The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Editor’s Note 43

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Editor’s Note 43

Christopher despite showing a calendar in the live show fails to come up with one initally here =P:

https://theletterspage.libsyn.com/editors-note-43

Upcoming Schedule:

• Tuesday, July 7th: Episode #150 - Creative Process: July 4th Pet Special
  • Tuesday, July 14th: Episode #151 - Writers' Room: Headhunter K.N.Y.F.E.
  • Tuesday, July 21st: Editor’s Note #44
  • Tuesday, July 28th: Episode #152 - Creative Process: Argent Adept's Supporting Cast

Recording Schedule:

• Friday, July 3rd: Episode #150 - Creative Process: July 4th Pet Special
  • Friday, July 10th: Episode #151 - Writers' Room: Headhunter K.N.Y.F.E.
  • Friday, July 17th: Editor’s Note #44
  • Friday, July 24th: Episode #152 - Creative Process: Argent Adept's Supporting Cast
  • Friday, July 31st: Episode #153 - TBD

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Calendar's there!

Food-Pinion is what Harpy changes her name to after the Oblivaeon event in the Foodiverse.

It was really good hearing them talk about Prime War and Freedom Five. Really excited about the latter now.

That time Christopher got really mad at someone over word misuse but never noticed it should be Los Setineles de Pasión. >.>

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Speaking of misuse of words, one of my random pet peeves is when people say it's better to call our planet "Terra" and our natural satellite "Luna." I think this comes from mid-century sci-fi authors who thought that Latin = science and science = the Universal Way of the Future. But why should English speakers refer to our world by the word for "land" from a dead language? English already has names for those objects, and they are Earth and Moon, and that's because the English language evolved to use those words so. Future speakers of other languages will also use their native words for Earth and Moon instead of the Latin words, just as they do for the other planets (or countries or whatnot).

And even if you don't like languages being evolutionary and you wished there was an organized body that decided what to name things, there *is* -- it's the International Astronomical Union, and it maintains official lists of the names of celestial objects, including Earth and Moon! Which is why you won't see anyone referring to "Terra" or "Luna" in the scientific literature.

Thus ends my silly rant prompted by an offhand comment on the podcast. :P

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I mean, to be fair, nearly every other celestial body in our solar system has its nomenclature derived from Greco-Roman mythology.  It makes sense to refer to the Earth and the Moon in similarl linguistics.  Besides, Moon/Luna is a moon.  The idea of a moon, as a smaller body orbiting a planet, is a term unto itself, so it makes sense to have a name that would directly refer to Earth's Moon.

Not disagreeing with you by any stretch, but I can see the other side as well.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yeah, I get the arguments. But right now, the convention generally followed in the space community is to refer to "the Moon" or "Earth's Moon" with a capital 'M' versus another "moon" with a small 'm.' I think that beyond the fact that this is the established IAU convention, the common usage is going to be what persists and sticks anyway. That's usually how language works, despite whatever the French Language Institute or brand marketers working for Kleenex and Google might want.

By the way, the IAU has been doing a bit of a better job lately of including other traditions in their naming conventions. Kuiper Belt objects, for example, often get names from indigenous languages. (Even the previous conventions weren't all Latin or even Greco-Roman; the moons of Uranus are named for Shakespearean characters.)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Petition to change the pronunciation to emphasize the capital letters:

Myoon

Ee-arth

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

Seconded.

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington