The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Environmental Allies and Explosive Wagon

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kratos13
Environmental Allies and Explosive Wagon

Sorry couldn’t anything in the fireside chat, but is Environmental Allies suppose to protect the heroes from a destroyed Explosive Wagon?

I only ask because the wording on Wagons is “When this target is destroyed, deal each target 2 fire...”  

If the wording were “When this target is destroyed, this card deals each target 2 fire...” then it would be clear that Environmental Allies should work.

Without the words “this card”, it seems like it is the environment that is dealing the damage, not the wagon (i.e., it is similar to the wording used in Sustain the Portal).

Thanks,

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The Explosive Wagon is the source of the damage and it’s an environment target.  Sustain the Portal is also the source of the damage when it’s damage is dealt.  I can understand the wording question but unless the card explicitly states a different source is dealing the damage the card itself is the one in control of that damage.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Kratos13

Thanks Powerhound.  Your explanation makes sense from a rules point of view.  For the sake of consistency, though, I do wish the wording was the same as Apprentice Poisoner (“... it first deals...”).  Literally EVERY other environment target card in the game uses “this card” or “it” so when the Wagon didn’t have this wording, my first thought was “why is this? - is this supposed to work differently than other environment targets?”.

Anyway, thanks again.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

We have been fighting for The "Consistent Language" battle for a long time.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think it's been changed in reprints, but Horrid Cacophony (in the Matriarch's deck) used to just say to deal heroes damage, without specifying it was supposed to be Lilian who was doing it. I think this kind of stuff is probably just something that's sort of been shaped better over time, when back in the early days consistency of wording wasn't given quite as much thought, perhaps. But yeah, a Gazelle-powered Environmental Allies makes Silver Gulch a wonderful place to be ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)