The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Don't Dismiss Anything vs Know When to Hold Fast

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester
Don't Dismiss Anything vs Know When to Hold Fast

Suppose the Scholar places Don't Dismiss Anything (DDA), chooses to play the top card of his deck, and reveals Know When to Hold Fast. How immediately does his turn end? Do you finish resolving the effects of DDA, letting other players play the top card or get a card from the trash?

There was an old thread about DDA, but it didn't discuss this point (despite mentioning Know When to Hold Fast): https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/dont-dismiss-anything-interacti...

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I assume it ends as soon as Know When to Hold Fast resolves. Whenever I play Don't Dismiss Anything, I always have the Scholar go last.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Turn would end right then, but before the next turn begins the rest of DDA's effects (and those of the cards it plays) would resolve.

It will work like PW Fanatic's Resolute playing Prayer of Desperation, your turn ends, then one player may use a power, but you don't get to re-use Resolute because it counts as still having been used that turn.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Correllary question:  You play DDA, which plays Know When to Hold Fast, which moves you to the "end of turn" phase.  Do End of Turn effects (such as Gloomy's voodoo pins) happen before or after DDA finishes resolving?

I would say they happen first, but I could easily see it going either way.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Huh, both of those rulings sound reasonable. Is the Fanatic one how the video game plays?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Correllary question:  You play DDA, which plays Know When to Hold Fast, which moves you to the "end of turn" phase.  Do End of Turn effects (such as Gloomy's voodoo pins) happen before or after DDA finishes resolving?
I believe that if you play Know When to Hold Fast, you skip the entire rest of your turn, including any End of Turn effects. The Scholar is too busy relaxing on the beach to be bothered by Gloomweaver's pesky pins.
Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

I believe that if you play Know When to Hold Fast, you skip the entire rest of your turn, including any End of Turn effects. The Scholar is too busy relaxing on the beach to be bothered by Gloomweaver's pesky pins.

No it only brings you to the end of turn triggering those effects and allowing you to prolong your turn when wager master puts the inverted phase order in play.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Medic-Tank wrote:
No it only brings you to the end of turn triggering those effects and allowing you to prolong your turn when wager master puts the inverted phase order in play.
Is there a source for this? I didn't see it addressed in the Fireside Chats. This is checkable in the video game, but I can't do that.
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Yes.  In the video game any end of turn affects still trigger when playing Know When To Hold Fast

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Yes.  In the video game any end of turn affects still trigger when playing Know When To Hold Fast
Oh, somehow I missed that Scholar was out in the video game.

From the above discussion, it sounds like phantaskippy's interpretation is right: you skip to the 'End of Turn' phase (immediately), but the processing of the card text continues.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That is correct and actually an item I brought up for discussion in the alpha testing.   Scholar goes to the end of his turn but any remaining players still get their option for Don't Dimiss Anything.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

How it works with an End of Turn effect on The Scholar as done in the video game.

• Play Don't Dismiss Anything
  • The Scholar plays the top card, Know When to Hold Fast
  • Moves to End of Turn
  • The rest of the players decide what they want from Don't Dismiss Anything
  • End of Turn effects happen
  • Move to the Start of Turn phase for the next turn