The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 78 of the Letters Page Golden Age Radio Play

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 78 of the Letters Page Golden Age Radio Play

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Oh my god. Oh my god. 

the very use of the phrases Gadzooks and Egad. 

His name is Sephiroth but his friends call him Sephie.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

That was everything I had hoped it would be.  And SO MUCH MORE.

I loved it.  Every minute.  The era dialogue, bad jokes, voices, the sound effects (Trevor did some great work), and even the ads were great.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Trevor knocked it out of the park.  Legacy sounded like he had a cold, though.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Boy, was this fun. :D I think it was everything they wanted it to be. And now we have a new 'verse!

(And now I'm pulling together a Dr. Dour villain deck in my head...)

The Girl With N...

This reference is gonna date me, but Dr. Dour sounds like Old-Timey Strong Bad. 

"Says here in the news-papper that the encapturement of the new apparition garners top reward of 26 and one pennies. We could buy the monocle off Rockefeller's very eyeball with that kind of cash!"

Escher

TakeWalker wrote:

(And now I'm pulling together a Dr. Dour villain deck in my head...)

I was thinking about Doctor Dour as a sort of hybrid of Spite and Baron Blade. "Toxic Terror" is obviously the flip-side card title.  (The front side could be, oh... "Poisonous Professor", maybe.) Actually, going a little further afield, I could totally see a villain deck of a Hyde-like character who acts like a villainous mastermind until he drinks his Monstrous Mutagen and flips to his monster form for a limited time.

That aside, I guess I didn't really get the joke with Todd Leto(?)'s awfully crunchy pressed corn snack biscuits.  Is it just because they're describing Fritos or is there something more to it?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It’s a reference to Toditos a joke they made in the first episode I think. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Powerhound's got it.

In the very first episode they made a joke about "Todidos" chips being very good. "They're the crunchiest" was the tag line for the chips. (I not 100% sure, but I *think* it waz a "this episode brought to you by" -type joke).

They remembered the joke when they did the Legacy recap episode, and specifically made it again in last week's shipping episode. (Specifically, Christopher said he had a Bumblr dedicated to his love of Todidos. Why? They're the crunchiest.)

I didn't actually get the joke during this episode until Tod Lido said "they're awefully crunchy", at which point I clued in to the joke and started laughing out loud while walking down the street.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I actually assumed there was going to be a Todidos ad the moment I realized there were going to be ads in this thing (which happened a few minutes in).  So it leapt out at me right away.

I'm trying to remember the other joke products they've talked about.  I recall an energy drink at one point, but they didn't have those in the 40's.

Submit your games here!

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

MindWanderer wrote:

I recall an energy drink at one point, but they didn't have those in the 40's.

huh. weird research hole... 

TheNewYorkTimes wrote:

In 1949, a chemist from Chicago invented Dr. Enuf, a caffeinated soft drink made with vitamins. Early advertisements called his drink “the answer to a housewife’s prayer, the bosom companion of a tired farmer or businessman and a shift into high gear for young Johnny or Mary.” (Although it never sold very well, the beverage still exists.)

and an even stranger one to me:

The active ingredient in these drinks was radium, a radioactive element that releases a packet of radiant energy with every atomic decay. While the connection between consuming a radioactive element and reaping a perceived energy boost is tenuous at best, it didn’t stop people in the early 1900s from ignoring the known downsides of ingesting radioactivity and risking the long-term health consequences.

"But dice are dice, and Dice are Fickle"

Internet Pseudonyms: PseudonymTwitch, PseudonymTweetr, PseudonymGamer

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

I'm trying to remember the other joke products they've talked about.  I recall an energy drink at one point, but they didn't have those in the 40's.

The other in this episode was for Morton & Jepsum's (or something like that, I haven't verified spellings yet) All-Purpose Medicinal Healing Elephant Balm. Apparently good for dry skin, hair, nails, or eyes; as something to help you get to sleep at night or to wake up in the morning; and getting rid of dark under-eye circles or bad breath.

Edit - it occurs to me that you may have meant specifically fake products in earlier episodes/discussions. All I have there is the Funny Bunny chocolate company, but I don't recall if it was a fictional brand appearing only within the comics or if it was a brand in the publishing meta-verse as well (or if it was even specified anywhere at all).

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

WalkingTarget wrote:
All I have there is the Funny Bunny chocolate company, but I don't recall if it was a fictional brand appearing only within the comics or if it was a brand in the publishing meta-verse as well (or if it was even specified anywhere at all).

Funny Bunny is a brand shown on billboards in Megalopolis in the digital game.  It was brought up during the Urban Environments episode.  It is a fictional brand within the comics.  (I believe the other item shown on bilboards is Solar Flightlines, which is a (computer?) game within the comics.  That billboard features the model Dana Bertrand!)

MindWanderer wrote:

I think you're right about the energy drink, but am blanking on the episode.  I think it would have been somewhere around the time that they were announcing/had just launched the Patreon.  I seem to remember they were discussing needing to make the podcast worthwhile, and they made a few joke advertisements during an episode or two.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Wat was the name if the guy who made that cookie thing?

His name is Sephiroth but his friends call him Sephie.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

I've been building (in my head) a 6-issue run for my players once the RPG is properly released.  The rough plan is that Wager Master is going to show up, transporting the players to different universes, with a different wager each issue or something.  Animal-verse for sure, and then I was considering Xtreme-Verse, plant-verse, and the inverse universe as other potential options.

Well, after listening to this episode a few more times, I can confidently say that the 'Golden Age Radio Verse' will now definitely be one of the universes they visit.  What the story will be I don't know, but there will be voice-over narration and ads from sponsors between the scenes, audible to the PC's only.  (I really liked Dr. Dour, so he may need to make a 2nd appearance).

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

You didn't solicit opinions, but if I may, I think one pun universe is probably enough.  There's a list on the wiki, if it helps.

Submit your games here!

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:

You didn't solicit opinions, but if I may, I think one pun universe is probably enough.  There's a list on the wiki, if it helps.

Opinion appreciated.  Also that's a great list!  I think my players would enjoy the silliness enough that I could easily get away with two pun universes, but it is something to keep in mind.  (For reference, one of my players is planning on making his characted be a special ops Christmas elf, complete with a mistletoe grenade that'll be accompanied by the tagline "kiss this").

gonqueasel

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one - the tone, the rhythm, the dialog all classic 40s!  That was great fun to listen to!

cnranger

I did not get the toditos reference while listening. The commerical was great regardless. But that gag is always funny to me because Christopher and Adam forgot about it. And I can just imagine them laughing at the jokes they made while they relisten to the episode.