The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 64 of The Letters Page: The Animated Sereies, Season One!

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester
Episode 64 of The Letters Page: The Animated Sereies, Season One!

Hey kids! It's time for another action-filled hour(or two) of animation, starring your favorite heroes! But first, a word from our sponsor!

http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/episode-64-the-animated-series-season-one

#BringDebbieBack

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Not the animated series I was expecting they would talk about. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, me neither.  From what they said before, I got the impression that the late 2000's animated stuff was an animated cinematic universe, not a TV series with feature films connected to it.  I also asked questions about the 90's animated series that they definitely said existed.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

The nineties series does exist they go into a bit later on but this was the more prominent series that apparently was controlled by the Sentinel Comics publisher.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

I hope they do another episode about the 90s series, cuz that's the one I asked questions about.

Hankroyd

An episode for the older serie would be botastic !

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

Not the episode I expected, but there was so much cool story stuff, I'm not complaining.

Also, Tachyon apparently knows how to run so fast that she can generate an EMP.

Which would have been handy for her to remember when she was fighting the Bunker suit about thirty minutes beforehand.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

How much money do they need in Patreon funds in order to make this show not a lie, but true?

Because it would be amazing if that happened.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I never realized there was a second series, but I can't argue with this episode. That Christmas special! XD

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Yeah, that Christmas episode sounds amazing. Just the perfect mix of silly/adorable/funny. LOVE IT.

The #2 on my wishlist is the F5 movie.

The Girl With N...

Ironically, I asked thinking it was the nineties show, and it ended up getting answered. I feel kinda guilty now. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I think we can blame Christopher and Adam for letting us all think it was the 90's show. :B No need to feel bad, it's on them.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Yeah. I kind of got the impression that most of the questions they answered were originally about the 90s show, but since the questions worked for the SCAU, they used them anyway. Since they didn't really explain in advance that this wasn't the 90s series, it's not surprising that's what they had to do.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I think we can blame Christopher and Adam for letting us all think it was the 90's show. :B No need to feel bad, it's on them.

Yeah, that's definitely on us. I think we mentioned something about that on air? We did a bad job explaining that in advance - sorry!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I expect there will be a lot more SCAU questions in a future Editor's Note...

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Much as I enjoyed this episode, I will say that there was one big missed opportunity: The reveal of the post-credits scene from the F5 movie should have totally been right at the end of the episode. Either in place of the normal blooper or after it. But either way, it would've been extra awesome.

Also, the red blinking light was TOTALLY Omnitron.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

I keep forgetting to ask this, but: What is this Inheritance game that C&A get so excited about?

Powerhound_2000

dprcooke wrote:

I keep forgetting to ask this, but: What is this Inheritance game that C&A get so excited about?

I’ve never played it but it’s this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burningwheel/inheritance-0/updates

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'm glad someone asked about that. I was looking for Inheritance on BGG and the only game with precisely that title sounded... like probably not the game they were gushing over. <.<

Trajector
Trajector's picture

This was a surprisingly cool episode.

I think one interesting thing about this animated series - probably one of the ways it streamlined things - is how it leans in to Absolute Zero's powers. It sounded like the idea behind his powers in the SCAU is that his suit exists more to protect the outside world from him than the other way around. In the multiverse comics, his powers definitely come around to that depiction, but his suit starts off as a life-sustaining assistive device.

Anyway...

Animated Absolute Zero

Ice Spikes

Power: Absolute Zero deals 1 target 1 cold damage. Then, Absolute Zero deals a target dealt damage this way X melee damage, where X is the amount of cold damage dealt by Absolute Zero this turn.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Trajector wrote:

Anyway... Animated Absolute Zero  Ice Spikes

Power: Absolute Zero deals 1 target 1 cold damage. Then, Absolute Zero deals a target dealt damage this way X melee damage, where X is the amount of cold damage dealt by Absolute Zero this turn.

Ooooof.  Get out a single Cold Snap in a target rich environment (or even a boosted Impale or two) and that gets real broken, real quick.  With even basic buffs, you could easily finding your base power dealing 30 damage per round or more.  Plus, does Absolute Zero need *more* math?

Demiher0
Demiher0's picture
Playtester

Yes. I enjoy watching the light drain from my friends eyes as a full to very low health coolant blast goes off. :p

Also really enjoyed this ep. Told a nice slightly different story from what we know and allowed C&A to story tell again which I quite enjoy.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I'm sorry but I'm afraid this thread title is a lie. It's actually the kismet animated series.

His name is Sephiroth but his friends call him Sephie.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

Ooooof.  Get out a single Cold Snap in a target rich environment (or even a boosted Impale or two) and that gets real broken, real quick. 

