The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 151 of the Letters Page: Writer’s Room: Headhunter #3

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 151 of the Letters Page: Writer’s Room: Headhunter #3

Either they didn't get my letter or they decided against a poll on whether the Progeny floating head looks cool or not

https://theletterspage.libsyn.com/episode-151-writers-room-headhunter-3

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Girl With N...

Oh, hey, they answered my question! Also, I’m not dead!

Joke’s on Adam and Christopher, I’m now obligated to make a detective character from an alternate 1930s Rook City called F.L.A.T.S., or Finds and Locates Any Trail or Suspect, when I run my Sentinels RPG campaign.

This was a good episode, but wow, they weren’t kidding about the format being different. I’ve missed so much... Can anyone who’s been keeping track of TLP point me to some, like, key episodes I should listen to from the past year? Just so I know the really important stuff that I missed, and I can start with those as I trawl through the backlog.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Lots of good episodes in the past year.  And glad you're still around 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The Girl With No Name wrote:
Can anyone who’s been keeping track of TLP point me to some, like, key episodes I should listen to from the past year? Just so I know the really important stuff that I missed, and I can start with those as I trawl through the backlog.

You can always read WT's handy notes as delightfully advertised in the episode. :3

But if you want to actually listen, most of the episodes of the past year are individual issues and so mostly dependent on how much interest you have in the story being featured. So general interest episodes would be anything labelled "[character] Supporting Cast" or "[character] Villains", the D-List Heroes episode, and also the Day in the Life Bunker episode as it's sort of a Bunker Supplemental and the recent "Writers' Room: Disparation Vol. 2 Issue #21" because it's kind of like a general thing about Sentinels Manga.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Girl With N...

Jeysie wrote:
You can always read WT's handy notes as delightfully advertised in the episode. :3
But if you want to actually listen, most of the episodes of the past year are individual issues and so mostly dependent on how much interest you have in the story being featured. So general interest episodes would be anything labelled "[character] Supporting Cast" or "[character] Villains", the D-List Heroes episode, and also the Day in the Life Bunker episode as it's sort of a Bunker Supplemental and the recent "Writers' Room: Disparation Vol. 2 Issue #21" because it's kind of like a general thing about Sentinels Manga.

That is entirely true. Thanks for the tip! The main reason I asked is just because, like, being away for a year, there’s little way for me to tell what has and hasn’t been covered other than the notes or just listening to them all. I didn’t want to look like an idiot by asking, I dunno, “Hey so is Sky-Scraper and KNYFE a thing? I just have this vibe from them”, and then everyone says, “pfft, this loser doesn’t know about TLP175 and the hour-long smooching scene”.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The Girl With No Name wrote:
The main reason I asked is just because, like, being away for a year, there’s little way for me to tell what has and hasn’t been covered other than the notes or just listening to them all. I didn’t want to look like an idiot by asking, I dunno, “Hey so is Sky-Scraper and KNYFE a thing? I just have this vibe from them”, and then everyone says, “pfft, this loser doesn’t know about TLP175 and the hour-long smooching scene”.

In that case, the questions section of Episode #144 - Writers' Room: Justice Comics, Vol. 1, Issue #527 might interest you. No, seriously.

The also serious answer is that the hodge-podge nature of the new mostly-story-based format means it's hard to give a general recommendation of what episode to watch. Especially since the questions sections have turned into sort of mini-Editor's Notes that are sometimes as much about follow up questions from previous episodes as they are about the feature characters of the present episode. :>

I've been thinking of how to restructure the Podcast wiki index to reflect it being harder lately to quickly pick out what an episode involves from the title alone, but it's going to take some brainstorming.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Interesting note:  Trollans are actually already a race in a major creative universe.

Orko from Masters of the Universe features the planet Trolla, and calls its denizens Trollans.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I don't know if there are any actual Scottish membres of this fandom, but that one letter killed me. XD

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I figure considering the quantity of existing known European Sentinels fans, there's gotta be at least one lurking out there.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:
I don't know if there are any actual Scottish membres of this fandom, but that one letter killed me. XD

Can someone do a transcription of the first sentence of that letter? I have no clue what Adam was saying...

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Also, bonus points to anyone that finds the major plot hole in this episode. (I posted it in the Spoiler Talk section of the Discord, so don't look there if you want to play.)

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

dpt wrote:
Also, bonus points to anyone that finds the major plot hole in this episode. (I posted it in the Spoiler Talk section of the Discord, so don't look there if you want to play.)

I am guessing it is the fact that C&A messed up how their time dilation was working.

If time runs much faster on the planet, and Progeny crashed there weeks ago and moved on, that means that every minute outside is a much longer period on the planet, not the other way around. From KNYFE's point of view, she could spend days or weeks on the planet helping to fix things without Progeny being able to get very far away out in space.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

FrivYeti wrote:
I am guessing it is the fact that C&A messed up how their time dilation was working.

Yup! I'm looking forward to hearing their resolution. I hope it's not just "the writers messed up".

liarliar
liarliar's picture

I assume they just said it backwards. Obvs it’s more drama if just being on the planet means Knyfe is losing the trail, so hours on the planet = days outside it. And I don’t think that’s necessarily  inconsistent with the story - there would just need to be something more at the start of the story that explains that she’s already lost the trail, and it’s getting colder.

or, indeed, we have the old standard of Oops Turns Out Comic Writer Failed Science :P