The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Extrasode #1: The GTG Origin Story

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester
Extrasode #1: The GTG Origin Story

Want to know where and how it all began?

Read Listen to the origin story right HERE.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

You can watch it too https://youtu.be/uvgcHQ_MQnM

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Blackfang108
Playtester

Notes: Today I learned that my wedding is going to be on Christpoher's birthday.

I played that terrible, terrible DBZ RPG.  both before and after the fan translation was a thing.

I remeber that fun, but totally not really Star Wars Star Wars CCG.  I played the ST:TNG one more, though.  (side note, I never understood the SW/ST divide)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This might actually be my all-time favorite episode of the Letters Page, for all that it's somewhat outside being an actual LP episode. It was exciting and gripping, stumbling into success alongside Christopher and Adam and getting to hear their life stories. I'm honestly inspired. Thank you, C&A, for sharing this with us. (And thanks to the Patreons, too, for being serious bros. ;_; )

Hankroyd

Am I the only one to truly enjoy the DBZ RPG ?

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

All of my friends enjoyed it. I joined into a game a few sessions in, all of my friends where sayains and I was human. After beating them up in training, I was unable to really hit them afterwards. Just the like the show it became the Sayain show and I stop playing.  That d6 system ment you could only fight things very close to your level.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Reverend Pete

TakeWalker wrote:

This might actually be my all-time favorite episode of the Letters Page, for all that it's somewhat outside being an actual LP episode. It was exciting and gripping, stumbling into success alongside Christopher and Adam and getting to hear their life stories. I'm honestly inspired. Thank you, C&A, for sharing this with us. (And thanks to the Patreons, too, for being serious bros. ;_; )

I was going to write this exact same thing.

This was the best episode ever.

Blackfang108
Playtester

speedyolrac wrote:

All of my friends enjoyed it. I joined into a game a few sessions in, all of my friends where sayains and I was human. After beating them up in training, I was unable to really hit them afterwards. Just the like the show it became the Sayain show and I stop playing.  That d6 system ment you could only fight things very close to your level.

We've been talking about the Super Famicom RPG, not a tabletop one.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Reverend Pete wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:

I was going to write this exact same thing. This was the best episode ever.

+1

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Christopher wrote:
I don't think what's happened has been very realistic.

...I think that's got be get framed and put on the wall in GtG headquarters.
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Is discord a patreon patron only thing?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Blackfang108
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Is discord a patreon patron only thing?

Yes.  Contributor level only.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Reverend Pete wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:

I was going to write this exact same thing. This was the best episode ever.

The really weird thing, in contemplating my reaction to this...

Most of my interactions here and elsewhere have been "Sentinels! Sentinels! Sentinels!" and a side-order of Spirit Island and others.

But this episode cements it: I am not in the Sentinels fandom, I am in the Greater Than Games fandom. And that is just not something I'd have ever expected.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

It was the Super Famicom DBZ, I think is was called Super-Sayajin Densetsu. I actually enjoyed it too, I took screenshots and made gifs of all the ki attacks back then, and I’ve replayed it a few times since. That said, it’s pretty broken, there are a few points where you can screw up the scripting and make it impossible to progress.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

speedyolrac wrote:

One of my buddies found a tabletop DBZ rpg, and it seems interesting. it follows the same kind of mechanic set-up as Vampire the Masquerade, all your stats being represented by dots and each dot being a D10 and such.

It looked pretty fun, but the friend that found it never ran it. It was too bad because I really wanted to test out a sayian. Apparently the more damage they take the more exxperience they get, which is pretty cool.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Great episode, and a story I've always wanted to hear.

Also warms my heart to know there are more Shining Force 2 fans out there. :D

(Would ask Christopher who his favorite character from the series is, but odds are he'd say all of them. Adam might give a straight answer though. :) )

riff.freelance
riff.freelance's picture

I went and looked back at the DBZ TT game, it is broken as sin... I'll never know how my friends and I turned it into a 5 year campaign and will remember it for the rest of our lives... except that by the end we wern't really using those rules as much as a house game flavored by those rules.

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

That was a very sweet and inspiring episode, it got me to pick up that old miniature game project and keep working on it. Thank you, guys.  

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This is a tangential post to say that all this talk of an emulated, un-translated DBZ RPG just makes me think of the Sailor Moon RPG a buddy of mine played in college. We never had any idea what was going on, but it was neat!

Demiher0
Demiher0's picture
Playtester

Never played the DBZ RPG it sounds fun if broken. But we always end up playing Tenra Bansho Zero if we want to play an anime style game.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I liked Slade the thief and Bleu the dragon from the first one. NPC I always loved the demon who had the mansion with the chess pieces in SFII

Blackfang108
Playtester

Adam wrote:

I liked Slade the thief and Bleu the dragon from the first one. NPC I always loved the demon who had the mansion with the chess pieces in SFII

SFII?  SaGa Frontier 2?  Shining Force 2?  (I'm guessing it's not Street Fighter 2)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Shining Force 2 as that’s the other game mentioned in this episode. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Blackfang108
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Shining Force 2 as that’s the other game mentioned in this episode. 

Ah, forgot about that.  Thanks!

**updates list of games to be played**

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I've tried to play Shining Force 2 a couple of times.  I don't feel like it's aged well, it's hard to get into with modern sensibilities, and I'm a huge fan of tactical RPG's.

I wonder if there are any indie developers who'd want to build that fighting game for them?  Mane6 is doing some great early access work on Them's Fightin' Herds, and given their company name, I can't imagine they have anything else they're working on (though they're far from finished).  And they have experience working with a third-party artist.  Lab Zero hasn't had a hit other than Skullgirls, and that would be a great engine to base a Sentinels fighting game on.  Anyone else come to mind?

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I adore LabZero's animation, and they're working on a game now called Indivisible that looks to play like Valkyrie Profile. So sign me up there.