I mean, that was kind of my idea. He sounded pretty broken in some of those animated series battles!
Blackfang108
Playtester

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

Trajector wrote:
Anyway... Animated Absolute Zero  Ice SpikesPower: Absolute Zero deals 1 target 1 cold damage. Then, Absolute Zero deals a target dealt damage this way X melee damage, where X is the amount of cold damage dealt by Absolute Zero this turn.

Ooooof.  Get out a single Cold Snap in a target rich environment (or even a boosted Impale or two) and that gets real broken, real quick.  With even basic buffs, you could easily finding your base power dealing 30 damage per round or more.  Plus, does Absolute Zero need *more* math?

I belive that's what we call... spike damage.

And yes.  Everyone can use more math.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

It's not that bad - when you have Thermal Shockwave in play, just put the health tokens for all the cold damage you deal on the Shockwave card instead of returning them to the supply. When you have Coolant Blast in play, and Absolute Zero takes fire damage, move his HP tokens onto the Blast card.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It took me rather a long time to figure that out, but yes, it's very handy to do precisely that.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

So, hey. Who was clockwork force field lady? You know, the one who cameoed in the expat episode.

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

X-metal wrote:

So, hey. Who was clockwork force field lady? You know, the one who cameoed in the expat episode.

I believe that was a reference to Fashion/Ssdari de bloody. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I was so pumped to know there was a Fashion cameo. :D

X-metal
X-metal's picture

TheBazaarClerk wrote:

X-metal wrote:

who?

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

X-metal wrote:

TheBazaarClerk wrote:
 X-metal wrote:

who?

Assuming this is still a serious question, the Kaargra Warfang episode had a question inspired by Writhe's incap art where he's being branded of what other heroes had been. This gets into a backstory for a character they invented, but hadn't implied the backstory anywhere.

Stylin' Shirley was a fashion/teen romance comic way back in the day about Shirley Shane - a teen model who had all the best clothes, but also boy trouble. That kind of book. 

Later, she got rolled into the general Sentinel Comics roster as an invention-based hero whose gadgets were also part of her outfit and she had the hero name of Fashion (a pun on "fashion" as in "to make something" and also "trendy clothing"). She wasn't a popular character and she actually winds up captured by Kaargra and branded as a Bloodsworn gladiator at some point and taken along when the Colosseum left Earth.

We see her again as the gladiator S'Sdari the Bloody in Kaargra's deck in the game. She's not called out specifically in the comics, she's more of just an Easter Egg for long-time readers.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

WalkingTarget wrote:

X-metal wrote:
 TheBazaarClerk wrote:
 X-metal wrote:

who?

Assuming this is still a serious question, the Kaargra Warfang episode had a question inspired by Writhe's incap art where he's being branded of what other heroes had been. This gets into a backstory for a character they invented, but hadn't implied the backstory anywhere.Stylin' Shirley was a fashion/teen romance comic way back in the day about Shirley Shane - a teen model who had all the best clothes, but also boy trouble. That kind of book. Later, she got rolled into the general Sentinel Comics roster as an invention-based hero whose gadgets were also part of her outfit and she had the hero name of Fashion (a pun on "fashion" as in "to make something" and also "trendy clothing"). She wasn't a popular character and she actually winds up captured by Kaargra and branded as a Bloodsworn gladiator at some point and taken along when the Colosseum left Earth.We see her again as the gladiator S'Sdari the Bloody in Kaargra's deck in the game. She's not called out specifically in the comics, she's more of just an Easter Egg for long-time readers.

thank you. I skipped a bunch of episodes. I probably shouldn't do that.

Blackfang108
Playtester

X-metal wrote:

WalkingTarget wrote:
 X-metal wrote:
 TheBazaarClerk wrote:
 X-metal wrote:

who?

Assuming this is still a serious question, the Kaargra Warfang episode had a question inspired by Writhe's incap art where he's being branded of what other heroes had been. This gets into a backstory for a character they invented, but hadn't implied the backstory anywhere.Stylin' Shirley was a fashion/teen romance comic way back in the day about Shirley Shane - a teen model who had all the best clothes, but also boy trouble. That kind of book. Later, she got rolled into the general Sentinel Comics roster as an invention-based hero whose gadgets were also part of her outfit and she had the hero name of Fashion (a pun on "fashion" as in "to make something" and also "trendy clothing"). She wasn't a popular character and she actually winds up captured by Kaargra and branded as a Bloodsworn gladiator at some point and taken along when the Colosseum left Earth.We see her again as the gladiator S'Sdari the Bloody in Kaargra's deck in the game. She's not called out specifically in the comics, she's more of just an Easter Egg for long-time readers.

thank you. I skipped a bunch of episodes. I probably shouldn't do that.

Skipping episodes makes Completionist Guise sad.