The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ep 44 of The Letters Page discussion- Blood magic

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
Ep 44 of The Letters Page discussion- Blood magic

Time for a nice wholesome subject all the family can enjoy!*

Get your piping hot episode injected directly into your veins, here

*Note your family might be vampires if they all enjoy this.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It was a bloody good episode.   Though it seems I must have missed the cutoff for questions even though I sent them the same day Christopher posted about it as I had items which I don’t feel were answered especially in relation to Hermetic.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It sounds like they have more things to talk about, vis-a-vis Hermetic, so maybe those'll get in later?

I tell ya, all the discussion of how Sentinels vampires work got me nostalgic for my high school days LARPing Shmorld of Shmarkness, and now I want to make a rogue vampire hero for the RPG. Of course, I was always more into Shmerewolf: The Ashmocalypse...

Also, I want to know everything about Orthrus now.

Okay, but I hope I'm not the only one envisioning Christopher and Adam as Shmeavis and Shmutthead after that outro bit...

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Welcome to the Court of Blood episode, featuring one brief question about Bugbear and an aside on Hermetic.

I kinda wish, rather than always saying "Go rewatch this episode", they would start just giving a 30 second abridged summary of whatever they've already covered or just resummarize it. It'd be a bit more prudent than assuming that the listeners either remember the details from previous episodes, or have the time to go back and relisten any time they recommend getting familiar on it again. (Also, for an episode that promises to cover Bugbear, for example, there was almost nothing about the guy. Even if it was a simple re-hash.) I guess it is meta to comics to constantly reference back-issues, though. *shrugs*

Also, got a laugh from the show notes that Christopher/whoever wrote them felt the need to go in-depth explaining the difference between the timestamp having hours:minutes:seconds instead of just minutes:seconds. Feel like that's probably the simplest concept to grok to give that much effort explaining.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I love the timestamp change, never even thought to ask for it and I'm glad someone did.

And, I have to say, this was defintely the court of blood episode with some highlights from some other people. Nothing neccesarily wrong with that, but we didn't even really get a lot of discussion about the hows of blood magic and why it is different from other types of magic, except that it relies upon blood which I could have told you before the episode.

I'm a fantasy nerd, magic systems are a love of mine and I hoped for a bit more.

All that being said, we now know that The Blood Countess is another major power in the world. The type to get sealed for millenia because you can't beat them. That really changes how I view her and her court, along with the offerings of power to various beings. I get the feeling she was doing something similiar to what Amit is doing now for quite some time.

Also, got to say, I love the stuff about the werewolves, that is some cool lore and I'm wondering about having a werewolf character in the game now, which I was not planning on before

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:

Nothing neccesarily wrong with that, but we didn't even really get a lot of discussion about the hows of blood magic and why it is different from other types of magic, except that it relies upon blood which I could have told you before the episode. I'm a fantasy nerd, magic systems are a love of mine and I hoped for a bit more.

I tried with my two questions! But the first answer was basically "they're all different systems" and the second answer got kinda sidetracked on Lifeline (I mean they did at least go "yeah Void Magic mainly doesn't go with anything" which is still an illuminating answer, but didn't explain why).

Though I'm less a fantasy nerd and just more of a nerd in general who loves to know how everything works. (Spoilers: I totally asked how Biomancer's powers work, too.)

The bit about Relict Dorotya was unexpectedly amusing, though. I guess I gotta respect just a tiny bit there, lady just getting her fun on with the fellas.

With the time stamps I mostly got confused whenever they swapped number reference methods in the actual show notes.

The werewolf bit was unexpected but pretty awesome.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Princess Cool

Didn't even know we had werewolves, good to hear.

All in the work of a lunar cycle... wait that is not quite right...

-Sky-Scraper

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

bobbertoriley wrote:
 I kinda wish, rather than always saying "Go rewatch this episode", they would start just giving a 30 second abridged summary of whatever they've already covered or just resummarize it.

But they did give a 30 second summary of Bugbear.  Or maybe a 5 second summary - it was really fast.  But they did summarize the points from the Nightmist episode.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Lesson learned: I should be less flowery and a little more direct in the questions.

While the second question had a very interesting answer (neat to know that Bathory could effectively absorb powers by drinking blood), it wasn't quite what I was asking.

Though I think their non-answer and apparent confusion does, in fact, answer the question.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

mwc146 wrote:

Lesson learned: I should be less flowery and a little more direct in the questions.While the second question had a very interesting answer (neat to know that Bathory could effectively absorb powers by drinking blood), it wasn't quite what I was asking.

Direct questions you say?  That's absurd!
The best method, or so I'm assured,
is to spend all your time
on a quite tricky rhyme
'til your meaning is fully obscured

After one particularly large misinterpretation, I've taken to adding footnotes to my limericks to clarify what I'm actually asking outside of the constrains of meter.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Princess Cool

If it makes it any better, I caught what you were saying and I asked the same question (back in the Nemesis episode though, I didn't submit my questions in time here).

-Sky-Scraper

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

I really thought the second Dracula was going to turn out to be Apostate in disguise the way he showed up and tried to convince people (well, vampires) that things weren't the way they believed them to be.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

If it's the question I think it is, I got the impression they 100% understood what you were asking and just played coy for the sake of humor.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

saykhia
saykhia's picture

I'm not normally one who reacts this way, but I got squeamish while listening on the car audio and had to turn off the episode. Bah! Gonna try again on my next long commute.

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

Princess Cool wrote:

Apperently we could have had a two headed lumberjack werewolf but we don't,  so now I am sad

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

I am kicking myself(and surpised no one asked) about if Vampires could "get close" with humans and make half vampires.  I am going to guess not, because that is a silly concept but its a podcast based on a fictional comic book world and silly stuff happens in comics all the time.  

Princess Cool

rjc917 wrote:

I really thought the second Dracula was going to turn out to be Apostate in disguise the way he showed up and tried to convince people (well, vampires) that things weren't the way they believed them to be.

I feel like this is something he'd do, I mean it wouldn't involve shirts.

-Sky-Scraper

Princess Cool

Nilus wrote:

Princess Cool wrote:

Apperently we could have had a two headed lumberjack werewolf but we don't,  so now I am sad

Technically he wasn't a werewolf apparently, but yes I agree. Robbed.

#BringOrthrusBack

-Sky-Scraper

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

#BringOrthrusBack!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Plot twist: Orthrus's real name is Debbie.

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

Just now got to start listening, and I want to say thank you God for Christopher changing the listings to HH:MM:SS. 

Also, Countess Bathory is a creep.

The werewolf story is adorable and sad, I feel sorry for the werewolves, all they want is children to raise. They are now the protagonists. 

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Anyone who gets this referance gets 1 *TABLE SLAP*.

dclietz
Playtester

Chaosmancer wrote:

All that being said, we now know that The Blood Countess is another major power in the world. The type to get sealed for millenia because you can't beat them. That really changes how I view her...

As an aside, I'd love to see people's listings of their opinions on who the top 10 major powers are in this world... I eat that stuff up in the Marvel / DC universes.   

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

dclietz wrote:

Chaosmancer wrote:
All that being said, we now know that The Blood Countess is another major power in the world. The type to get sealed for millenia because you can't beat them. That really changes how I view her...

As an aside, I'd love to see people's listings of their opinions on who the top 10 major powers are in this world... I eat that stuff up in the Marvel / DC universes.   

I posted a giant thing here, but now am moving it to it's separate thread now that I realize there is one.

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012