 : Casting the voices of the Sentinel Comics

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I highly favor that switch to Weird Al for Green Grosser.

Y'know, I'd been considering skipping this one, because I was afraid it was going to be a list of millennial actors I've never heard of, but it sounds like Christopher is as bad at knowing actors as I am? And while I don't know half the people on the list even after looking them up on IMDB, there are quite a few that I do know, and I had fun listening to this one. :D

And of course, now I'm really excited to see what comes after the Extrasodes now...

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Sadly nothing.   You’ll hear in the Editor’s Note what the plans are.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

I called James Hong as soon as they said Zhu Long. Because yes, once you've played Lo Pan you are the go-to for every other "Not Fu Manchu, Really" role. I know, it's a bit of Central Casting stereotyping; but Zhu Long (like most other NFMRs) exists as a post-hoc metacommentary on that exact role anyway...and I think I've disappeared in a Klein Bottle of metacommentary now.

Keith David is inspired casting for OblivAeon.

One aspect of voice casting as opposed to live-action casting is that it is a different skillset, and there are reasons that there are "regulars" in that industry too, who are distinct. (The How Stuff Works network of podcasts did a dozen episodes this past summer about animation, called "Drawn"; their episode on voice acting was fascinating.) Tara Strong, Maurice LaMarche, Rob Paulsen..there are reasons their names keep popping up. So yeah, if we assume the Metaverse that has Sentinel Comics as the major comis industry, then their names would show up there as well. (Whoops, there's that Klein Bottle again.)

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

for reference i asked about Frank Welker playing Absolute Zero because he played Ice Man on Spider-Man and his amazing friends. The Reva-Corp neutralizer looks like Ray Stanz from real ghostnbuster who he also voiced

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh man, and Lorenzo Music for the Restrainer. ;_; Like, I don't think they would be in more than one episode of the cartoon, but c'mon.

Blackfang108
Playtester

I'm only partway through this, but I love the idea of casting Jensen Ackles as Tyler Vance, IF you can fit it around Supernatural.  (Maybe that show only had one season in the Metaverse)

I was thinking of Erica Mendez for Wraith, myself. 

Escher

I'm mildly annoyed that the monkeys aren't called the  Simians  of the Monkeyverse.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Did anybody collect together the list somewhere?

Also, if Willem DeFoe is Omnitron, is he also Omnitron-X? 

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Trajector wrote:

Did anybody collect together the list somewhere?

Also, if Willem DeFoe is Omnitron, is he also Omnitron-X? 

There's a list already in the show notes.

If you want a list annotated with voice sample clips for everyone, there's WalkingTarget's summary on the wiki: https://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Podcasts/Episode_X-7#tab=Quick...

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Voice samples? What a great idea! So many of those names I've just never encountered before...

Good on you, WalkingTarget! :D

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Ah, cool. My app doesn't always show all the show notes content. I also finished listening to the episode and got the answer to my Omnitron question.

Someone I kept wanting to use was Wayne Pygram - maybe for OblivAeon, actually, though off chance he could work for Baron Blade.

Patrick Warburton seems strange for Mainstay. Partly I think this is because he often plays kinda dumb characters. But also, partly I think it's because every time I see Mainstay character art, Z Z Top's "The Grange" starts playing in my head.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I found it interesting they went with Billy Boyd for Argent; a tenor I was expecting yes, but a more bombastic one. Gives the statement that their conception of Argent is as a softer, more ethereal-voiced guy trying to project as bigger than he really is, rather than being someone who already is that over-the-top.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah, oh boy, that scene gives me chills. It was a treat going through all those clips, though. Pretty much every one, you listen to it and go, yeah, I see why they picked that one.

Though I will note, the Rufio clip was used for Wager Master. :B Dunno what was supposed to be there instead.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

Ah, cool. My app doesn't always show all the show notes content. I also finished listening to the episode and got the answer to my Omnitron question.

Someone I kept wanting to use was Wayne Pygram - maybe for OblivAeon, actually, though off chance he could work for Baron Blade.

Patrick Warburton sends strange for Mainstay. Partly I think this is because he often plays kinda dumb characters. But also, partly I think it's because every time I see Mainstay character art, Z Z Top's "The Grange" starts playing in my head.

It's "La Grange."  It's named after a town in Texas.

And, as much as I love Patrick Warburton, I have to agree. 

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

Though I will note, the Rufio clip was used for Wager Master. :B Dunno what was supposed to be there instead.

Whoops. That would be a copy/paste error. It was supposed to be this one for some interplay with the Guise voice. Edit to the wiki incoming.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Thanks, Blackfang.

I suppose, in fairness, "La Grange" isn't the only song that plays in my head when I look at Mainstay's cards. "Highway to Hell" and "Ballroom Blitz" also feature prominently. None of this really screams Kronk, though, in any case!

Blackfang108
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

Thanks, Blackfang.

I suppose, in fairness, "La Grange" isn't the only song that plays in my head when I look at Mainstay's cards. "Highway to Hell" and "Ballroom Blitz" also feature prominently. None of this really screams Kronk, though, in any case!

Or The Tick, for that matter.

(I also get Renegade by Hammerfall on a couple of his cards)

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

I kind of figured that Brock Sampson was the main reason to have chosen him as the voice, which is why I used a Venture Bros. clip for his sample.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Blackfang108 wrote:

(I also get Renegade by Hammerfall on a couple of his cards)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a musical reaction to Mainstay!

The Girl With N...

Jeffrey Combs as Writhe?

...Perfect.