The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Draw X Cards, Discard X-1 Cards

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
CrosshairCollie
CrosshairCollie's picture
Draw X Cards, Discard X-1 Cards

This is probably a really stupid question, but there was some debate at the table last night.  I apologize for not being able to remember the name of the card in question, but it was one of Tachyon's cards and I think Visionary's power.

The card says to draw 3 cards, then discard 2 cards.  Do the 2 cards discarded have to be chosen from the cards drawn by the effect, or can you discard any two cards in your hand?

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Those are two separate actions.  First, you draw three cards.  Once you have drawn your cards, they are a part of your hand.  The second part is then to discard two cards.  Discarding cards is defined by choosing cards in your hand to be placed in the trash.  As these are two separate actions, there is no requirement for any cards discarded to be part of the cards drawn.  (I believe the only time more than one action can be grouped as a single action is if a single action has multiple targets defined (e.g. all non-hero targets, or two targets with the highest HP, etc).  Even target lowest HP and highest HP are two separate actions.)

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

CrosshairCollie
CrosshairCollie's picture

Thank you.  I was pretty sure that was the case, but other players insisted otherwise. :)

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

You are definitely correct, and can tell them so officially now (as politely as possible, of course :) )

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi