The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ep 65 of The Letters Page- NightMist's Little Black Book of Monsters

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
Ep 65 of The Letters Page- NightMist's Little Black Book of Monsters

NightMist's top ten monster list- you won't believe who's at number 3!

Why not find out where Mankind comes in by listening to today's The Letters Page here

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I wonder what components are needed for a magical walrus 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Hankroyd

"YEW WOOD !

- Oh, I will."

I think I got a concussion from that pun.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Can I get a spelling for the Welsh slug thing?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Hudbwytawr

Sapienta potentia est

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I thought it was "Bob"... 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Did no one ask about the Cthulhian influence in the Sentinels world?  I could have sworn I did, once upon a time...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

According to google, that doesn't exist.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’d hope not laugh

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Also, YES! Thank you for acknowledging that Doctor Frankenstein is the monster!

-- Trajector

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

But Adam is a monster as well he kills Frankensteins monster and later on his adopted sister / wife Not exactly a saint

Sapienta potentia est

riff.freelance
riff.freelance's picture

Yay! My first letter submission and it get's read! Maybe I have to quit while I'm at a perfect ratio... or until I think of another good one. 

Also, my make fun of the names gimmic was shorten the long name and lengthen the short name, but I knew Christopher HATES being called Chris so I tried something else. Glad Adamzander was well recived.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This was another episode I went into with zero expectations and ended up having fun with. :) Can't remember anything specific, but what can ya do, yesterday was busy. :B

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

I loved this episode. I'm a big fan of monsters and occult detectives, so an entire episode just about Nightmist supernatural hijinks was quite pleasant. If I lived in the Sentinels Meta-verse I'm sure Tome of The Bizarre would be my favorite book of the bunch. 

When they mentioned Nightmist fighting a very dangerous creature "starting with G", my first thought was "did she fight GOD?" 

By the way, did they mention what it was? I got a bit distracted at some parts and couldn't get all the details. 

During the magic-eater story I couldn't stop imagining an alternative ending, where Nightmist simply makes a portal to the Realm of Discord and drops the thing on Gloomweavers doorstep. It probably wouldn't work, but it sure made me laugh.

Congratulations to the listener who mentioned the nuckelavee and the penanggalan, you have good taste in monsters (I don't know enough about the mokumokuren to judge it). 

A bit unfortunate that these cool creatures didn't get to appear in the comics, but at least we 

Godai
Godai's picture

TheBazaarClerk wrote:

When they mentioned Nightmist fighting a very dangerous creature "starting with G", my first thought was "did she fight GOD?" By the way, did they mention what it was? I got a bit distracted at some parts and couldn't get all the details. 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I am ABSOLUTELY stealing the Hudbwytawr (sp? I know that's how you said it was spelled, but that pulled up NO results on Google, so I don't know if that was a guess or what. If it's based on real Welsh mythology, then surely it should pop up SOMEWHERE right?) for my Pathfinder campaign.

-- Trajector

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

padcurtin wrote:

Hudbwytawr

The spelling I got from Christopher for my summary was "Hudbwyta".

This was a fun one - I'm probably not as big of a folklore monster afficianado as some here, but I'm enough of one to have really dug what they were going for. In particular I liked their take on Gorgons and how delightfully silly a pack of Portal Fiends would act.

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

Godai wrote:

TheBazaarClerk wrote:
When they mentioned Nightmist fighting a very dangerous creature "starting with G", my first thought was "did she fight GOD?" By the way, did they mention what it was? I got a bit distracted at some parts and couldn't get all the details. 

...Oh.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

The Hudbwyta is not a thing from any extant mythologies. We made that one up entirely.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

But it does mean "magic eater" in Welsh!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I thought it'd be spelled 'Qwghlm!' ;)

So, first thought: how many SASEs do you think will arrive at GtG next week?

Second thought: why does the Portal Fiend card just do damage, instead of something...portaly? It could put the non-character target with the lowest HP under the top card of the environment deck, or something.

Edit: Also also wik, I would listen the heck out of a "Christopher and Adam come up with supervillain doomsday plots" episode.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

This episode is all fantastic stuff I can use to help me flesh out the background of my RPG character 'Jersey Devil'...

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Does he play hockey? He should play hockey.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

The Burning Stickman wrote:

Does he play hockey? He should play hockey.

I am NOT going down that road. Look what happened to the NHL Guardians.

Escher

TakeWalker wrote:

But it does mean "magic eater" in Welsh!

Well... at least, it combines the word for magic and the word for eat.  Putting them together that way is probably totally ungrammatical if you asked an actual welsh speaker. I think hud-bwytawr would be more accurate (magic-eater rather than magic-eat), but I'm not sure.  And the B might turn into an F in that context... or maybe an M... I don't know the rules for consonant mutation in Welsh.

For those who don't know Welsh, W and Y are vowels. W sounds like "oo", so cwm ('valley') is pronounced like 'koom'.  Y is... complicated.  Their pronunciation 'hud-BOY-ta' was pretty much correct.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ok, that makes sense.

-- Trajector