The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 107 of the Letters Page: Temporal Targets

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 107 of the Letters Page: Temporal Targets

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

C&A were on something that day. XD

I want to see the ridiculous lengths the fandom takes God Guise to.

Also, I can't get Princess Cool's letter out of my head. Envisioning some kind of Disparation comedy issue with Sgt. Steel as the pappy. You could set that up as a one-shot, even! Steel, the other two don't matter, versus Chrono-Ranger, KNYFE and Fanatic as the priest they're trying to get to for marriage, in Champion Studios with Love Interest as the first card. :D

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Not bad; I didn't like it as much as the last ep, but the "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor?" storyline really nailed it...and the implications are glorious.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yes, that comic was definitely the highlight of the episode. :D

Escher

I think I see where we're going with this. The leftover La Capitan, without her ship and supercharged with chronal energy -- I'mma call her Paradox, after her lost ship -- would be a perfect nemesis for Timeslinger (once the universe-shield is broken).  Both of them have powers that allow them to mess around with the local timestream, and she provides a solution for Timeslinger's problem.  If Con can figure out how to pull all the chronal energy out of Paradox and into Timeslinger's battery, it could both disarm a villain and give Timeslinger a much-needed recharge....

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

She's also a great candidate to appear in Prime War.  In fact, now that we have three extremely powerful characters related to La Comodora with ambigious fates--the supercharged evil La Capitan, Dark God Guise, and La Comodora herself--I can easily see an expansion that revolves closely around that, as a plotline if not as playable characters or Prime Aspects.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Four: Concorda.

FearLord

Isn’t that super charged La Capitan the Black Spot La Commodora? I’ve forgotten what her deal is...

Escher

Did Concorda survive the Paradoja ramming Oblivaeon?  If that was mentioned I've forgotten it. I had assumed Concorda's story ended with the ship's.

Escher

FearLord wrote:

Isn’t that super charged La Capitan the Black Spot La Commodora? I’ve forgotten what her deal is...

Nah, Black Spot La Comodora became that universe's version of the Void Guard and spends her time trying to contain leaking void energy.  Some of it got on her.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Escher wrote:

Did Concorda survive the Paradoja ramming Oblivaeon?  If that was mentioned I've forgotten it. I had assumed Concorda's story ended with the ship's.

It wasn't mentioned, but it sure seems possible. We just learned that La Comodora "picked up" the Concordant Helm somewhere along the way, so it at least once had an existence separate from the ship. Its depiction in the card game also shows it floating around, so I wonder if it's now integral to the ship, or if it is separate and could have survived...

Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture

I didn't really understand who all these La Capitans were. Isn't each La Capitan just Maria Helena at different ages? If La Comodora depowers La Capitan-23-years-old version, doesn't La Comodora negate her own powers in this La Capitan's future? Also, shouldn't La Comodora remember each time she was caught by La Comodora back when she was La Capitan causing all this mischief?

Escher

Chilly Steke wrote:

I didn't really understand who all these La Capitans were. Isn't each La Capitan just Maria Helena at different ages? If La Comodora depowers La Capitan-23-years-old version, doesn't La Comodora negate her own powers in this La Capitan's future? Also, shouldn't La Comodora remember each time she was caught by La Comodora back when she was La Capitan causing all this mischief?

Well, that's kinda the whole problem -- they aren't just younger versions of La Comodora. Maria Helena paradoxed her own timeline by interacting with herself. All these spare Maria Helenas aren't part of La Comodora's past, they're branches and time loops and other nonlinear elements.

Like, if La Capitan, age 32, goes back in time and does something to change her younger (age 23) self's history, La Capitan age 32 doesn't cease to exist, but her younger self now grows up into a different La Capitan, age 32, with different experiences.  So now there's two Maria Helenas, both age 32, running around with different memories and the same home universe.  The ones Comodora is depowering are the ones whose personal timelines don't connect to her own; she's cleaning up all the other selfs she's been shedding as she went along.

I think La Comodora remembers being the La Capitan that Jim Brooks brought in for a long, serious talk with La Comodora* but the others are extraneous and causing ongoing timeline damage.

* A conversation which set Maria Helena on a more responsible path, and is, yes, an ontological paradox, because it means La Comodora brought herself into existence, but it's a little late to start complaining about that now.  Her ship is named "The Magnificant Paradox", after all...

Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture

Ah got it! So there's some Hodor-style stuff sometimes but there are some mischievous deviations from the one-timeline rule going on.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Also some of them are straight up alternate reality versions of Maria Helena.  Since they can also cross realities... and mess with other versions of Maria Helena at different points in their own lives... which may or may not be in their own times/realities at the time... which can also cause realities to fork and create more alternate reality versions of themselves... it's just a colossal mess all around.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

La Capitán; the person who treats paradox like its no big deal and gets away with it!

Blackfang108
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

Yes, that comic was definitely the highlight of the episode. :D

People on the train were giving me strange looks while I was listening to that part.