The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 86 of the Letters Page - Burying the Blade

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 86 of the Letters Page - Burying the Blade

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Have yet to give the episode a listen, but I will say I appreciate them putting in a 'Spoilers' tag in the show notes for those of us who haven't been able to play OblivAeon yet.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Hey, Jeysie was right about Powerhound letter! :D

That was a good story, and once again I'm sad they're not making any new stuff for the card game. Given it came right before his debut as a hero, there should definitely be a Realm of Discord Luminary variant.

Powerhound_2000

TakeWalker wrote:

Hey, Jeysie was right about Powerhound letter! :D

Huh?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

So I liked the description of how the Sabre Battle Drones enter play.   Once Jean-Marc has the Mordengrad music done I’ll need to play that while deploying devices as Luminary :D

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I ended up stopping the episode only a few questions in once they started talking about cards I didn't recognize.

OblivAeon needs to be delivered to my home soon. Along with wanting it for over almost 2 years now, I have a growing backlog of podcasts to listen to. :(

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

That was a good story, and once again I'm sad they're not making any new stuff for the card game. Given it came right before his debut as a hero, there should definitely be a Realm of Discord Luminary variant.

I'm just waiting to see the Groovy  variant set. ;-)

But in seriousness, a Realm of Discord Luminary would be awesome.

Powerhound_2000

While I certainly wouldn’t be against more variants a Realm of Discord one for Luminary wouldn’t make much sense.  At that point he does not have access to his devices and is just holding on from dealing with his injuries.   

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah, so you make the power revolve around destroying your own Devices and then, I dunno, dealing damage or healing based on its HP. Half HP. I may have been thinking about this already.

Powerhound_2000

Thematically I don’t see a way to justify a Realm of Discord Luminary 

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Thematically, shmematically. He just has to be wearing a tattered portal fiend-skin cloak, and it'll LOOK awesome!

I think the power should be somehow about his teleportation abilities.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

The theme is "I don't know how you'd do this as a Blade variant", "more variants are good variants" and "heroes with only one variant need more". So as you can see, this is very thematic. :V

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I enjoyed the story part, but there was one bit of language usage that grated on me the entire time. "Prolate" is an adjective, and so the portal fiends' eyes can't be described as simply "prolates."  the missing word for what they wanted was "spheroid" - that is, the phrase "prolate spheroid."   For those who care, the variety that's squished in the other direction (flattened at the poles and bulging at the equator, like the Earth) is called an "oblate spheroid."

FearLord

The one thing I don’t really understand about Luminary is why Baron Blade would change his name to fight OblivAeon at all - he isn’t fooling anyone as far as I can see (hero or joe public) into thinking he’s a different person, and it seems clear that his intention is only to team up with the Heroes to stop OblivAeon rather than trying to turn over a new leaf - being Baron Blade is essentially who he is regardless of concepts like ‘good’ and ‘evil’ so I think based on what we know about the character he’d probably still just call himself ‘Baron Blade’ wouldn’t he?

Powerhound_2000

From what we’ve been told he clearly refers to himself as Luminary during this.   I’d recommend sending this in as a follow up question for the Editor’s Note. 

FearLord

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

From what we’ve been told he clearly refers to himself as Luminary during this.   I’d recommend sending this in as a follow up question for the Editor’s Note. 

Good idea! It just seems odd to me that he’d do that, when it just seems to me that he thinks of himself as Baron Blade, the hero of Mordengrad throughout - I.e. he’s never really been the bad guy of his own story and ultimately he’s still team Baron Blade rather than ‘team villain’ or ‘team hero’.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Although deciding to call himself a luminary is certainly very consistent with his character.  Sure, he's always been Baron Blade, the hero of Mordengrad, but now he also gets to be Luminary, the guiding light who helps lead the heroes to victory against Oblivion.  He understands the nature of the threat, he understands what must be done, and he's the one best able to make sure that happens, if only the heroes would be wise enough to listen to his advice.  As far as I can tell, Blade has always considered himself to be the smartest person in the room, and choosing the name Luminary is definitely consistent with that.

Plus, there's a certain panache in taking on a hero name and then trying to out-hero the heroes, literally beating them at their own game and showing them how it's done.

I also wonder if there might also be a slight dig at Legacy in the name Luminary... Since Legacy's symbol is a lantern (i.e. source of light), I wonder if Blade went with Luminary as a subtle way of indicating that he's a better source of light.  ("Light" here being symbolic of wisdom / understanding / elightenment.)

FearLord

dprcooke wrote:

Although deciding to call himself a luminary is certainly very consistent with his character.  Sure, he's always been Baron Blade, the hero of Mordengrad, but now he also gets to be Luminary, the guiding light who helps lead the heroes to victory against Oblivion.  He understands the nature of the threat, he understands what must be done, and he's the one best able to make sure that happens, if only the heroes would be wise enough to listen to his advice.  As far as I can tell, Blade has always considered himself to be the smartest person in the room, and choosing the name Luminary is definitely consistent with that.

Plus, there's a certain panache in taking on a hero name and then trying to out-hero the heroes, literally beating them at their own game and showing them how it's done.

I also wonder if there might also be a slight dig at Legacy in the name Luminary... Since Legacy's symbol is a lantern (i.e. source of light), I wonder if Blade went with Luminary as a subtle way of indicating that he's a better source of light.  ("Light" here being symbolic of wisdom / understanding / elightenment.)

You might be on to something there - you could certainly look at it as a dig against Legacy - Legacy literally calls back to the past whereas a Luminary would be looking forward to the future... it’s just curious to me - all the other Villain to hero name changes make a lot of sense to me (they have either Physically or mentally changed) but Baron Blade / Luminary seems pretty close to how he always was (he’s grown as a character, and he’s pragmatic enough to know that he needs to ally himself with the heroes to defeat OblivAeon and Voss) but nothing about his actions is trying to distance himself from being Baron Blade - in fact in someways he actively embraces what it means to be Baron Blade - I guess I’d have expected him to style himself as ‘Baron Blade: saviour of Earth’ or ‘Baron Blade: Hero of the Multiverse’ or something equally grand rather than taking an unrelated name that did nothing to forward his ‘brand’...