The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode #39 - Oh Captain, My Captain!

119 posts / 0 new
Last post
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I drew Ball Lightning.  Yeah!

Guise gets a card play before my turn if he wants it.

I'm going to Reclaim, and if Scholar wants to play DDA Everyone could put their best damage card on top and we can all throw down.

TEMPEST

HP:  6

Hand:  Ball Lightning, Gene-Bound Shackles, Localized Hurricane, Reclaim from the Deep.

In Play:  Gene Bound Shackles

Trash:  Aquatic Correspondence, Ball Lightning, Chain Lightning, Electrical Storm, Into the Stratosphere, Lightning Slash, Otherwordly Resilience(2), Reclaim from the Deep, Shielding Winds

-------------------------

Start of Turn:  

Play a Card:  Reclaim from the Deep, I put Aquatic Corespondence on top and draw it. 

Use a Power:  Arc of Power:  

Play Aquatic Correspondence (lightning damage to Scholar for nada) Draw Lightning Slash, Vicious Cyclone and Elemental Subwave Inducer.

Play Lightning Slash (lightning damage to Scholar for nada) (5+2) 7 Lightning damage to Dawn [16]

Play Ball Lightning (lightning damage to Scholar for nada) (4+2) 6 Lightning damage to Dawn [10]

Draw a Card:  Grievous Hail Storm

End of Turn: Guise Time!

HP:  6

Hand:  Gene-Bound Shackles, Localized Hurricane, Reclaim from the Deep.

In Play:  Gene Bound Shackles

Trash:  Aquatic Correspondence, Ball Lightning, Chain Lightning, Electrical Storm, Into the Stratosphere, Lightning Slash, Otherwordly Resilience(2), Reclaim from the Deep, Shielding Winds

Effects:  Everyone gets to put a card on top of their deck.

cmschex
Playtester

Autonomous Blade hits Dawn for 2, she's at 8 pending Guise plays after CapCosmic and Tempest turns.  I also put Harsh Offense on my deck (not that we'll need it.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I'll be glad to use DDA, and will put a know when to turn loose on my deck cause at that point she might as well get it all.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Main Computer Room gave me a Tectonic Chokeslam!

Sky-Scraper, the Proportionist!

HP:  15

Hand:  Compulsion Canister; Thorathian Monolith; Tectonic Chokeslam

In Play: Micro-Assembler (Tempest); Compulsion Canister (Citizen Dawn); *tiny* character card; Cortex Hyperstimulator (x2) (Citizen Dawn); Rebounding Debilitator (Citizen Dawn); Neutralizing Resonator (Citizen Dawn)

Trash:  Explosive Reveal; Colossal Left Hook; Catch a Ride; Thorathian Monolith; Compulsion Canister

Start of Turn:  

Play a Card:  Tectonic Chokeslam!  Sky-Scraper becomes HUGE and deals Citizen Dawn net 4 melee damage [6].  Sky-Scraper then deals all targets net 1 projectile damage (Scholar soaks all damage to hero targets).  Results are as follows:

• Citizen Dawn [5]
  • Citizen Sweat [4]
  • Citizen Hammer [2]
  • Citizen Spring [5]
  • Main Computer Room [5]
  • Filter Spy [4]

Use a Power:  Colossal Clap:  I deal net 2 sonic damage to Dawn [3]; Sweat [2]; Hammer [x, but still in play, because of Fixed Point]; Spring [3]; MCP [3]; Filter Spy [2], and negligible damage to hero targets.

Draw a Card:  Undetectable Relinking

End of Turn:

HP:  15

Hand:  Compulsion Canister; Thorathian Monolith; Undetectable Relinking

In Play:  *tiny* Character Card; Micro-Assembler (Tempest), Compulsion Canister (Citizen Dawn); Cortex Hyperstimulator (x2) (Citizen Dawn); Rebounding Debilitator (Citizen Dawn); Neutralizing Resonator (Citizen Dawn)

Trash:  Explosive Reveal; Thorathian Monolith; Catch a Ride; Colossal Left Hook; Linking Incursion; Tectonic Chokeslam

Effects:  Tempest can use the effects of the Micro-Assembler.  Reduce the first damage dealt by Citizen Dawn each turn by 1 (Cortex Hyperstimulator), At the end of the Villain turn, Citizen Dawn deals herself 1 lightning damage (Cortex Hyperstimulator) (Do this one twice!); The first time that Citizen Dawn would deal 3 or more damage, prevent that damage and either destroy Rebounding Debilitator or put it on top of Sky-Scraper's deck (Resounding Debilitator); At the start of Sky-Scraper's turn, I may destroy Neutralizing Resonator to destroy one ongoing.

RanisTheSlayer

At the end of Captain Cosmic's turn, Guise plays I Can Do That, Too! on Scholar's Truth Seeker, hits Citizen Dawn for 2+2+1 = 5 damage, draws Gimmicky Character.

At the end of Tempest's turn, Guise plays Where Did I Leave That..., draws two cards, discards them to put Look What I Found! back in my hand.

