The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Extrasode #2 - The Food Podcast

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture
Extrasode #2 - The Food Podcast

Hoo boy. I didn't get through more than 10 minutes of this.

We were discussing it in the Discord, and, well. I'd have probably listened to an hour of Christopher and Adam talking about food if they'd done it as themselves, with the same kind of energy and enthusiasm and fun that they bring to The Letters Page. I think that's what we were expecting -- extended versions of the genuinely funny and interesting foody non-sequiturs that they go into during TLP.

I couldn't take more than 10 minutes of Chef Adam and Chef Christopher droning on in sleepy tones about ... honestly I don't remember any of those 10 minutes because I zoned out for 9 and a half of them. I think they mentioned pasta?

C+A, I do applaud you for trying something new and weird and experimenty. It's far easier to stay in the lane and not branch out, so you should be applauded for doing so.

But ... oy. This just didn't do it for me.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Not to worry! We are glad that we gave it a shot, but we're definitely not returning to this format. Just a weird experiment.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hankroyd

I listened until the gnocchi (20mn)

There is one thing I really enjoyed : The voices: so soothing, so relaxing.

But yeah, I misunderstood the whole topics: I though it would be a food 'SotM podcast'. Something non sensical and funny about which type of food Legacy enjoy, if coffee can make Tachyon even goes faster, does the Naturalist counts as a cannibal if he eats gazelle ... That sort of things.

And yeah, my interest in pasta in pretty non existent as long as I can eat them, and if there is cooking jokes, my knowledge is way too limited to understand them.

Out of curiosity : Pumpkin with Pasta ... Is that really a thing ?????

Hankroyd

Christopher wrote:

(...) Just a weird experiment.

I guess it is a succes then: It was very weird. :)

Blackfang108
Playtester

Hankroyd wrote:

Out of curiosity : Pumpkin with Pasta ... Is that really a thing ?????

It is not unheard of, but Summer, Zuccini and Butternut Squashes are all more common.

Edit: And I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't finish it.  I'll give it a bit more of a go soon, but...  yeah. 

When I was listening to Christopher talk about hte food episode during the Legacy Supplmental, I thought "how bad can it be?"

I should know not to ask that question anymore.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Pumpkin is so bland and smooth, you can make it into pretty much anything.  Pumpkin pasta sauce actually sounds pretty good to me.  I think I may have even had it once, there's a bistro near me that likes to use pumpkin a lot.  One of the less outrageous things I've gotten to so far (about 20 min).  Recommending a pasta sauce only on the condition it not be eaten with semolina-based pasta (which is, like, 99% of all pasta) is just silly, though.

I didn't think it would be Sentinels-based, but I did think it would be an extension of the food-related non-sequiturs C&A go off on all the time.  The question I asked was based on that assumption.  Pretending to be gourmet chefs for an hour (a conceit that fell apart pretty much instantly) was... ambitious.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Blackfang108
Playtester

Honestly, I'd love to see Anthony Bourdain's reacton to this podcast. 

I have a feeling it would be pretty amusing.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Hankroyd wrote:

does the Naturalist counts as a cannibal if he eats gazelle

AAAAAAAAH.
TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That was a thing that I spent an hour and change listening to.

It was worth it, though, for the "Pastry-Soup Spectrum" bit near the end. :D I mean, I had a few laughs, it wasn't that bad, but yeah, I was kind of expecting C&A to just talk about food like they tend to tangent to during the Letters Page. Oh well!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

In all honesty, I thought that was a fun little episode. It gave us a glimpse into a different universe, and I always love that. :D

The one thing that sort of made me go "That just sounds terrible" was the idea for the bacon-cornbread-cheese Icing birthday cake...Yet I'm still morbidly curious enough to willing to give it a try. ;P

But! What happened to Chef Adam and Cheff Christopher after the episode ended? Did they cease to exist, like the strange warning told them they would? I hope they're okay! D:

Edit: Am I the only one so far that listened through the whole episode?

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I listened to it all, but yeah, I was much more looking forward to "Christopher and Adam talk about food for an hour", rather than the in character tomfoolery.

I actually submitted quite a few questions, none of which got answered, because they really didn't fit the mold of the episode. In particular, I asked about their favourite gaming conventions in terms of food, as well as their 'must have it' spots at the various cons.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'd almost suggest they do a not-in-character version of the foodcast someday, but I expect the idea has been thoroughly tainted now.

