The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Editor's Note 25: Now With Extra Trevor

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeysie
Jeysie's picture
Editor's Note 25: Now With Extra Trevor

http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/editors-note-25

Covers the Listener's Choice Awards Nominations, Perestroika follow up questions, Mission Deck Heroes follow up questions, and a small variety of other topics.

No schedule yet because oops. Voting for next month's episodes is still going until tomorrow night and the winners will be announced in next week's episode.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

Forgot to send in my nominations. Would have had the question where the gtg crew revealed their SC crushes. Oh well. Still some good voting to be had.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Darn, and that was a good one, too!

Well, I'm pleased they addressed the criticism, and I'm pleased with what they said. :) I'm also a giant hypocrite because I am exceedingly pleased someone liked my dumb Space Dad question enough to nominate it. XD

Much as I like funny things, I think the two that most deserve any kind of award are the audio production and best fan theory category. Really glad they included the latter one. I hope we get breakdowns of how the voting went, because I love stats, and also because I have a feeling the 'most revealing' category will be really divisive. Granted, there was a point where I said, "Oh no, wait, it's that one," but there were like two or three that seemed like shoe-ins beforehand. Time will tell!

Blackfang108
Playtester

Got to be honest, I agree with most of the nominiations except Nightmist's LBB.  I LOVED that Episode.

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

I just find it hilarious that some people nominated some eps as the funiest while other people nominated those same eps as the worst. That just tells me that the audience seems to listen to this podcast for many different reasons.

And yeah. LBB of Monsters was fun in my opinion. So was the legal advice ep though I did hear someone complain about it in another conversation. Quite varied audience.

Blackfang108
Playtester

I fond Legal advice fun, but also cringey.  Probably becasue I work at a law firm (not a lawyer).

Also, seriously the CoG Question from the Iron Legacy episode as funniest?

I'm an incredibly callous individual, and even I went "what."

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I honestly don't remember Little Black Book at all. c.c

And I refuse to vote for Il Alimento as the worst, that was funny. >:V

FearLord

TakeWalker wrote:

I thought the Food Cast was funny as well, but to be honest I’d probably still pick it as ‘worst’ - it wasn’t so much that I didn’t enjoy it, but it wasn’t really the thing that I listen to the letters page for...

I kind of expected the mess with nominations for the questions - I think in my view it would be better to have the listeners nominating the episodes and the creators nominating the best questions - I think that would probably smooth out the nomination process a little next year...

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

If I'm going to be honest, it's the only one I didn't finish, which makes it the worst in my books. The first twenty minutes were pretty hilarious, but the joke wore thin long before the episode ran out.

*EDIT* No, wait, I lied. I completely forgot about the Casting the Multiverse episode, which I also did not finish and which would have been a better text document than episode. 

There's a blackened part of my soul that wishes that we could get the "He Was Smiling When He Killed Her" question voted the winner for both funniest and saddest at the same time, but I will probably actually vote for a different funniest. 

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

BrianleWolfhunt wrote:

So was the legal advice ep though I did hear someone complain about it in another conversation.

I didn't complain about it, exactly. Just that I actually appreciate the Food Episode for being excellent improv that just had a mediocre prompt, while if I had to pick an episode that was just meh all around, the legal advice episode had some amusing moments but was mostly forgettable.

I can get the people who nominated the Multiverse Recap and Voice Casting episodes as they provided IMHO great information but were the sort of things perhaps best just put in a blog post rather than a podcast. The Vertex episode... I can understand nominating it for some hypothetical Saddest Episode, but worst episode?

But IIRC, most of the protesting furor in the Discord was over the Book of Monsters nomination, FWIW. I know that while it wasn't a favorite ep I nonetheless liked it; I particularly liked the bit with the pixie and Charles for giving us some interesting ethical dilemmas outside the usual superhero/villain dynamics. I still am wondering why it was nominated.

I will sheepishly admit to having a dark and morbid enough sense of humor to find That One Cult of Gloom Question amusing in a dark way. That said, I did not nominate it. I was a dummy and mixed up the deadline with Jean-Marc's Mordengrad project and so thought I had a weekend to work on it when I didn't X( but I would have nominated The Director's love letter to Parse in the Shipping Editor's Note, FWIW. I think everything else I would have nominated was so anyway, so small loss.

Those two shipping episodes were a gold mine of humor. :D I ended up voting for TakeWalker's question as funniest because "How much of a Space Dad IS Hugh Lowsley?" got a big snicker from me back in the day.

My votes:

Funniest Episode: Shipping, of course.

Worst Episode: The Fake Legal Advice

Best Audio Production: Something Wicked. While I absolutely loved the Radio Play and thought it was perfect, the Something Wicked episode struck me as something where Trevor didn't have to put in the work of jazzing it up but he went and put in a ton of extra flourishes anyway so I had to appreciate that.

Best Storytelling: The Xtremeiverse episode is still my favorite with the lovingly detailed stories that were also ridiculously over the top, so I had to go for that one.

Funniest Question: As per above.

Saddest Question: The Cult of Gloom has this one locked, IMHO.

Best Fan Theory: I loved the one with La Comodora going back in time to become OblivAeon just for the fact of being both over the top ridiculous and yet still eminently plausible (if of course still wrong).

Most Revealing Question: This was the one that kept me hung up on not submitting earlier, bah, and I still don't really have a personal answer. I voted for the two Wager Masters question out of the ones nominated, as I thought the tidbit of "what happens when there's ever TWO of a Singular Entity?" is an interesting cliffhanger to worry about for the future.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.