At the end of Sky-Scraper's turn, Guise plays Look What I Found! and deals Citizen Dawn 5 damage.

I believe that kills her, but she's indestructible, so we have to wait until the environment turn for her to die.

cmschex
Playtester

Overkill time!  She's down to at least -6 due to Autonomous Blades

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Or you can spend the damage knocking off citizens or environment targets so as to get a bigger effect when everything suddenly drops dead early in the Environment turn.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

No reason to hold back anymore and you had the grace to soften her up for me. *Loud crackling noise as an arc of lightning hits Dawn* And this is for good measure said The Scholar as he rammed the philosopher stone in Dawn's chest one last time, Well anytime now the pain should kick in...

Scholar puts know Know When to turn Loose on top of his deck with Reclaim from the Deep, drew Grace Under Fire with the Main Computer Room

The Scholar

HP:  17 (-4)

Hand:  Transmutive Recovery,  Mortal Form to Energy, Proverbs and Axioms, Know When to turn Loose, Dont Dismiss Anything, Grace Under Fire

In Play:  Truth Seeker, Flesh To Iron x2, Alchemical Redirection

Trash:   Mortal Form to Energy, Get Out of the Way, Keep Moving

Start of Turn: Scholar doesn't discard to keep Flesh to Irons. Fixed point cancels destruction of both Flesh to Iron and Alchemical Redirection

Play a Card:  DDA: Puts Know When to turn Loose into play Scholar discards his whole hand for a measly 4 lightning damage on Dawn (-10), Heroes can put the top card of their deck into play or move one card of their trash on top of their deck

Use a Power: Truth Seeker: The Scholar deals 2 Melee Damage to Dawn (-12) draw Bring what you Need

Draw a Card:  Grace Under Fire

End of Turn:

HP: 17 (-4)

Hand:  Bring what you Need, Grace Under Fire

In Play:  Truth Seeker, Flesh To Iron x2, Alchemical Redirection

Trash:  Know When to turn Loose, Mortal Form to Energy, Get Out of the Way, Keep Moving,Transmutive Recovery,  Mortal Form to Energy, Proverbs and Axioms, Know When to turn Loose x2, Dont Dismiss Anything, Grace Under Fire

Effects: Reduce Damage dealt to the Scholar by 4, Redirect all daamage that would be dealt to hero targets to The Scholar

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Cleansing rain into play for Tempest

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Colossal Left Hook to top of deck for Sky-Scraper, not that it will matter momentarily.

cmschex
Playtester

Harsh Offense off the top, reveals 1 Contruct for 2 more damage to someone

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

What I want to know is how many cards where left until Truth came out to play

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Depends on when scholar got his second DDA.  Once #2 showed up we could lock Dawns deck down infinitely, taking no damage and putting a citizen on top every turn.

With Monolith and Slchemical redirection able to redirect all damage it would have been a Cake Walk from there, since even hero self-damage would get redirected.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Medic-Tank wrote:

What I want to know is how many cards where left until Truth came out to play

Will check.  Upcoming in the RISE deck:

Citizen Assault, Healing Light, Citizen Summer, Channel the Eclipse, Blinding Blast, Blinding Blast.

Citizen Truth was 4th from the bottom.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

So both restating auroras and truth were in the 4 bottoms that is one heck of a lucky shuffle

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Medic-Tank wrote:

So both restating auroras and truth were in the 4 bottoms that is one heck of a lucky shuffle

The first aura was just after the cards I listed.  The second aura was 2nd or 3rd from bottom.  So, yes, this could be considered a fairly weak RISE draw.  Some of the nastier citizens early on, but her most dangerous one-shots and one of the most annoying citizens were less likely to be reached.

RanisTheSlayer

I'm really not sold on Guise at all. Every time I play him I feel like I do something every third turn - the rest of it is just drawing cards, playing something that lets you draw cards, and just otherwise sitting on your hands while smacking something for 1 when you can. I don't feel like I'm actively contributing to the group's objective until that third turn, and even then it's a flash in the pan.

I dunno. Maybe I just prefer the characters that seem to have more of a direction. For me Guise will always be the hero that gets pulled as the 5th after everyone else has selected one because A) the villian is already easy enough, B) the bases of what we need for a situation are covered, and C) I'm not taking that particular game too seriously.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Guise is a gimicky hero.  If the gimicks don't line up right you don't do much.

He can still have value when he's doing very little, and often when I play him I sacrifice the eventual awesome round for more effective early play.  Things like using Barbarian or Extreme when you won't get a lot of card play.

But honestly, the best way to play him seems to be building up a huge pile of cards and then playing them all in one round to make the most of your one-round buffs.

I don't play Guise much at all, because I prefer heroes that help a lot in the early game, over ones that play the finisher role.  When I do play Guise it is because the team is solid, has good base powers to copy, as well as Equip I can make use of and ongoings of value.

When one of my friends play Guise I tend to play someone that will give them stuff to copy or steal.

Pages