Hopefully future extrasodes will be more genuine. :B

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

I listen to the whole thing, mostly because of my question at the end. I laugh Hard at the start, I have listened to food podcast. But the joke died a bit 20 min into it, It came back where readying letters. You guys know enough to be able to talk about food but not at the level you were trying to do. I didn't hear measurements or going too far into specifics (I mean kinda but not specific stuff). 

You can make anything into a pasta. Where it is good or easy is a different thing. I also didn't hear too many jokes or the characters going far into the deep end. Also, I like when Adam is a heal.

In the end, it was a funny joke that went on for too long.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yeah, maybe a half hour was a better length to shoot for Christopher and Adam's Delicious Dish.

Anyway, under no circumstances are matzah balls dumplings.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

I listened to the whole thing. But I was working late and had it on in the background. Almost turned it off a few times though, but there were just enough little jokes strewn in that I kept it going. This is the first episode I'll only listen to once though.

A+ on C&A's dedication to their bit, but I would've enjoyed C&A talking about food a LOT more than I enjoyed the two chefs discussing it.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Trajector wrote:

Anyway, under no circumstances are matzah balls dumplings.

Wikipedia disagrees... :3

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Pretty much any description I can find of Matzah Balls refer to them as a dumpling 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

It's the gnocchi debate all over again! D:

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I think this qualifies as a sub-debate of gnocchi...

Though the classification thereof could be a debate in and of itself! The spiral never ends and by spiral I of course mean spiral pasta

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Well, in this humble contributor's opinion, having a filling is essential to being a dumpling, and also calling anything made of matzah a "dough" is really a...stretch.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’ve had dumplings without a filling.  It’s not a requirement.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

It seems every food style has at least one variation on the theme of "meat/veggie/cheese with a starch wrapped around it," dumplings, empanadas, ravioli, etc.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

English (at least in my idiolect) uses "dumpling" for two rather different food items: either something like a Wonton, with dough around a filling, or something with no filling like these boiled Jamaican dumplings: http://jamaicans.com/dumpling/

Many (most?) languages have two different words for these foods.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Bad matzoh balls can be hard, heavy, and doughy, but good ones are light and fluffy (considering they're saturated with soup). They're just as light as the dumplings that come with chicken 'n' dumplings.

I'm more concerned with Christopher's liking Tommy Atkins mangoes, especially in his role as a chef. That's like saying Hershey's bars are one of your favorite kinds of chocolate, or that Velveeta is one of your favorite cheeses. I mean, to each their own, but most connoisseurs would laugh in your face.

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

The chicken and dumplings qualifier is important. The word 'dumpling' in English comes from that style: you just sort of dump floury dough into water, and then you have a dumpling, no fillings required.

Blackfang108
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

I think this qualifies as a sub-debate of gnocchi...Though the classification thereof could be a debate in and of itself! The spiral never ends and by spiral I of course mean spiral pasta

How so?

Gnocchi literaly translates as "dumplings."

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Blackfang108 wrote:
How so? Gnocchi literaly translates as "dumplings."
Not exactly.  It's translated as "dumplings" because that's what the general consensus is that they are.  It literally means "lump" or "knot" (as in wood).

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

So does that make them knot dumplings, or not dumplings? :V

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Really, the only mangoes I love are the ones I've picked from trees in Venezuela, where I grew up. So, like, be snobbish about mangoes all you like - mangoes that fresh are hard to find most anyplace else.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

This is true. Regardless of breed, the freshest fruit is the best fruit. Fresh-off-the-tree mangoes are one of life's great pleasures.

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

A friend of mine makes a mean matzah lasagne at Passover. I think Chefs Christopher and Adam would be intrigued!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

I have to go against the grain (ha pasta pun *hi-fives self*) and say I loved this episode. While I couldn't get past the Miss Info ep and have been backlogged since then, this episode was amazing and extremely easy and I would venture to say that the soothing voices of Chefs Adam and Christopher be put into the hall of fame with misters Bob Ross and Fred Rogers. I found the salt bit hilarious (oh, you're a card) and loved the entire episode thoroughly. This is my favorite non-episode by far. Thank you a million for doing this and making my entire day.

Also Christopher, should you be able to contanct your Il Alimento counterpart, would you please inform him that a) I love the entire podcast, but I would greatly appreciate a part 2 to episode 77, b) as he probably already knows, pumpkin and beets are used in tomato-free marinara, and I eagerly await his reaction to these sauces. and c) I would suggest they review more French cuisine, as I am saddened by how little time they pay to the country that brought me my love of the culinary as well as my culinary education. 

Au revoir,

Chef Flash Fire

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012