The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ending Movement

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
payprplayn
Ending Movement

I feel like this was discussed before, but I can't find it, so sorry for any redundancy.  

The rules state that targets may move through one another's hexes, but may not end their movement in an occupied hex.  For the purposes of this rule, what exactly constitutes ending movement?  If I move-sprint, does the hex I reach at the end of my move action need to be unoccupied, or do I simply need to reach an unoccupied hex before I do anything other than move?  What about powers that move and then do something (swift bot, flying smash), or powers that change your location in nonstandard ways (rocket jump, displacing teleporter)?  Could such actions be initiated from an occupied hex if they immediately followed a move/sprint and ended in an unoccupied hex?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

payprplayn wrote:

If I move-sprint, does the hex I reach at the end of my move action need to be unoccupied

yes

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

It's a good question.  I'd always assumed that each time you finish any movement-type action (sprint, move, flying smash, etc.) you had to be in an unoccupied hex, even if the next thing you did was another movement-type action.  But I've never seen it stated explicitly.

EDIT:  Foote seems pretty certain.  He must have a link or something to back up his one-word assertion, I'm sure... ;)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

payprplayn

It's weird because I feel like I half-remember someone saying the opposite in some other thread, but I can't remember where, and searching turned up nothing, so I asked (again?).

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Spiff wrote:

It's a good question.  I'd always assumed that each time you finish any movement-type action (sprint, move, flying smash, etc.) you had to be in an unoccupied hex, even if the next thing you did was another movement-type action.  But I've never seen it stated explicitly.EDIT:  Foote seems pretty certain.  He must have a link or something to back up his one-word assertion, I'm sure... ;)

It's pretty much right there in the rulebook. You can't end any kind of movement in an occupied Hex, regardless of it's the general move action or anyother way you can move your character.

No link, but 2 solid says of tournament experience that can pretty much confirm this.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

That matches my understanding as well.  I was just poking you for the not-particularly-helpful one-word post. :p

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

payprplayn

alright, thanks.  That's how I would have interpreted it if not for my weird phantom memory.  Still confused as to where that came from. It's one of those weird things that seems to get somehow both more vague and more vivid the more I think about it.  I suppose that should tip me off that I'm making it up.  Anyway, thanks.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I can confirm that Foote is correct in his interpretation of the rules.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi