The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Devious Disruption - can the damage change?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
drb1004
Devious Disruption - can the damage change?

This niche case has come up in a forum game on BGG and I wondered if anyone had a definitive ruling.

Devious Disruption states, "Baron Blade deals each Hero target X Lightning damage, where X = 3 plus the number of Hero Ongoing and Equipment cards still in play".

Tachyon keeps Synaptic Interruption in play and redirects the first damage back to Baron Blade, destroying Synaptic Interruption in the process. Does the subsequent damage Baron Blade inflicts get reduced by 1, as there is now one less Ongoing card in play, or does it stay the same, based on the cards in play when X was first calculated?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah, further damage will be recalculated based on the amount of cards now in play. This is actually a pretty good strategy to use when you've got Tachyon in play against Blade. :)

drb1004

Right'o - I'll take that as the official answer, thanks. My players will be pleased!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

All I can tell you is that I've done it on the digital version. :D

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Here's a ruling from the Fireside chats that talks about how the value of X is dynamic:

Fireside chats wrote:

If Black Hole Generator destroys a device target while dealing damage, the amount of damage dealt to the next target increases by 1, since X updates dynamically. Similarly, when it destroys a device environment card, the number of card destructions increases by 1, since X updates dynamically.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Another example is Ra's "Scorched Earth" where destroying Environment Targets will reduce the amount of damage done afterwards, gotta hit the Villain Targets first for the best bang for your buck.

drb1004

Thanks guys - all useful info! :)