The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 67 of The Letters Page: Disparation Freedom Five

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester
Episode 67 of The Letters Page: Disparation Freedom Five

Have we entered an alternate reality where I'm the one who posts many of the Podcast episodes first?

Let's mull that over as we listen to this week's episode:

https://theletterspage.libsyn.com/episode-67-disparation-freedom-five

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Am I the only one who thought "Plaything" was a really strange name for a superhero?

Like, if you told me, "Here's a comic book superhero setting, and there's a character in it named Plaything", I would be thinking creepy little girls, possessed dolls and marauding toys. Granted, that line about her feeling like she's still a monster lends some credence to why she'd call herself that. It's just still weird.

I really do hope we get more Disparations in the future, though. I think I like listening to these as much as C&A like telling them. :D

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

TakeWalker wrote:

Am I the only one who thought "Plaything" was a really strange name for a superhero?

It was a bit odd for a hero name.  But it doesn’t matter since Christopher and Adam are ending it all to get pie.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

Yeah, Plaything sounds like a name a character got from other people, something that a Villain would name one of their enslaved minions or that the public would call a creepy hero til the name stuck. Her self-steem issues must be pretty deep. 

Anyways, this episode made me really curious about Muse and her career as a hero in the main universe (specially if her powers are still as creepy as before). 

The only problem I'm having with these Disparation episodes is that we are presented these cool characters and universe, but soon we have to say goodbye to them. Specially since we see only a couple of adventures for each group we've seen, and these feel more like pilot episodes for shows you'll never see. "Here's the origin story of this Freedom Five, here's an entire adventure on how their 'leader' became an orangutan. Ok let's not show these guys again".

I mean, this is a minor frustration and I'm still enjoying these, and I couldn't ask C&A for more since they already made two episodes on characters that only appeared in a single card.

Anyways, still good fuel for the RPG (I so want to make a character with Evil Expatriette/Night Terror's powers). 

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

TheBazaarClerk wrote:

"Here's the origin story of this Freedom Five, here's an entire adventure on how their 'leader' became an orangutan.

Oook!

~The Librarian

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I really dug this version of Infinitor's powers so much that I may consider stealing the idea and creating a character with that same kind of 'power-up' powerset in the RPG.

I will say I enjoyed the Disparation Dark Watch episode a bit more since it feels like they dug into the minutia of the story a bit more, but I'm sure the episode would have been MUCH longer if they did that here. It was still really fun to hear about this alternate world, though I'm sad one of the changing factors had to be Legacy dying in WWII. That 'Steele' guy sounds cool though. I'd love to hear more about him.

cnranger

TheBazaarClerk wrote:

The only problem I'm having with these Disparation episodes is that we are presented these cool characters and universe, but soon we have to say goodbye to them. Specially since we see only a couple of adventures for each group we've seen, and these feel more like pilot episodes for shows you'll never see. 

That's true for most alternate reality comic books/tv episodes, they just give you a taste. Sometimes you wish the alternate reality was the main one since the characters were so cool.

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

That 'Steele' guy sounds cool though. I'd love to hear more about him.

Jack Steel is the canon setting's Sergeant Steel. I would be curious to hear more about The Steel Sentinel, though, and how it differs from, say, the Ironclad Project and Bunker's history.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

TakeWalker wrote:

I thought it was perfect.  In one word, it encompasses the hero's youth and her imagination and her ability to control her creations, all without being too on the nose.  I like the name Apex a lot too for the same reasons.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I really liked "Apex," but yeah, "Plaything" was weird.  She creates playthings, she isn't one herself.  The word suggests that she's somehow the tool of someone else.  Too many stories where the bad guys refer to their servants or victims as their "playthings."

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Morris Dugal is Bugbear, right?

I thought the name for Apex was familiar...

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

Morris Dugal is Bugbear, right?I thought the name for Apex was familiar...

Yes that is who became Bugbear in the main timeline

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

cnranger

Nice I did not pick up on that.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh shoot, good catch! :D

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm still trying to digest the fact that apparently Argent Adept looks like Nightmist's twin when gender-swapped, even outside of the possession-based misty hair color change.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Not gonna lie, while I was listening to it (and not looking at the art), I thought the big orangutan was the one named "Ape-X"

Blackfang108
Playtester

The Burning Stickman wrote:

Not gonna lie, while I was listening to it (and not looking at the art), I thought the big orangutan was the one named "Ape-X"

Nope, that's an alternat-alternate Universe.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Ape-X

I love it.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ape-X fights Ape in Ape-IV.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Trajector
Trajector's picture

+1 on Apex being an excellent name.

Jeysie wrote:

I'm still trying to digest the fact that apparently Argent Adept looks like Nightmist's twin when gender-swapped, even outside of the possession-based misty hair color change.

I think the hair goes a looooooong way to making her look more like Nightmist and less like Agent Adept.

Count me also in the column that is less excited by these Disparation stories. I like the stories better when they involve characters I'm already invested in. If the canon Freedom Five traveled to an alternate universe, or Chrono-Ranger and La Comodora were manipulating events in other timelines by having these adventures, I'd be much more interested. As it is, though, I'd rather hear Christopher and Adam narrate a blow by blow story with one of the teams we're familiar with.

Just my personal preference. I listened pretty deep into the food podcast, after all. ;)

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Ape-X fights Ape in Ape-IV.

I'm amused at the one you left out, given that Disparation Infinitor is literally Cosmic Ape.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Trajector wrote:

I think the hair goes a looooooong way to making her look more like Nightmist and less like Agent Adept.

True, but I think maybe it's the shape more than the color. I'm picturing the Quando art with red hair and it still makes me think of "Nightmist with a dye job". Argent has very straight hair; I imagine it'd look more like Christopher's if it was really long. (Argent also has a very angular face, which also makes the look different.)

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

I have to say, I really like the idea that most of the Dispiration universes are more likely to have very similar (or the same) heroes by title, rather than by name. Like, this universe didn't have a Devra Caspit, but it still had a Unity. It didn't have a Michael Conte, but there was still someone with Naturalist-like powers (unless that monster that created Apex was Conte). And so on. 

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

I love that we've now gotten two whole episodes off of a single card.

Am I the only one who thought the Tachyon/Omnitron hybrid Unity was some sort of heroic version of Idesa the Adroit from the Bloodsworn?  I can see Tachyon now that they've pointed it out, but that just wasn't coming across when I first looked at the image.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Discussions elsewhere made me realize this episode was interesting for having the trope "citizens innocently help the bad guys and hurt the heroes trying to save them not because they want to actively be bad guys but because they don't really know better" that happens lots in RL comics and Marvel especially but not very often in Sentinels.